DC Universe - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

DC Universe

I don't have much interest in modern marvel OR dc. Call me an old soul but comics haven't appealed to me since the new 52 reboot, and I stopped watching marvel cartoons as they never had the broad appeal for adults and kids like the dc line did. I've been collecting blu-ray or dvd of Justice League, Batman TAS, the direct to dvd animated features, the only thing I could see that DC Universe might appeal to me is the new season of young justice but I plan on waiting out for a bluray release for that.

Again I haven't used DC Universe but the trailers I saw of Titans made it look even worse than the CW shows which look terrible. Only replace 20' something relationship woes with angsty edgelord teenagers. Again, old soul but the teen titans were never edgelords. Least not the ones I grew up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMRenaissance View Post
There was an interesting passage in there that you edited out that went something like "Prove to me that this is worth it".

No. That's not how this works, either on the Internet or in real life.

"Titans" didn't backfire because it got good ratings and reviews. That is the purpose of a show - for people to watch it. Getting good reviews goes toward that. /YOU/ may have been turned off by it, and in that case you probably shouldn't do the DC Universe streaming service.

However, the idea that it is a failure when it did the thing it is supposed to do (get good ratings and press) doesn't make sense.

In re: violence - this is 2018 vs 1988. If they could have done it in 1988, they would have. Exhibit A: Starfire wouldn't vaporize a baddie threatening to kill someone that she loved in "The New Teen Titans", but I sure betcha Starfire of "Red Hood & The Outlaws" would have. At the risk of coming close to a spoiler, there is a reason for Dick's violence, and it has to do with the path we know he takes in the comics to get to being Nightwing.

Finally, no offense, but if you don't have the money for the product, you're kinda not the target audience.

Wrong. I am a paying customer. In order to acquire and keep me as a customer, they have to give me products I want and am willing to pay the price for. And that other actual paying customers want and are willing to pay the price for. Getting good reviews by pandering to Ulterior motives for them is not a strategy that does that. Just ask EA, or Lucasfilm, or Marvels Comic Book Division, or hell, DC's comicbook division ever since they started letting Didio and King and Bendis and there buddies destroy the good will the Rebirth event was building back up after The New 52 disaster. So those reviews? Not the metric for failed or succeeded.

The metric for failed or succeeded has nothing to do with that. It's how much money did it cost to make, and how much money did it generate, from paying customers.

And most paying customers these days want proof that the product they are going to sink there limited time and limited money into is worth it. Thus, Titans had to prove itself. It had a trailer to show us exactly what to expect. It showed us contempt for the source material that this was an adaptation of.Ergo, it didn't prove to customers that this was a product worth spending there money on and time on, and there for, it backfired.

You can try to argue it was a success if you show me it is the big draw too the platform, and not a net turn off from the Platform, and thus they are earning money and not missing out on money, specifically because of how Titans as a show is, and how it's been shown to be in the trailers they made and released to promote it. The one's that have persuaded me the sooner the platform dies and the animated work goes onto other streaming services, the better.

Oh, you mean this Starfire?

This Starfire that looks nothing like the one in the show even a little bit?

General advice, The New 52 is not a good defense point to reach for in general. There's a reason that DC effectively undid it and moved in the opposite direction when Rebirth happened a few years later.

As for Dick Greyson committing murder, even if he's in his "Mad at Batman" phase, Greyson committing Murder is like Batman showing up to a fight strapped with a dozen different guns and making liberal use of them as his first course of action. It is now how this character works.

And when job situation changes and I have more money, I will be target audience. (Not if, when. That is most assuredly at this phase a when, not an if.). Except now I'll be alienated from the product and remain unwilling to give it much if any of my money. Instead of monthly, I'll be there intermittently, and THAT assumes I can't manage to binge everything I care to see when I sign up for free trials once in awhile when a new season of something better drops. And that much only to support better programming such as Young Justice Season 3 or Teen Titans Season 6 or the like. Perhaps after taking those on-board, re-watching older better shows, like previous seasons of the 2 mentioned shows, the DCAU and Batman: The Brave And The Bold and some of the better animated movies. Were as had they and there fanbase for this show specifically not been antagonistic while pushing it (And after that shot about "well if you don't have the cash right this second your not someone we want as a customer." firmly renders you antagonistic, don't even try to tell me otherwise.), and not shown such utter contempt for the property they were adapting, they would have very rapidly acquired a loyal customer.

Which now they won't be doing from me. And hell, they could have had me outright instead of Disney the way the mouse's subsidiarity's of recent are going. But they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorPriest View Post
Only replace 20' something relationship woes with angsty edgelord teenagers. Again, old soul but the teen titans were never edgelords. Least not the ones I grew up with.
If they weren't they should have been. I had a kid ask me a few months ago about the actual comic book origins of the Titans, and ya know... the convo got pretty dark:
  • Beast Boy: Got a rare disease that kills literally every kind of animal on the planet but one. Parents die. He gets a second surrogate family in the Doom Patrol. They get blown up... all before he is 15.
  • Robin: Parents publicly assassinated by mobsters, at which point a borderline psychopath adopts him and has him fight criminals without deadly weapons or powers at around 15.
  • Cyborg: Promising football star until his Dad blows up half of his body. He replaces it with a machine that may or may not even be terrestrial in origin.
  • Starfire: You're a princess of a planet! Yay! Your sister is the queen, and she has branded you a traitor, so you have to flee the world you know while intergalactic bounty hunters are trying to kill you. Boo!
  • Raven: Dad.

I can totally see why someone wouldn't like it. I would argue, though, that they are giving us the same story (or at least same kind of story) that we got back in the classic days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothsword117
Wrong. I am a paying customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothsword117
I don't even have cash I'm willing to throw at HBO for Game of Thrones or Youtube for Youtube Red to make sure channels I watch get paid with out me having to put up with 4-15 long infomercials in front of and at one or more points during a video. I sure as hell don't have extra money for this BS on a monthly basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorPriest View Post
Again I haven't used DC Universe but the trailers I saw of Titans made it look even worse than the CW shows which look terrible. Only replace 20' something relationship woes with angsty edgelord teenagers. Again, old soul but the teen titans were never edgelords. Least not the ones I grew up with.
If you want a show that is a snapshot of whatever era of the Teen Titans you have read, this probably isn't it. It's a show that tries to answer the question, "What kind of person would you (as a real person) grow up to be if your dad was someone like Batman who raised you to beat criminals to a bloody pulp every night with clubs, and you regularly saw guys like the Joker commit mass murder?"

It's dark, but as shows go, it's not terrible. The action is much better than the action you get in a network superhero TV show (which is a very low bar), and some of the story is pretty interesting (the Hawk and Dove stuff is pretty well done though very tragic). I thought the season got weaker as it progressed, and the final episode was probably the weakest of the bunch, but its fun TV.

I don't mind dark DC, mostly because I haven't seen hardly any of it, and most of the supers we watch aren't dark at all (Ant Man Marvel is best Marvel). It was a nice change for me, but I can see avid consumers of superhero media getting sick of dark DC, especially if you are hoping that they'll somehow recapture the era of DC that is your favorite.

Clearly there's some people who have strong opinions for the series, but from the trailers Titans seemed like a microcosm of everything wrong with the DCEU. But hey, I'm not the intended audience. If Titans is a glimpse into what being a teenager is like in 2019 then God help our youth.

FYI, only two characters in the show are teenagers. All the rest are grownups. Dick Grayson is a police detective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMRenaissance View Post
If they weren't they should have been. I had a kid ask me a few months ago about the actual comic book origins of the Titans, and ya know... the convo got pretty dark:
  • Beast Boy: Got a rare disease that kills literally every kind of animal on the planet but one. Parents die. He gets a second surrogate family in the Doom Patrol. They get blown up... all before he is 15.
  • Robin: Parents publicly assassinated by mobsters, at which point a borderline psychopath adopts him and has him fight criminals without deadly weapons or powers at around 15.
  • Cyborg: Promising football star until his Dad blows up half of his body. He replaces it with a machine that may or may not even be terrestrial in origin.
  • Starfire: You're a princess of a planet! Yay! Your sister is the queen, and she has branded you a traitor, so you have to flee the world you know while intergalactic bounty hunters are trying to kill you. Boo!
  • Raven: Dad.

I can totally see why someone wouldn't like it. I would argue, though, that they are giving us the same story (or at least same kind of story) that we got back in the classic days.

There's a profound difference that you don't seem to want to aknowledge between "Has dark elements." and "Wallows in darkness and edginess for darkness and edginess sake, cause dark and edgy automatically makes things mature and deep and adult.".

This show as explicitly shown in the trailers it's doing the later, something DC live action has a bad habit of doing. Hell, the reason Flash and Supergirl got so much slack from me for so long was that they were avoiding that.

Oh. And I can quote stuff too, like this lovely gem down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothsword117 View Post
And when job situation changes and I have more money, I will be target audience. (Not if, when. That is most assuredly at this phase a when, not an if.). Except now I'll be alienated from the product and remain unwilling to give it much if any of my money. Instead of monthly, I'll be there intermittently, and THAT assumes I can't manage to binge everything I care to see when I sign up for free trials once in awhile when a new season of something better drops. And that much only to support better programming such as Young Justice Season 3 or Teen Titans Season 6 or the like. Perhaps after taking those on-board, re-watching older better shows, like previous seasons of the 2 mentioned shows, the DCAU and Batman: The Brave And The Bold and some of the better animated movies. Were as had they and there fanbase for this show specifically not been antagonistic while pushing it (And after that shot about "well if you don't have the cash right this second your not someone we want as a customer." firmly renders you antagonistic, don't even try to tell me otherwise.), and not shown such utter contempt for the property they were adapting, they would have very rapidly acquired a loyal customer.

Which now they won't be doing from me. And hell, they could have had me outright instead of Disney the way the mouse's subsidiarity's of recent are going. But they won't.
It's almost like your ignoring things I'm saying that don't' support your arguments.

For those who are interested in Young Justice, season 3. It looks like the first half (13 episodes) will be out by the end of January, and then the second half will be out in June or July. No word on a Blu-ray release yet that I can find.

Yar, there are releasing it on the app about 3 episodes a week. Really enjoying it so far.

So... it's a kind of streaming service (which costs about as much as Netflix), but it only has DC programs on it?