This week in video games... - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

So yeah, totally loved finishing up VLR (totally forgot about this thread in the days I spent playing that game lol). I'm currently keeping my eyes open for a copy of 999 and Ghost Trick, neither of which seem to be in stock at any Gamestop in town.

I recently picked up Borderlands 2, since it was on sale for black friday. I've played a few hours of it, but definitely my cup of tea. It's labeled as an FPS/RPG hybrid, but it's really just a loot-rush game, like Diablo (which I also didn't like for its lack of story and character development).

I'm really hating this push to put "RPG mechanics" in everything, then labeling it a X/RPG hybrid. TACKING ON A CRAPPY LEVELING SYSTEM DOES NOT MAKE YOUR GAME AN RPG!!

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
So yeah, totally loved finishing up VLR (totally forgot about this thread in the days I spent playing that game lol). I'm currently keeping my eyes open for a copy of 999 and Ghost Trick, neither of which seem to be in stock at any Gamestop in town.

I recently picked up Borderlands 2, since it was on sale for black friday. I've played a few hours of it, but definitely my cup of tea. It's labeled as an FPS/RPG hybrid, but it's really just a loot-rush game, like Diablo (which I also didn't like for its lack of story and character development).

I'm really hating this push to put "RPG mechanics" in everything, then labeling it a X/RPG hybrid. TACKING ON A CRAPPY LEVELING SYSTEM DOES NOT MAKE YOUR GAME AN RPG!!

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system lol.
I like that FarCry 3 still calls itself a FPS, even though it has those RPG elements. Speaking of which, FarCry 3 looks really sweet. Has anyone played it yet?

There is nothing wrong with combining game genres as long as it is done properly, but since Call of Duty and other "popular" games have added leveling systems as one of their mechanics, now every new shooter out there tries to incorporate it and calls it to be an RPG which is a misconception, since they are confusing a game genre with a game mechanic. Or perhaps they just say it's an RPG to communicate to the less educated gamers that the game has a leveling system.

About FarCry 3, I haven't played it and I doubt I ever will. That game is rather a puzzle to me, on one hand as you might have seen by their advertising campaign, the game has had some great review scores. However, on the other hand players are bashing it for being extremely racist and offensive all over.

http://kotaku.com/5965771/far-cry-3s...is-years-games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
There is nothing wrong with combining game genres as long as it is done properly, but since Call of Duty and other "popular" games have added leveling systems as one of their mechanics, now every new shooter out there tries to incorporate it and calls it to be an RPG which is a misconception, since they are confusing a game genre with a game mechanic. Or perhaps they just say it's an RPG to communicate to the less educated gamers that the game has a leveling system.

About FarCry 3, I haven't played it and I doubt I ever will. That game is rather a puzzle to me, on one hand as you might have seen by their advertising campaign, the game has had some great review scores. However, on the other hand players are bashing it for being extremely racist and offensive all over.

http://kotaku.com/5965771/far-cry-3s...is-years-games
I hadn't heard about the "racism" piece, but that seems like it could easily be true given what happened with FarCry 2 (which I didn't play for that reason... well, and the kinda crappy review scores). However, I *loved* the first FarCry - I thought it had far more creepy ambience to it than many people gave it credit for, and it seemed like FarCry 3 might have something equally as entertaining.

The game is probably not nearly as racist as they try to make it out to be. I mean, this is kotaku after all. It's just like when everyone cried out that Resident Evil 5 was racist because the enemies were all African American, but no one bothered to cry out when the majority of enemies in Resident Evil 4 were white skinned Spanish/Europeans.

I also want to know why that one person at the end found Cathrine to be the most offensive game ever, when the basis for the plot is essentially a man's loyalty to his girlfriend being tested by otherworldly forces, and with the outcome completely up to the choices of the player. For crying out loud, it is a puzzle game, too! It's not like you're running around blowing peoples heads off, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus75 View Post
The game is probably not nearly as racist as they try to make it out to be. I mean, this is kotaku after all. It's just like when everyone cried out that Resident Evil 5 was racist because the enemies were all African American, but no one bothered to cry out when the majority of enemies in Resident Evil 4 were white skinned Spanish/Europeans.
It's really hard to defend Resident Evil 5 against racist accusations when you unlock Sheva's secret costume...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
It's really hard to defend Resident Evil 5 against racist accusations when you unlock Sheva's secret costume...
Wouldn't that be grounds to label the game sexist, rather than racist?

Or so I'm led to believe, if we consider any media coverage over any video game with a scantily-clad woman, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
Wouldn't that be grounds to label the game sexist, rather than racist?

Or so I'm led to believe, if we consider any media coverage over any video game with a scantily-clad woman, ever.
First of all, we've had that thread already if you remember.

And second, no, I'd consider slapping Sheva in a very cliche 'tribal' costume as her bonus outfit, one that has absolutely nothing to do with her background (a guerrilla fighter who became an agent for the Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance) and everything to do with her race as racist. It'd be like, in Resident Evil 4, in New Game Plus if Luis wore a matador's outfit instead of his usual suit.

The best part about RE5 was how everyone was crying "racist" over the stuff that wasn't racist...and then Capcom went and made the game racist as all hell.

It's almost like they said: "oh you thought that was racist!? WELL GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
First of all, we've had that thread already if you remember.

And second, no, I'd consider slapping Sheva in a very cliche 'tribal' costume as her bonus outfit, one that has absolutely nothing to do with her background (a guerrilla fighter who became an agent for the Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance) and everything to do with her race as racist. It'd be like, in Resident Evil 4, in New Game Plus if Luis wore a matador's outfit instead of his usual suit.
But running around in a matador outfit would be awesome!