The Raggedy Edge - Lookin' for Crew

Old Mar 12 '19, 7:03pm
Young Dragon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
The Raggedy Edge - Lookin' for Crew

The Raggedy Edge: A Firefly Riff - Forum
Cortex

Here's how it is...

About a year ago, some bitter old browncoat by the name of Malcolm Reynolds went and woke the dragon. Folks came to call this little turn of events the Miranda Broadcast, which laid bare the dirtiest of the Allianceís dirty secrets: the experiments they were conducting on their own people, experiments that led to the creation of the reavers. Whether you consider him a hero or an outlaw probably depends on which side of the law you stand on. Regardless, this made the Alliance mad as hornets, and they came down hard, not just on Reynolds, but on all sort of naughty folk who slip about on the fringes of the Verse.

Folk such as yourself.

Not long after, you were caught in an Alliance net. It donít much matter what the charge was, whether you were guilty as charged or innocent as a dove, the result was the same. You were charged and sentenced to five years hard labor. You ended up on a cold black rock the people who came before you called Sycorax.

The hours are long, the conditions are terrible, and the work is brutal, but thatís the least of your worries. Folk die on Sycorax with depressing regularity. And it ainít just the conditions or the labor that kills, itís the sickness. Spend too much time on Sycorax, and you start having nightmares. Once the nightmares set in, itís only a matter of time for the ol' grim reaper comes a callin'. The only cure is to get off this rock, but you ainít gettiní off anytime soon, are you?

Average life expectancy for the prisoners on Sycorax is six months. Youíve been there eight. Two nights ago, the nightmares started.

About me...
Name's Oz. As in, honest to god real life name. I'm the GM of this tale. If you hadn't notice by the lack of pictures or fancy script, I'm something of a minimalist. Sometimes, you get a bold or even a strikethrough. Exciting times, those.

I have a lot of experience GMing, practically zero with Cortex+, so this will be a learning experience for all of us. What I bring to the table is a love of collaborative storytelling and a fondness for the setting. What I leave behind is ego and elitism.

About you...
There are two things I need from you above all else: commitment and a willingness to work with others. This isn't about you. Or me. It's about the fiction. Bad things may happen to your character. If you have had a problem with that in the past, think carefully before applying.

Think about the next few months of your life. Are there any big changes on the horizon? A new job? A new relationship? A move? School? Real life always comes first, as it should. Do you see yourself dropping in a couple of months? Please do your fellow writers a favor and take a pass.

Still with me? Good.

Is there anything else? Probably. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Oh, unfamiliarity with the rules and/or setting. We should probably touch on that. Don't let either keep you from applying if you meet the above qualifiers. If you haven't, you really should watch the show. It's very good. If you're not familiar with the rules, don't let that stop you--it hasn't stopped me.

About this here game...
As I mentioned earlier, this yarn is powered by Cortex+, specifically, the Firefly core rulebook. Not Serenity. If you don't have a copy, you can pick one up on your online store of choice. If you don't have much experience, apply anyway, as I said above.

Storywise, this takes place in 2519, or eight years after the end of the Independence War (or Unification War, if you're a purplebelly). All the events of the series and movie are canon. If we move beyond the initial episode (Escape from Sycorax), we will transition to a more familiar episodic style, with the major plot arc being the fallout of the Miranda Event.

Character Concepts

I am looking for standard crew. Your character should have a bone to pick with the Alliance, if for no other reason than they stuck you on some godforsaken rock to die. Someone will need to play the Captain. Don't let it go to your head.

Given the harshness of the opening episode, I don't see a place for Companions or other soft-hand types, but if you're feeling frisky pitch me a concept. The only hard pass is Readers, or River Tam types, for two reasons. One, the concept doesn't mesh well in a group setting. The everything-you-can-do-I-can-do-better vibe is toxic. Two, anyone with those abilities who got picked up by the Alliance wouldn't have ended up on this rock but some other, and thus would not be a part of this tale. Dong le ma?

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Instead of starting with a character concept, let's do a questionnaire. Players will not be selected on a first-come, first-serve basis. What I am looking for is eagerness and commitment. Which means that if there are two players I like who share the same role, I'm going to ask them to work it out. It's about the fiction, remember?

So, fill out the questionnaire. Tell me what you want to see. Tell me what you're excited about. If you have any comments, clarifications or questions, please feel free to post them below.

Meta
Please feel free to refer to the firefly wiki or other reference of your choice.

What is your experience with the firefly setting?

What is your experience with Cortex+?
  • Would you be willing to help adjucate rules questions?

Character

The current year is 2519.

In 2506, the Unification War began.
  • How old was YC (your character) at the outbreak of the war?
  • Did they live in the Core worlds? The Border? The Rim?
  • What planet, moon or skyplex did they live on?
  • What did YC do prior to the war?
  • What was YCís opinion of the war when it began?

2506-2511, the war years
  • How did the war change their life?
  • Were they a direct participant? If so, on which side? What role did they play?
  • What enemies/allies did YC make during this time?
  • No one survives a conflict of this magnitude unscathed. Name one regret from the war.
  • Name one closely guarded secret related to the war.
  • Name one thing/person YC lost as a result of the war.

2511 to 2518, post-war period
  • How was YCís opinion of the War affected by the grim reality of the conflict?
  • How did this change their opinion of the Alliance/Resistance?
  • Eight years have passed since the end of the war. What has YC been up to?
  • How have their experiences up to this point prepared YC for their role on the ship?
  • Describe one ally YC has gained during this time.
  • Describe one enemy YC has made during this time.

2519, current time
Eight months ago, YC was caught in an Alliance net and sentenced to five years hard labor. Since then, they have been on the remote asteroid Sycorax, where they have lived and worked, mining the asteroidís rich interior for rare metals. As a result of the harsh conditions on the asteroid, they are slowly dying and quite possibly going insane.
  • Right or wrong, what led to YCís imprisonment at the hands of the Alliance?
  • Something beyond the desire to survive drives YC to escape. What is it?

Note: Feel free to Private Text anything you feel other characters/players should not know.

Game Description:

Put this crew together with the promise of work, which the Alliance makes harder every year. Come a day there wonít be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. This job goes south, there well may not be another. So here is us, on the raggedy edge. Don't push me, and I won't push you. Dong le ma? - Malcolm Reynolds

Woohoo!!! Been waiting for this to drop, and I couldn't be happier.

Will work on a character pitch and try to get it posted tonight after work.

Oh, and a small request. Could folks perhaps put their questionnaire answers inside a spoiler? That's a LOT of text and it makes the thread way tough to scroll through on phone screens.

EDIT: Speaking of our questionnaires, once the game starts will it be ok to create an individual app thread for ourselves (assuming we make the cut), as a way to keep the info handy? It really does help things stay organized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumptruck View Post
What is your experience with the firefly setting? I played one short lived game in the setting.
Heya @Dumptruck! I remember that game. It was a fun start but died way too young. I'll have to see if I can find my old character and see if that helps me remember the chargen rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arklytte View Post
Woohoo!!! Been waiting for this to drop, and I couldn't be happier.

Will work on a character pitch and try to get it posted tonight after work.

Oh, and a small request. Could folks perhaps put their questionnaire answers inside a spoiler? That's a LOT of text and it makes the thread way tough to scroll through on phone screens.

EDIT: Speaking of our questionnaires, once the game starts will it be ok to create an individual app thread for ourselves (assuming we make the cut), as a way to keep the info handy? It really does help things stay organized.

Heya @Dumptruck! I remember that game. It was a fun start but died way too young. I'll have to see if I can find my old character and see if that helps me remember the chargen rules.
Hey ark, how's it going

Your right it died way young but was fun while it lasted.

Hi everyone!

@Chevalier Love your background and character information, and I have no issue with recycling old characters, but do you mind putting it into the question-and-answer format I presented? This really helps me parse the information that I need and connect your character more deeply to the story. Don't remove the info you have, just edit your post and add your answers at the bottom.

@Critical Fumble Not saying no to your concept, so please don't take anything I'm about to say as such. But again, proof of concept. I don't want to put too fine a point on this, but this episode takes place on a rock in deep space. The prisoners (that'd be you, Hoss) have no rights. They are effectively indentures of the State, which were then sold to the Corone Mining Consortium as slave labor, to be worked to death. There is no due process out here. Now, imagine your Companion, now an ex-Companion who is by the most basic definition an outlaw, that is, outside the law. She has passed through multiple hands to get here, all of whom are quite well aware of her status. What are the odds she ends up mining rocks on some godforsaken chunk of nothing and not serving as the personal plaything of a megalomaniac magistrate or corporate exec?

Again, not saying no, but the pitch has to be stronger than 'dark past'. On the other hand, I don't believe anyone has claimed the Captain slot. If she has proven herself to this point, maybe she has the stones to lead. Think about it and lemme know.

@thesloth I like the essence of your concept, with the exception of a few quibbles/clarifications. First, what's your character's name? Shadow, as I understand it, was one of the more successful terraformed planets, fields all the way to God's plan and all that. I'm not convinced that YC would be so moved by the occasional handout that he would buck the vast majority of his friends/family and go Alliance. Perhaps he thought other planets on the Rim were equally as fertile and didn't understand what the fuss was all about?

My impression, and I could be wrong, is that Shadow was blackrocked relatively early in the War. Maybe not, but it seems that his 'conversion' would have taken place earlier in the war, not 'in the last year'.

(As an aside, according to the wiki, the population of Shadow was only 13,300 before the war. Really? That's gotta be a typo, right? One of the moons of Shadow has a population of 167,000. I mean, who blackrocks an entire planet for 13,300 people?)

Everything else looks good.

@Dumptruck There's a lot here to like. You're off to a good start, but don't be afraid to get personal. You say Jessie did some things that were covered up? Like what? Give me something specific. Get blood on his hands, he's been fighting for the bad guys for 13 years.

On getting caught...you don't get off that easy my friend
Since Jessie was in the Alliance military, we're putting him in the Universe Battle. He was there, man. He saw it with his own eyes, and it was a bloody massacre. Yeah, the Alliance won--it was only going one way--but at what cost? He's been in the Alliance nest this whole time, training soldiers and whatnots. He's never seen a reaver, much less fought one. Hell, he might not have even believed in reavers before that battle. Next thing he knows, they are chewing his best friend's face off. Playing jump rope with his intestines. That whole rape you till your dead thing? You don't like to think about it. Everyone in his unit is dead, and the ones who weren't should have been.

That battle is canon. The aftermath isn't, so we get to make it up. And what happened? The Alliance denied it. Never happened. Those reavers? They were Dust Devils and the whole thing was an ambush. Don't like it? Too bad. Now get back in line.

Pissed off yet?

Quote:
Good idea. I'm new on this sight, ya'll. Hit me with your ideas.

@ozmandius

I'm not adverse to the go big or go home but I didn't want to overstep and have him come off as super powerful or more important etc etc, but from this view point he could have served just about any role in the universe battle. I like it, a lot and now I...I mean he has nightmares of what he experienced. It started his downward spiral and asking uncomfortable questions..now with the Miranda Transmission, to find out the alliance created those monstrosities, those monsters...and what he experienced, what he saw, what they did... (no don't think about what you saw, what happened there, all your friends, comrades, fellow soldiers,if you start reliving that you may never crawl out of that hole)....yep beyond pissed Now he has to live, at least long enough to shout to the heavens, shout so loud that someone hears him

Oooh, this looks like fun. I haven't had the chance to play a Firefly game in far too long.

Anyway, here's most of an application for Yelizaveta Durnovo, proud child of Beylix, who has been a ship's engineer just about long enough to have finally rid herself of her homeworld's rather pervasive scent

Still got contacts/enemies to write, but it's 1:30AM local time as I post this, so that's gonna be a 'tomorrow' thing.

You know, I always wanted to try the Firefly rules for real, I just have to remember how the hell the game works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmandius View Post
Love your background and character information, and I have no issue with recycling old characters, but do you mind putting it into the question-and-answer format I presented? This really helps me parse the information that I need and connect your character more deeply to the story. Don't remove the info you have, just edit your post and add your answers at the bottom.
Thanks! And, no worries, I made a start of doing the Q&A, will try to finish it tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmandius View Post
thesloth I like the essence of your concept, with the exception of a few quibbles/clarifications. First, what's your character's name? Shadow, as I understand it, was one of the more successful terraformed planets, fields all the way to God's plan and all that. I'm not convinced that YC would be so moved by the occasional handout that he would buck the vast majority of his friends/family and go Alliance. Perhaps he thought other planets on the Rim were equally as fertile and didn't understand what the fuss was all about?

My impression, and I could be wrong, is that Shadow was blackrocked relatively early in the War. Maybe not, but it seems that his 'conversion' would have taken place earlier in the war, not 'in the last year'.

(As an aside, according to the wiki, the population of Shadow was only 13,300 before the war. Really? That's gotta be a typo, right? One of the moons of Shadow has a population of 167,000. I mean, who blackrocks an entire planet for 13,300 people?)

Everything else looks good.

@Dumptruck
It looks like you are close to finished with this portion of the process. Update your original post to reflect our conversations, add anything else you like, and I'll give it another look.

@whoiam
Overall, I like your application. I think you have an original concept, and I like the flavor you presented it in. However...
(You knew a however was coming, didn't you?

Here's the thing, I'm not seeing the connection between YC's current disposition regarding the Alliance and her life experience. Because Daddy said works when you're nine. Not so much when you're nineteen. Especially when you grow up and realize Daddy turned you into a terrorist who blew up what seem to me to be civilians.

I don't have a problem with those actions. On the contrary, I think it will make for great drama. But no way am I buying that she has no regrets and/or scars from the war. She blew people up. As a child. She also has plenty to lose. She has a family. She has a home.

You're off to a great start, but go back and give her some scars. Show her adversity.

@Silveris
Don't let unfamiliarity with the rules stop you from applying. Focus on the questions for now. Check out the wiki. Worry about the rules later

@Chevalier
I look forward to it!

@thesloth
Going pro-Alliance is fine. Just because Mal went Browncoat doesn't mean everyone on the planet did. (I'm still not buying the 13,300 thing though.) Just make sure to update your original post when you're finished.

@CriticalFumble
That's funny. I must have went through a dozen names before I settled on this. First was 'edge of the Verse', but I thought it sounded too much like 'Edge of the Empire'. I ended up searching for ideas and landed on this name somehow. Maybe it was another roleply. *shrugs* Who knows?