Notices

Stepping out of the light...

Old Mar 22 '18, 10:40am
Vengeance Incarnate

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Stepping out of the light...

Into the Shadows - Forum
Shadowrun

...and into the Shadows. This is going to be a 4A Shadowrun game geared towards the low powered end of things. Players will take the roles of characters who are just taking their first steps into the shadowy underworld of the Sixth World. You are not playing trained and experienced Runners, but people who want to become Runners. There will be a heavy emphasis on social interaction and roleplaying over crunch and mechanics. This is my first time GMing Shadowrun and I'd like to keep it as light and quick paced as I can.

I'm looking for 4-5 players who can keep up a post rate of at least a few times a week, preferably more. Newbie players are welcome. All the character generation details are located in the applicable thread in the game forum.

Game Description:

Everyone's gota start somewhere. You think all those legendary Runners out there just popped out from between their mama's legs with a gun in each hand and a mind to cause mischief? Hell no, they started off just the same as everyone else omae, as complete nobodies. Do you think ol' FastJack new know to slice through the nastiest of IC and do some real wiz shit on the net the first time he ever logged on? Nope. Oh sure it's easier for some; money, security, a good teacher, or just plain old luck and you've gota better than average chance of making it farther faster. The luck is the real kicker. Been lots of poor sods out there over the years with plenty of smarts and determination that never make it past their first run because they get geeked by a lucky shot.

Some do it for prestige, others for the sheer thrill of it. Most do it for the money though. Cold hard nuyen. It's what makes the world go round. It's what makes nobodies into sombodies; what makes sane normal people risk their hoops doing some seriously illegal drek. Everyone's got their reasons, however noble, selfish or even the reverse of that as they might be. The only thing that really matters though, do you have what it takes to not just survive, but also thrive?

I guess we're going to find out. Welcome to the shadows omae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcwbigstick View Post
Old school at player from 1st to 3rd edition. Don't have 4th. Are you looking for street types, corp flunkies, secret society types, terrorists, or all of the above?
Everybody is starting with only 300 BP, about 100 less than "normal", to indicate that characters are less experienced in the ways of the shadow. From various threads in the game forum, murder hobos are definitely not wanted, but a little B&E is healthy for the wallet. Then again, I've seen apps for riggers raised in the Barrens, a bruiser troll who may or may not be the incarnation of an actual Nordic Valkyrie, a blacklisted
admittedly, myself
ex-corppie, something like four different versions of shaman or mage with various backgrounds.

I'd say probably no active corp, or terrorists, but I'm just a hopeful player reading a room.

@Itzchy - Here's hoping I'll have time to post Tusk on Monday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcwbigstick View Post
Old school at player from 1st to 3rd edition. Don't have 4th. Are you looking for street types, corp flunkies, secret society types, terrorists, or all of the above?
I think the tone of the 'room' in this instance is "Characters who would be among the 'slightly above normal' for Shadowrun's society."

So things like:

A talented hacker youth who hasn't done much more than crack game-software and hacktivism.
A ganger with big dreams who is trying to strike out solo to make money for themselves.
A awakened doctor who lost their job and license so now must work outside the law.
A disgraced cop who can't get a job due to unnecessary force dismissal charge.
A gun-collector/nut who finally wants to put 'those big shots' in their place.
A early-20s Shadowrun-Sim/Trid enthusiast who thinks "This totally isn't that hard."

Etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onigato View Post
-a bruiser troll who may or may not be the incarnation of an actual Nordic Valkyrie,
To be fair, it's painted fairly obviously (Delusion quality and her jackpoint write up) that she's completely not an actual Valkyrie. LOL

Though! Maybe! Who knows, she could Awaken at some point and maybe she ends up actually being one? That could be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss View Post
I think the tone of the 'room' in this instance is "Characters who would be among the 'slightly above normal' for Shadowrun's society."

So things like:

A talented hacker youth who hasn't done much more than crack game-software and hacktivism.
A ganger with big dreams who is trying to strike out solo to make money for themselves.
A awakened doctor who lost their job and license so now must work outside the law.
A disgraced cop who can't get a job due to unnecessary force dismissal charge.
A gun-collector/nut who finally wants to put 'those big shots' in their place.
A early-20s Shadowrun-Sim/Trid enthusiast who thinks "This totally isn't that hard."

Etc etc.
Together... they fight commit crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madadh View Post
Together... they fight commit crime.
That would be one truly weird crimefightingcommiting team.

I see that there are quite a few apps already...Are you still accepting new ones? I've got a 'fresh from the Burbs' Technomancer who would likely be a good fit, based on your description. I'll be honest and admit that he's recycled from another campaign (from several years back), but since the premise of that campaign was 'newbies on the verge of dipping their toes into the shadows', it seems like Junco would mesh quite nicely.

I'm not taking any TMs, and the final selections are taking place now. That being said, if you can get something up within the next 24 hours, I may consider you for a little side project for this game or as a replacement player in the event that someone has to drop out.

Hmmmm...well, the only character for 4E I have put together is the TM. If you're interested in seeing him for possible future projects, I'd be happy to post him.

Or, did you mean you're not taking TM's at all?