Rockeeter Remake in the works - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Rockeeter Remake in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchant View Post
Well, everyone is iron man now. I guess you'd have to make the rocketeer an anthropomorphic animal of some kind so as to avoid imagery of the iron man suit. A... Raccoon perhaps?
To be fair... it is hard to accuse Hollywood of pandering to woodland creatures.

Except Disney. You'd think furry forest animals were their main demographic.

As I said, if the writers are clever, there are certainly work-arounds, given there were women pilots, and black pilots, then. I could happily go with her being a stunt pilot (lines get less absolute/elitist when you get into the outfield!). But it sounds like access to secret info is a factor (the evil scientist), so how does she get that if she's completely unaffiliated with any means to gain access?

Again, there are "believable" work-arounds: She has a chatty boyfriend with the access (wouldn't trust him to keep her secrets then, though!). Or it's a friend's boyfriend. Or the friend is the mad scientist's secretary, who stumbles upon the data, and knows something needs to be done, but doesn't know what/by whom, or who in power would believe her over the mad scientist (given he's almost certainly a white male, and therefore automatically more credible than an "hysterical woman")....

Actually, I kinda like that last one. Puts two women in lead roles in a superhero flick, as the secretary becomes not only a friend/confidant, but also an accomplice/tech support. She could have learned quite a bit, working for a mad scientist for a long while.

Unfortunately, I don't trust Hollywood to be all that clever. They like "clever gimmicks" more than actual cleverness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrerain View Post
Unfortunately, I don't trust Hollywood to be all that clever. They like "clever gimmicks" more than actual cleverness.
Yeah... I find it depressing when my caricatures of pandering Hollywood producers turn out to be more clever than actual Hollywood executives.

Ironically, I based the directors off a certain Mel Brooks production.

His caricatures were better than the real deal as well.

Not that the Rockeeter wasn't a cool idea, but...I'm really starting to agree with the "Hollywood has officially run out of good ideas" school of thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom5613 View Post
Not that the Rockeeter wasn't a cool idea, but...I'm really starting to agree with the "Hollywood has officially run out of good ideas" school of thought...
I can see what you mean, but I'm such a fan of the original I'm just glad it's getting some kind of sequel. Hopefully they either make something fresh and good, or if they go on repeat mode, capture the spirit and fun of the original.

I don't mind the character change, the Rockeeter was originally a comic book character, and they've had legacy characters since the 40s/50s. Besides, with all the actors being over twenty years older, it would be hard to do a direct sequel.

While I have fears of Hollywood screwing stuff up, there can still be hope of it turning out good.

I suspect it's timidity. Something completely new might never break even. A remake -- sequel, update, whatever -- of something that was once popular already has something of an audience base supporting it: everyone who remembers the original version fondly. Since often those folks are now old enough to have kids, now the project has hold of two generations: parents will want to share their nostalgia with their kids. Instant audience.

Bonus if you can get a toy product line out in advance of the release date.

Sometimes they even pull it off, and it becomes a franchise, spawning a TV series, books, comics, and more. Sometimes it's a cult success despite failing in the theatres, paying off primarily in all those related properties.

I tend to be cynical about it in advance, but I do allow for the lucky breaks, where the chemistry of script, director, and actors makes it work.

The original had the mood of the 1930s Hollywood down pat and perfect. Just the story was weak-sauce second place to mood. The result was... rather boring. Which is exactly the reaction I had to everything else that director ever did (including Captain America TFA).
With a different director and an actual story, it could be interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrerain View Post
I suspect it's timidity. Something completely new might never break even. A remake -- sequel, update, whatever -- of something that was once popular already has something of an audience base supporting it: everyone who remembers the original version fondly. Since often those folks are now old enough to have kids, now the project has hold of two generations: parents will want to share their nostalgia with their kids. Instant audience.
Yeah, but that's dying by virtue of being tapped into too much.

Ghostbusters tried it, and look how that turned out... still about two hundred mil away from breaking even...

The original sound track, though... There's a reason it's quoted for so damn many trailers. I think that was James Horner's only original work until he landed the first Garfield Spider-man.

The thing that keeps the reboots going are the orignal works that are abject failures. I had such high hopes for Jupiter Ascending, but it turned out to be such a mess. So many of them come out and either bomb big or are mediocre returns on investment. There is no guarantee anymore that even good directors will turn out a movie thaf isnt crap.