Fey Game request

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenDragon View Post
So..I've always wanted to play a Dryad in 3.5 or PF(I know they don't have an LA, but I figured a lenient DM could figure out something there. And for tree dependency there's the livewood from Eberron that could be crafted as a staff or other item to carry to solve the tree thing.) Which leads me to the idea of a Fey themed game, perhaps with the Courts system such as Winter/Summer court and the involved intrigue that so often is a theme among the Fey. I could be down for a solo game, or a group game, or whatever a prospective GM would like. And I'm not married to the Dryad idea, there are other fey with already build LA around; but it's something I've always had a hankering to try and play so there we have it haha. If a gm was to take this one on and allow the dryad, there's plenty of RP opportunities and story hooks available by the characters very nature, so here's hoping!
I love themed games like this! It is why I took up Seph's request for a giant's campaign. And while I am running a Drow of Menzoberranzan.

Fey are a bit of a mess in D&D. It is almost like the various people in charge of creating new Fey had little to no idea what to do with the Type and so it is a huge mishmash of mixed ideas. Not necessarily a bad thing, but hard to consider the type as "unified" in any way. Outsiders are rather easy to grok. Aberrations even more so. Fey? Fey routinely appear in forms that could/should be Elemental, Outsider, or even Aberration.

IMC...
* Belief is power. Mortal belief has a huge impact on the world. As wide-spread beliefs change, reality changes to match. Gods fall and new gods rise. Early man worshipped the Fey, and these Fey had power over nature.
* Fey are sort of like nature spirits made flesh. Kinda like the Kami in OA.
* For a baseline I created the Aes Sidhe. They're pretty much elves based more on Celtic and Norse myth. Immortal and highly magical. All other Fey are descended from the Aes Sidhe. The eldest Aes Sidhe use ELH Le Shay - or something like it.
* Fey live in a sort of "mirror" plane of the Material. If something major changes on the material, it is reflected in Faerie. For this reason the Fey can get rather riled up when mortals clear cut forests and make mega-cities and highways.
* Fey are all rather highly magical beings. Shapeshifting and "Green" (druidic) magic comes easy to them.
* Fey were worshiped as gods by early mortals. Some of them still are, such as Araushni the Weaver (Lolth).
* Elves are replaced by "Aes Sidhe", which are very elf-like Fey who each have an alternate form. The baseline Aes Sidhe have a sprite-like tiny winged form by default. Other known forms: wolf, spider, "house cat", etc.
* The Aes Sidhe are naturally attuned to the Material Plane's seasons. Their appearance changes to match the season, but with conscious thought they can make minor changes to their skin and hair color.
* Fey can "turn sideways" and step from the Material into Faerie and vice versa. Mortals can only enter Faerie only by using Ley Lines and cross roads. A mortal's dreams can touch Faerie. Mortal nightmares may be the cause of the Slough (nastiest of the "unseelie").

I really could go on. Fey are huge in my game world.

Do I have a point? I dunno. Maybe. I would spearhead this like four days ago if I wasn't already starting up Giants...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakita Ayame View Post
I love themed games like this! It is why I took up Seph's request for a giant's campaign. And while I am running a Drow of Menzoberranzan.
I almost applied for that Drow game, but decided against it for time constraints. It looked very cool, though.

Would you play in said Fey game, and if so, what systems would you choose?

Well I cant sidetrack you from Giants since I'm in it lol. Darn haha! Thats an interesting take on them, fairly traditional in some senses too I think. I think what you meant about fey in DnD stems at least somewhat from the designers pulling from multiple backgrounds on them with, as you said, no unified theme. Which has led to the interesting variations. In glad there's interest in this at least, now to find the ever elusive GM!

Quote:
I dont happen to have any of the Whitewolf books available and to be honest ive never been a fan of their changeling setting anyway.
That's a bit odd, as it's about as close to a true interpretation of a fey game as you could get as far as their society, beliefs, and social structure goes, albeit being set in a modern and slightly gothic world. It's a shame they never did a historic version of the game like they did for Mage. The Sorcerer's Crusade is probably my all-time favorite fantasy medieval setting courtesy of that, and I'd had loved to seen what they did with the fey of that era (even if it would have required an extensive revision of the modern setting to account for their history).

Regardless, there's also the Shadow Rift in Ravenloft. There was a 2e sourcebook dedicated to it, the originally named Shadow Rift, and it went into quite a bit of detail about what fey society was like there. Again, with a darker and more gothic vibe to it considering the setting.

And while I've never had the pleasure of trying it or even reading the book, what little I know about Deliria sounds really promising, too.

Its not that I dislike the setting material, I'm just not a fan of the blending into humanity while only sometimes taking the form of a fey part. All while being something of a red headed step child compared to a "True fey". Or at least that's hoe I recall it, admittedly its been nearly a decade since I read the book so maybe I'm wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakita Ayame View Post
IMC...
* Belief is power. Mortal belief has a huge impact on the world. As wide-spread beliefs change, reality changes to match. Gods fall and new gods rise. Early man worshipped the Fey, and these Fey had power over nature.
* Fey are sort of like nature spirits made flesh. Kinda like the Kami in OA.
*makes a mental note to see about investigating the possibility of an Okami game*

Quote:
Its not that I dislike the setting material, I'm just not a fan of the blending into humanity while only sometimes taking the form of a fey part. All while being something of a red headed step child compared to a "True fey". Or at least that's hoe I recall it, admittedly its been nearly a decade since I read the book so maybe I'm wrong?
This concept is exactly why Witcher's were created. That and why they use cold iron and silver swords.

Show a threat to humans they will either weaponize it, or create a weapon to eradicate it.

That being said, I'd love to play with the idea of having all the GM's play the fey, and the players be the handful of mortals defending or destroying them.