Dawn of a New Era - Looking for Superheroes - Myth-Weavers

Dawn of a New Era - Looking for Superheroes

Old Sep 3 '18, 7:47pm
Young Adult Dragon

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Dawn of a New Era - Looking for Superheroes

Dawn of a New Era - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds 3e

It all started one day when an explosion went off in the city park. Witnesses described the phenomenon as a bright flash of white light as a big boom went off, almost deafening everybody who was near it and shattering every window of the cars and buildings that were close to the explosion.

But nobody knows how it happened. Aside from a crater the mysterious explosion left in the park, there was nothing found that could explain what caused it. No gas main, no radiation, no remains of any kind of device, and no pieces of a meteorite.

Days after the mysterious explosion went off, something else was starting to happen. There were people in the city who were beginning to notice something that has changed about them, that they are able to do things they never thought would be possible. Their superpowers are beginning to manifest, and you are one of them.

It will be up to you to rush to Tower City's aid as superheroes and supervillains become a reality.. Do you have what it takes to become one of the greatest heroes in Tower City?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Dawn of a New Era?

- Dawn of a New Era is a superhero campaign for Mutants and Masterminds Third Edition. Inspired by Static Shock, X-Men, Infamous, and CWs The Flash, the basic premise of the campaign is that the first superpowered individuals are starting to pop up after a mysterious explosion went off in Tower City. In this campaign, players will be taking the roles as the first superheroes in the city.

What is Tower City?

Tower City is a homebrew setting where this campaign takes place in. It is a booming metropolis on the Northeastern coast of the United States that is becoming a hotspot for superhuman activity.

What is the tone of this game?

I plan to have this game on a grayscale tone, as it may light at some times, and dark at other times. Maybe even somewhere in the middle. But please abide by the site rules and keep it at PG-13, and no explicit content.

What are the rules for character creation?

Firstly, you start at Power Level 10, with 150 Power Points. The d20herosrd website has all the rules you need to make your character and play Mutants and Masterminds 3e.

Secondly, this campaign is about humans gaining superpowers like in Static Shock, Infamous, and CWs The Flash, so no aliens or magic.

Thirdly, descriptions only. As in, no pictures. Any character sheets with pictures for their character will not be picked.

Fourthly, you are playing as a superhero. So you should act like a hero.

Fifth (and last), for your character's backstory write a plot of a pilot episode as if your character has his/her own tv series.

Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that I need to know about?

To make things a bit easier and faster for the campaign, were going to use side initiative. It works like this: When everybody (PC heroes and NPC villains for example) rolls for initiative, the member of the group who has the highest initiative gets to have their group go first, who can take their turns in no particular order.

What is the deadline for submissions?

The deadlines for submitting characters will be on September 17. After that, the game will be closed to new submissions, and Ill be spending between one to two days deciding which applications will be accepted.

How many players are you looking for?

Around 4 to 6 players, and I will be taking alternatives.

Whats the posting rate for this game?

3 to 5 times a week at minimum. But if youre going to be absent for a while, please let me know in advance.

Game Description:

It has become a strange and uncertain time for Tower City as the first superhumans to ever exist on Earth have started appearing in the city. A city that is in need of heroes more than ever to defend it against the supervillains that threaten it.

Last edited by Drakeburn; Sep 14 '18 at 4:01pm..
I've only played 2nd ed. M&M (and I'm pretty rusty with that), but I enjoy this kind of setting, and I'm sure it wouldn't take me much to get up to speed.

Hmmm... Are you looking purely for people with powers, or would a non powered individual (the likes of Batman and Green Arrow) be possible? I have a concept that could be interesting to develop; twins, identical, one of whom has always been the good twin, stronger, smarter, more academically inclined, the other always blamed his brother for everything bad that ever went on in his life. One brother gets powers, the other doesn't, the one who does is suddenly powerful enough to make up for everything that has 'befallen him' and the other feels a responsibility to stop him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_X_D View Post
Hmmm... Are you looking purely for people with powers, or would a non powered individual (the likes of Batman and Green Arrow) be possible? I have a concept that could be interesting to develop; twins, identical, one of whom has always been the good twin, stronger, smarter, more academically inclined, the other always blamed his brother for everything bad that ever went on in his life. One brother gets powers, the other doesn't, the one who does is suddenly powerful enough to make up for everything that has 'befallen him' and the other feels a responsibility to stop him?
I'm looking specifically for people who have obtained superpowers from the Mass Super Empowering Event. I'm not sure why a normal human being would put on a costume and fight crime when superpowered people have suddenly become a reality (who can do things such as bend steel, shoot plasma out of their hands, or can use mind control), but your character concept sounds plausible for why he would do something like that.

In other words, your concept of a non-powered individual is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeburn View Post
Thirdly, descriptions only. As in,[B] no pictures. Any character sheets with pictures for their character will not be accepted.
What's the thought process behind this? It seems like a very strange restriction for a forum game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis25 View Post
What's the thought process behind this? It seems like a very strange restriction for a forum game.
I can only assume it is GM preference. I can dig it though. Very interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warr View Post
I can only assume it is GM preference. I can dig it though. Very interested.
It is a truly bizarre thing to be that vehement about. People are banned if they prefer to visualize their own character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageBahamut View Post
It is a truly bizarre thing to be that vehement about. People are banned if they prefer to visualize their own character?
I just read this. I put my character's pic as a placeholder.

I prefer exactly the opposite. Please go ahead and delete my application.

Quote:
Fifth (and last), for your character's backstory write a plot of a pilot episode as if your character has his/her own tv series.
Quick question about this. Can I make a pilot episode about the first baddie my character fights and save the day?
Or are you expecting to see how the character first manifested his powers? I've got a backstory written covering this already and I'm not sure if it would be something really interesting.

What about superheroes who are superpower-clones, with the new spiderman out on playstation I really want to play a spiderman-esque character.