(Pathfinder 1st Ed.) Low-Magic Dark Fantasy Game, ala Witcher-verse? - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

(Pathfinder 1st Ed.) Low-Magic Dark Fantasy Game, ala Witcher-verse?

It seems enough interest has been found. I will post a link to the official recruitment thread after I finish it up!

@dalamb: The abilities from the Scholar class are considered non-magical just like alchemy.

@Arklytte: Ki Powers and Path of War maneuvers harness the spirit within and so are not bound to the notice of the Those Who Walk In Shadow. There are a notable few exceptions to this rule, but they're on a case-by-case basis. There are very few Ki or martial style users in the setting by virtue of how difficult it is to learn how to harness one's spirit in that way. Most practitioners of these arts come from the Shrouded Isles far to the east or else learned from someone who is from that area. The majority of people from the Warring States do not know the difference between Ki/Mystic Arts and those who use them will be considered mages by the ignorant.

Psionics and Akhashics, while systems I am very fond of, do not fit the setting I have created and are banned for use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus Ex Machina View Post
It seems enough interest has been found. I will post a link to the official recruitment thread after I finish it up!
WOOHOO! Cant wait!
Quote:
@Arklytte: Ki Powers and Path of War maneuvers harness the spirit within and so are not bound to the notice of the Those Who Walk In Shadow. There are a notable few exceptions to this rule, but they're on a case-by-case basis. There are very few Ki or martial style users in the setting by virtue of how difficult it is to learn how to harness one's spirit in that way. Most practitioners of these arts come from the Shrouded Isles far to the east or else learned from someone who is from that area. The majority of people from the Warring States do not know the difference between Ki/Mystic Arts and those who use them will be considered mages by the ignorant.
Got it. So, from the perspective of dealing with the dark entities that want to eat mages souls, Ki users are fine, but from the perspective of Joe Citizen, shooting blasts of power from your hands or healing someone, regardless of the source of the power, makes you a duck witch, and they can be burned at the stake, or whatever the local equivalent is.
Quote:
Psionics and Akhashics, while systems I am very fond of, do not fit the setting I have created and are banned for use.
Works. I'm fond of both as well, just wanted to make sure of the parameters of the game.

Hmmm...speaking of, what about divine magic? Does it have the same restrictions/downsides? From a social aspect, I mean. To the layperson, I expect that there's no functional difference. For that matter, what about magical abilities, such as Channel Energy or other powers defined mechanically as 'Supernatural'?

Or...should I just be patient and wait for the ad?

@Arklytte: Divine magic, in this setting, comes from scrolls and tomes passed down throughout the church's history. It is no different than arcane magic in terms of the attention it draws from darker powers and, unless someone is a known priest, those who practice it are regarded in much the same light as arcane spellcasters. I made this thematic choice of divorcing divine magic from the gods so that it raises the question of whether the gods are real or whether they are inventions of the church to keep mankind in bondage to those in power.

Ask whatever questions that come to mind. I won't hold your excitement against you!

That, too, sounds very cool.

It also kinda makes me want to play a divine/divine-leaning caster, because I think it would offer some very cool roleplaying opportunities in your setting.

Tagging for interest, can't wait to see the recruitment thread.