Star Trek System? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Star Trek System?

Star Trek System?

So anyone have any input on the discussion of Systems for Star Trek Roleplaying Games?
I have played (I think) all the official systems and.. there OK, but just kind of "Meh"

I was thinking about Mutants and Masterminds as a system. (I mean you can do basically anything with the system)

Any other ideals.

-

Also on the discussion of maybe starting a multi-GM game. In the vain of the one's where the players actually drive a good deal of the fluff scenes. I actually feel like that would be the best bet for a Star Trek Game.

I was thinking about Star Trek FATE Accelerated (FAE). FAE is a narrative game, which fits the story telling of ST. Unlike its companion system, FATE, FAE has Approaches instead of skills. Which I think is a better fit to ST since Starfleet would expect its officers to be good at their jobs and to remain good at their previous jobs. FAE's Approaches let's the character attempt any task, choicing the best way to approach the task. I think FAE would be a good fit.

I say Savage Worlds in response to all. Course, I don't always type it in a message. But seriously, SW is super adaptable and works pretty well on MW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSwift View Post
I'll take a look at both.
I should note Mongoose Traveller isn't really built to handle the usual TL of the show. Teleporters and replicators will need to be homebrewed. Warp drives are present in both 1e and 2e but with different rules. However you can easily build Captain Archer's Enterprise using only TL10 (polarized hull appears in 2e), maybe 12. Well within the usual levels for traveller.

I guess it depends on what you want to do.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...TrekEnterprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena_ishtar View Post
I should note Mongoose Traveller isn't really built to handle the usual TL of the show. Teleporters and replicators will need to be homebrewed. Warp drives are present in both 1e and 2e but with different rules. However you can easily build Captain Archer's Enterprise using only TL10 (polarized hull appears in 2e), maybe 12. Well within the usual levels for traveller.

I guess it depends on what you want to do.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...TrekEnterprise
OTOH, there's a Traveller setting book for the Mindjammer setting. This would probably be able to cover most of the tech in Star Trek.
I'm not an expert on the show, so I can't say whether the tech it needs is covered by the Mindjammer setting book, but if I was somehow roped into running ST, I'd probably go that way.
I also suspect your biggest problem would be to find players who buy into the concept.

The Star Trek universe really doesn't like games with 'hard' mechanics.

Tiffany cobbled together a Cortex Plus hack several years ago that looked be developing well before it collapsed.
https://www.myth-weavers.com/game.php?g=16363

It had a good feel to the mechanics but needs some tweaking and streamlining. If I could improve my posting rate, it would be the choice for running a Star Trek game.

Having looked at them.
I'm liking parts of some and parts of others.
And disliking other parts of others.
-
I still think that MnM might be the best before (If for no other reason then most people are familiar with it)
But some of the others would certainly be mechanically apt at the setting.

I think the biggest question is what part of Star Trek do you want to focus on? Depending on the answer you could easily recommend anything from Lasers & Feelings to Fate to Stars Without Number to Uncharted Worlds.