Notices

Mortals still rule, m'kay

Old Mar 21 '18, 6:22am
DemonBunny

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Recruiting replacement players Exalted 2.5 Mortals Game

Creation's Forgotten Tales - Forum
Exalted

We've had a few players drop out, so I'm reopening the advertisement. Players are Mortals, and there is no intent to ever have anyone Exalt up. We currently have two active players, and I'm looking for three to four others.

The "Empire" of Hon has been beset by rebellion in the eastern marches, and the rebels have taken hold of one of the great fortresses there, and laid siege to another. Both fortresses date back to the High First Age, the captured one is a Fortress Manse, the other just a great fortress built in the time of the Solars. One of the players is in command of a mercenary force, subbed to the actual commander of the task force sent to help break the siege at the normal fortress. They had to stop over in a small village due to weather causing some significant health issues on the march from the capital city of Honsunai, and have just dealt with a couple raiders against the village.

New players would be joining in along the route, or as part of the siege of the fortress of Hu Zan. Members of the military, nobility, and citizenry are going to be present plus there are always mercenaries that show up, because a battle is brewing, hoping to get hired by one side or another. If you create an application quickly enough, you can be a member of the village of Ketta Kalutai, the last outpost of Honese control before reaching the lands controlled by the rebels.

Drop a line, and come join in!

Game Description:

Looking for three to five players, in a Mortals only 2.5ish game set in a Confederation member nation created by yours truly. Characters will be built using the Scroll of Heroes, including Professions and the Merits and Flaws sections. Specifics of the modifications from 2.5E Exalted are available in the game forum itself.

Last edited by Onigato; Mar 30 '18 at 8:57am..
We're still looking for additional players for this here, and characters of all sorts are welcome!

I wish I knew the system well enough to bang together a character. Maybe I'll become a reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Clamantis View Post
I wish I knew the system well enough to bang together a character. Maybe I'll become a reader.
Players unfamiliar to the system are more than welcome, I enjoy introducing more people to my obsession preferred system. The system itself is very straightforward, add an attribute and a skill (called an ability), and roll that many d10s, 7's or higher are successes. I tell you how many successes you need for any given roll, or at the very least what the results were for any given roll. MOST things only need 1 success to work, rarely outside of combat do you need more than 3.

Come check out the main threads, the Rebellion -> Honsunai thread is the current active game thread, the "Empire" of Hon folder and thread is details about the specific location that I created within the world of Creation.

Check it out, ask any questions you may have in the OOC thread (it's open to all), and I'll answer ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onigato View Post
Players unfamiliar to the system are more than welcome, I enjoy introducing more people to my obsession preferred system. The system itself is very straightforward, add an attribute and a skill (called an ability), and roll that many d10s, 7's or higher are successes. I tell you how many successes you need for any given roll, or at the very least what the results were for any given roll. MOST things only need 1 success to work, rarely outside of combat do you need more than 3.

Come check out the main threads, the Rebellion -> Honsunai thread is the current active game thread, the "Empire" of Hon folder and thread is details about the specific location that I created within the world of Creation.

Check it out, ask any questions you may have in the OOC thread (it's open to all), and I'll answer ASAP.
Hm, okay. I'll read around.

I can sympathize; I (try to) drag people into HERO System all the time, but it's an uphill struggle. The main rulebook is on the order of 600 pages.

402 here, so I can REALLY understand the struggle.

Why would you play Exalted, but then ignore 99% of the rules and play mortals? Why not do a different system?

Because of setting. People ignore Mortals as being "Weak and ineffectual," when really Exalts don't have much of a numerical advantage at all. Also, there may be "bigger" stories for Dragonbloods, and world-shattering tales for Lunars/Solaroids, but even in my world where the numbers of people are MUCH higher than canon (Canonical numbers are FAR too low for 800 years of population growth), there are but 300 Solaroids of ANY description, and fewer than that of ACTIVE Lunars. (Some Lunars are chimera, probably less than 50, but there are also plenty who have the tattoos, and just. Don't. Care. Creation turned its back on them, they turn their back on Creation, type of thing.)

But there ARE nations. There is trade. There are billions of stories, some small, some even smol, but there ARE epic tales to be had without use of Charms, or powerful tools of magic. Mortal Sorcerers are possible, and Thaumaturgy is pretty damned powerful in itself. These are tools Mortals have access to, along with sword and shield, spear and bow, and of course the most powerful weapon of all, the word. Without Mortals having power, GREAT power, there wouldn't BE a Creation at all, it'd be overrun and swallowed by the Wylds beyond.

THAT is the reason I "ignore" 2/3rds of the material in the Core, almost all the MoEPs, and run a game with Mortals. It's just as possible to create a gripping tale of, to borrow characters from the active game, Black Lotus Assassin for the "Emperor" and Grass Tuft Strategist Mercenary trying to be more than her profession, as it is to have the tale of Raging Hare Master manipulator of kingdoms of Mortals, or Glorious Release from Agony Dark minion of the Neverborn.

I play Black Lotus and he's a lot of fun. I'd never played an exalted game where we were mortals. I've played a Solar, Abbysal, Mountain folk, Sidereal, Lunar, and Dragon Blood but never just a mortal. It's a nice change of pace and less complicated, since you don't have to worry about charms and their effects.

We're actually at the perfect place to add a character or three, if anyone is interested.