Drawback to Guide Limitations..? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Drawback to Guide Limitations..?

Drawback to Guide Limitations..?

So I have been playing a couple of games IRL since I left, and we all share the books or have all of them in our library. Short campaigns, with higher leveled characters, and rotating GM's have led to a couple of negative effects: One GM wants to use ALL source guides, while another wants to limit the guides to
Knights of the Old Republic Era
  • KotOR
  • Core
era specific books.

Aside from the obviose (rerolling characters, respec of feats and the like) what other drawbacks can you all see as a major drawback to limiting the player to specific guides?

The drawbacks become greater depending on the type of gamer you are. If a player cannot prepare his character to his liking without specific mechanics granted, he may feel slighted. If a player can see his character, regardless of the expansive list of options available, they won't see the problem.

In the end, is comes down to preference, to which they are at the mercy of the GM. The way I see used a lot is to limit the books to core or core and a setting book, then allow other things on a case-by-case basis, asked for privately.

Agreed. The thing that has worked for most of us is that we have our character's concepts/personalities done first and then work in the mechanics to fit their concepts/personalities. Like i try and have most of my characters be a lawful/good to chaotic/good character/personality. then choose feats and talents that may cause debilitating effects to her/his foes. while using deathly blows as a last resort, and leaving the killing to the more hardened teammates.

i personally love the open source style of a GM game, but can see how utilizing a books full potential can be an even better experience for some.

As you say, this can come down to preference only.

Thanks for the feedback

No problem.

Your method of character creation is the norm for many systems that aren't d20-based. Have you looked into other versions? In my opinion, Star Wars d6(West End Games) was a superior system for making your character almost exactly as you envision. It broke down abilities into separate skill entries, sort of how AD&D did with Skills & Powers. This way, you could fine-tune the pieces of your character that makes the whole.

I hear Fantasy Flight Games's version, Edge of the Empire, does a decent job at personalizing a character. The finished release is out this month, I believe, but lots of good reviews about the beta copy.

Honestly, I can't see Star Wars really being all it can be without a more narrative system, like Fate or Cortex. No need for splat books when you can create a paper duplicate of your idea within the core book.

A lot of non-era specific abilities are found in era books. It is a bummer that a Crime Lord has no access to the Master Manipulator tree in the KotOR-era, for example.