SoulsBorne - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

SoulsBorne

SoulsBorne

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone here is a fan of the Dark Souls Or BloodBorne Series.

I am majorly addicted to both so I was hoping I could find other fans to discuss lore creatures tactics bosses all that Jazz with.

According to Steam, I have 109 hours on Dark Souls 1... seems low to me. I used to speed run Any% Glitchless and All Bosses and got some decent times. I really enjoyed Dark Souls 2 also. It's a great game just... not a great Dark Souls game. Does that make sense? If DS2 had had a different name, it would have been rated higher.

I haven't finished Bloodborne yet but I haven't had a PS4 long.

I understand you on that one.
I love dark souls, but Dark Souls 2 isn’t canon the fact Is it is a good game, however. If it were a spin-off like Bloodborne, it definitely would have got a higher score
I am playing DS1 I love it, but there is a dungeon full of rats I have been putting off, as someone who hates rodents I really do not want to deal with them.

Bloodborne is fantastic. The lore and bosses are amazing, I will always remember the Cleric Beast first appearance due to how much it scared the hell out of me.
I think Bloodborne that one game where I have stuck with my legit default weapon throughout most the playthrough aka the threaded cane.
The lore of Bloodborne intrigues me more than Dark souls due to the Lovecraftian elements used.
While Dark Souls greek inspiration doesn’t interest me as much as its mostly Zeus, Gwynn being a pain.

Currently trying out Blacksteel Katana duel-wielding build; I've called my character Weeb McTrash, and for now I use Estoc with a shield, periodically switching to a Falchion.

As long as your not that one player who made their character shrek all is good.

I totally hate the ringed city dragon it is a nightmare.

Played alot of Dark Souls, mostly 2 and 3. Will say I love DS2, but haven't tried bloodborne, yet. Will say for all the flaw of DS2, it is was the most fun I've had. Sir Alonne was a great boss fight when he isn't hit box cheesing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoth The Spoony View Post
Played alot of Dark Souls, mostly 2 and 3. Will say I love DS2, but haven't tried bloodborne, yet. Will say for all the flaw of DS2, it is was the most fun I've had. Sir Alonne was a great boss fight when he isn't hit box cheesing you.
Most fun I had was that raw, blind first time through DS1 where every corner was a horrible death, just waiting for me. That was intense and a sensation few games have ever given me again. After that, however, is my hex build in DS2. Man, I had a blast pewpewing fools to death, especially the big rat boss. Doing the whole corpse explosion trick was quite satisfying.

Hardest boss was Fume Knight, then Gank Squad - Gank Squad SUCKS for mages - but some bosses ended up being surprisingly easy like *SPOILER LAST BOSS* and Dark Lurker was disappointing because of the hard cheese casters put out.

Oh god you just brought back bad memories of that damn fortress.
I walked around a corner and a boulder ran me over.
It was so brutal.

I think my most loved place is Anor Londo I think its the most iconic place in the series.

I have to admit that I’m one of the few that couldn’t ever really get into them. I tried to like the original Dark Souls, I really did, and I put dozens of hours into it, but I simply don’t have the time to stay in a single area and grind for dozens of hours on end to raise your level and give you a fighting chance against some of the bosses.

I could never understand the reviews the game got praising the difficulty level and “minimalist story”. Putting a few items in a place and having NPC’s babble about nothing doesn’t really constitute a story at all, let alone minimalist, and being hard for hards sake is just frustrating.

I do understand why people like the game, it’s just not my thing I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballingray View Post
I have to admit that I’m one of the few that couldn’t ever really get into them. I tried to like the original Dark Souls, I really did, and I put dozens of hours into it, but I simply don’t have the time to stay in a single area and grind for dozens of hours on end to raise your level and give you a fighting chance against some of the bosses.

I could never understand the reviews the game got praising the difficulty level and “minimalist story”. Putting a few items in a place and having NPC’s babble about nothing doesn’t really constitute a story at all, let alone minimalist, and being hard for hards sake is just frustrating.

I do understand why people like the game, it’s just not my thing I guess.
I don't want to drop the catch phrase but... if you have to grind to kill bosses, you just weren't good enough at the game. I died a lot on my first blind run but the bosses - with some notable exceptions like Pikachu and Snorlax - weren't usually the cause of those deaths.

When people say it's a minimalist story, what they mean is Dark Souls story isn't being told. You're living a story and everything is vague because your character just can't grasp what it all means anyway. It's even hinted at that Gwyn didn't know what he was getting into when he linked the fire the first time either. When I first beat Dark Souls, I chose to link the fire and then immediately realized I didn't know if it was the right thing to do.

I get that that kind of storytelling doesn't appeal to everyone but I found it extremely refreshing that the game never chose to validate my decisions by telling me if I did the right thing. Did linking the fire make the world better or did I just continue a sucky cycle? Does abandoning the flame and letting it die free the world or just make things even worse? We'll never know because the game never tells us.

I had to tell myself "I just did that because a weird giant snake told me I should and I never questioned why," at the end of the game. I did what Frampt said because he was the only person to ever give me any kind of direction in this dark world that wanted so badly to kill me at every turn.

I compare it to most games that tell you to go here and do this and now go do this thing. In the end, they validate my journey by telling me I did good in some way and I made the world better or something. Dark Souls just... it never holds your hand or pats you on the back. That's why so many people love it. It respects the player more than any other game I've played except Subnautica, which also just tells to hardly anything and makes you figure it all out on your own.