GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

D&D 5e

Can I use the rules for PC creation to create the enemies for my PCs? And if so, what level should they be compared to the PCs?

I saw something about challenge level should be 1 equally lvl monster vs 4 PCs and that the challenge level of an individual monster should be lower if they are part of a group. But how much lower? Let say they are equal in number, what lvl enemy is appropriate for 4 lvl 3 PCs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLight View Post
D&D 5e

Can I use the rules for PC creation to create the enemies for my PCs?
DMG pg92 says yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLight View Post
And if so, what level should they be compared to the PCs?

I saw something about challenge level should be 1 equally lvl monster vs 4 PCs and that the challenge level of an individual monster should be lower if they are part of a group. But how much lower? Let say they are equal in number, what lvl enemy is appropriate for 4 lvl 3 PCs?
I don't see any specific NPC-lvl-to-Challenge-Rating rule, but the rules for determining the challenge rating of a created monster (DMG 274) should be generally applicable. Cross-reference the result there with the experience points by challenge rating chart (pg 275) and the XP thresholds by character level chart on page 82.

As I understood it several opponents with a combined challenge of X is harder than a single opponent with a challenge of X and as such they suggest a lower combined challenge of multiple opponents?

But perhaps that's wrong then?