Binge Watching - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Binge Watching

@Zod it warms my soul that you've seen Galavant. I love that show so much.

Ozark was pretty good to sit down and watch on Netflix.

Sneaky Pete on Amazon was a good watch as well.

Both are only 2 seasons, but well worth it IMO

Netflix has Supernatural 13 seasons - something to certainly take up some time.

What you get on Netflix depends on where you are in the world. I don't know what they have on Krypton.

Black Mirror is good but it's not really binge watching - it's an anthology series so you can take one at a time, plus it's generally kind of dark and pretty depressing, so I wouldn't want to watch a load all in one go.

Into the Badlands is really great, if you like the crazy wuxia fight scenes (embrace it, it's worth it).
Stranger Things is still one of the best things on Netflix IMO (less action, but still a great drama with a supernatural twist).
Peaky Blinders is pretty good, especially the first series or two.
I really liked the first episode of Lost in Space but it sort of lost me as I got further through, sadly.

Magicians... yeah, definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I think I liked it, on the whole, but it was way too "New Adult". I also don't think it really knew what it wanted to be - it was a mix of gritty dark fantasy, Harry-Potter-esq childishness, spoof of Harry-Potter-esq childishness, and a load of teen (and just-post-teen) angst. I think I wanted it to be something different to what it was, based on the first couple of episodes. If you liked stuff like Chilling Adventures of Sabrina then it's probably worth a shot, but is definitely not as good.

If Krypton's not in the US, you can get Titans, which is actually surprisingly not bad.
Supergirl is kind of corny but fairly binge-watchable.
I actually liked The OA a lot, though I've not quite made up my mind about the ending. Kind of a bit slow, but not in a very bad way.
I've seen the first series of Sense 8, which was... weird. If you like that sort of thing, you might really like it. Also a lot slower than I expected - a lot of it is just "slice of life" drama with the supernatural twist present, which would be fine but there's also an overarching plot which feels like it should be more centre stage at times.

Dark Matter! It's a Firefly-esq sci-fi (but a more crime and less cowboy, literally darker in that everyone wears black and leather jackets instead of brown coats), sort of not the top-est of the top (it's no Stranger Things), but pretty enjoyable in what I think is quite a binge-watchable way. It's another one where the vibe of the first episode didn't quite continue on throughout the whole series, though that's not necessarily good or bad. Also there is a hilarious episode in series 3 which alone is worth watching the whole lot for.

The Last Kingdom is pretty good, if you like more historical.
Vikings (Prime) is meant to be good too, but I've not watched it yet.
Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency, of course. It is pretty zany, and IMO the first episode makes no sense (in a bad way - a theme is things not making sense, but they do at the end) but if you stick it out to episode 2+ it's well worth it. Probably not for everyone, but pretty good all the same.

Actually Prime has a bunch of series which are meant to be good (e.g. Man in the High Castle, American Gods) but I've not seen. On the whole I still think Netflix wins.

I would definitely recommend Stranger Things first, Into the Badlands second though, I think (especially if you like action with a supernatural twist - that's Into the Badlands all over, plus post-apocalyptic martial arts drama).

Stranger Things is very popular on Krypton. We are really looking forward to season three. I will have to take a look at Into the Bad Lands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Magicians... yeah, definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I think I liked it, on the whole, but it was way too "New Adult". I also don't think it really knew what it wanted to be - it was a mix of gritty dark fantasy, Harry-Potter-esq childishness, spoof of Harry-Potter-esq childishness, and a load of teen (and just-post-teen) angst. I think I wanted it to be something different to what it was, based on the first couple of episodes.
By every possible standard, I should hate this show. I don't watch television. Some of the mundane themes bother me in other media.

Yet, that absolutely anarchic presentation you described is thoroughly endearing. I'm re-watching the first three seasons on Netflix. After that, I may find out how to log into the cable account to watch Season 4 while it's fresh.

It's the only current tv show I can get excited about in any capacity.

I have very mixed feelings about it. On the whole, I think I do not like it very much, certainly from an academic point of view (as in, if you asked me "is it objectively good" I'd probably say "no" even if "did you enjoy it?" would get a "yes") but I've not seen Season 3 and I'd probably watch it if I got the chance.

I also forgot Altered Carbon, which is great - it's sci-fi, cyberpunk, so maybe not for everyone, and actually was kind of... grimier... than I expected. I would still recommend it, though (especially for players of Eclipse Phase, obviously!).

American Horror Story is my binge watch tv show but also Legacies and Vampire Diaries and the originals.

TVD First
Then Originals
Then Legacies

It has to be in that order.

Also Supernatural sometimes.