New GM: Hidden dice rolls, etc. - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

New GM: Hidden dice rolls, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arasthalion View Post
I use private rolls all the time. It works for me.
I've been experimenting and I think private rolls will work just fine when I want to hide something. Thanks.

Could always use the preview function of a post to get a temporary result and then change up the post to affect the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomischaos View Post
Could always use the preview function of a post to get a temporary result and then change up the post to affect the outcome.
... except that roll and dice tags are parsed anew on submitting the post, changing the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
... except that roll and dice tags are parsed anew on submitting the post, changing the results.
If they are going to be private and not view-able by the majority of players, plus you can hide them from any possible readers, then why post them at all? Why not just use it to check their perception and delete the rolls and narrate what they do or don't see as a result.

I think what freedomischaos means is that you write your post with the dice tags, preview it (to get a result), then finish up your post according to the preview result and remove the dice tags before submitting the post for the first time.

No deleted dice, because none were ever saved.

If you really want to be sneaky about it, you could roll dice in private tags until you get the result you want, then just unhide the results you want to hit the players with. Of course, this completely defeats the point of the dice in the first place, and I don't advise being that dishonest with your players.

It's one thing to keep them hidden to avoid metagaming, but another thing entirely to rig the results like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World of L_Tiene View Post
that's correct BP, but the problem is you can't do that. the preview doesn't work the same as a post.
Could you please explain? I've been using this method for my zombie game to make awareness tests for my players. I haven't gotten flagged for anything.