Notices

A Westerosi Affair

Old Sep 13 '18, 9:43am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
A Westerosi Affair

A Song of Earth and Sky - Forum
Song of Ice and Fire - Westeros

Game SystemThere is a nice d6 pool system set up by Ronin Games, but I also like the idea of adapting an existing system, such as D&D 3.5/Pathfinder, or perhaps the Pendragon system from White Wolf.

Starting PointI had an idea for the game to begin roughly 284 AL, after Robert's Rebellion and the regime change thereafter, but well before events in A Game of Thrones. Players will affect the world and possibly impact things that happen later, but we'll steer well clear of the higher court of King's Landing (at least to start), so knowledge of "future events" won't help or hurt you.

Game Description:

A Song of Earth and Sky

Setting InformationKing Aerys is Dead, Long Live King Robert!
284 AL(years since Aegon's Landing)
Word has traveled fast across the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, and indeed across the Narrow Sea as well, that the Usurper King, Robert of House Baratheon, First of His Name, has deposed the last Targaryen and taken the Iron Throne for himself and his house. Among the lords and greater houses this has caused a stir, exultation among some and fearful whispering among those who considered themselves Targaryen loyalists.
Amongst the smallfolk of course, this is yet another bit of gossip that has little affect on their daily lives. Their husbands and sons have returned home, those that survived, some fully intact even.

The D20 variants tends not to work well with low-fantasy settings IMO, they are also typically built around combat roles and capabilities, and westeros as a setting caters a lot better to scheming and politics than adventures. Green Ronin had good ideas, but the system requires that both players and GM are on the same page, seeing that the system rewards specialization and min-maxing. It can work nicely if you know what you're doing, and generally easier if it does not involve PvP. Still, one PC being such that challenging him leaves another PC horribly outgunned can be an issue, even if the latter is supposed to be good in that field.

I mean, the Green Ronin Adaption is pretty good.

I'm watching this, but don't feel that any of the D20 set ups would be a 'right' fit the the more low fantasy setting of ASoI&F unless you are using it as a way to let players equalize things, but even then it'd be no fun for you as a GM, especially if someone can run around doing for instance, Paladin things in the setting. Very few classes are built to be 'fun' with low fantasy stuff involved, and that's why a D20 system wouldn't work though I'm not familar with the Green Ronin d6 thing you speak of, I can't really remark on it. Unless GR's ASoI&F runs of it and I jut don't remember this because I read it but never played it.

https://greenronin.com/sifrp/ That's the one I've read and own.

Regardless, I am watching this.

I believe Havelock is speaking of that exact book from Green Ronin. As long as PC and GM are on the same page its not that bi issue, but that system rewards min-max and specialization a lot. There comes a point where most NPC become laughable threats to PC's due to specialization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deiros View Post
I believe Havelock is speaking of that exact book from Green Ronin. As long as PC and GM are on the same page its not that bi issue, but that system rewards min-max and specialization a lot. There comes a point where most NPC become laughable threats to PC's due to specialization.
I think that's part of the reason for the specialization, each player is supposed to fill a different 'role' in the shared player house. I greatly enjoy the house building mechanics, regardless of the play style.

it's looking more like everyone is down for a Ronin game, would be simpler than an overhaul of 3.5, feel free to drop a character concept into the forum