Forthcoming Changes Mar 3 2018 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Forthcoming Changes Mar 3 2018

Overview
In order to facilitate continued growth and development of Myth-Weavers, I am preparing to deploy wide-reaching changes to the site's underlying architecture.

Because these changes are primarily architectural in nature, they are mostly invisible to users, with a few exceptions that I have outlined below. These changes are mostly designed to facilitate other pending projects that depend on the infrastructure that will be established.

It is my goal that you will be generally underwhelmed, and that your daily usage of Myth-Weavers does not change significantly due to this round of changes.

Schedule
On Saturday March 3, at 8am Pacific, Myth-Weavers will be offline for a period that we expect to last 1-4 hours. I'll run backups of all files and database content, and then go about swapping the configurations to point at the new system. I'll be available Saturday and Sunday to fix any issues that didn't get caught during automated or manual testing.

Summary of Changes

Signon
Account management will primarily take place through signon.myth-weavers.com .

Signon with Email, Not Username
When logging in to Myth-Weavers, you will need to enter the email associated with the account, not your username.

Email and Password Changes
Email and password changes will no longer happen through the forums, but through signon.. The forum 'Edit Email & Password' button in the forums User CP will link to this page.

Username Changes
Users will have the ability to change their own username, via the Profile tab of the signon settings.

Password Reset
Password resets will no longer happen via the forums login form, but instead will be available from the signon login form.

Social Login
Once you're logged in, if you wish to link and use a Facebook, Twitter, or Google account for login, you may visit your account settings under the 'Social Logins' tab, and use the appropriate link there to associate the account. Once that's done, you can now log in to Myth-Weavers using one of those providers.

Social Registration
While this doesn't affect existing users directly, new visitors to Myth-Weavers will be able to register using a social account.

Wiki
The Myth-Weavers Wiki will be moved to a subdomain, wiki.myth-weavers.com . URLs pointing to myth-weavers.com/wiki will be redirected to the new location

Thank you for the advance notice, Rodrigo. Here’s hoping things go smoothly.

Please make sure you include a reminder to use e-mail address vice username to log in. I can see myself trying to figure out why my log in isn't working...

Also this is a good time to remind people to double check on their email address registered to the site.

Does that mean that we can change usernames without affecting pre-existing posts/ private messages or are those still tied to username?

@Daryk Will do

@Call me Fate Indeed, part of why I'm putting this out 2 weeks in advance

@Penchant Private Messages and Threads have always been tied to username - private tags are all that are tied to username, and that won't change after this; if you change your username, old private tags will not be accessible to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
Private Messages and Threads have always been tied to username - private tags are all that are tied to username, and that won't change after this; if you change your username, old private tags will not be accessible to you.
Does that mean that people changing their name to will be able to see the contents of a private thread they previously could not?

What if any adjustment will be required on our part after this change takes place? Other than having to use my email to log in I mean. Will we have to do some manual registration thing or something?

Also, what prompted this change? Because I don't really see why you are doing this. And I am curious to know what you have in store that requires the transition.