I Need Your Opinion Everyone - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

I Need Your Opinion Everyone

I Need Your Opinion Everyone

Hey everybody I need your opinion on my homebrew Pokémon stats that I'm making. The Pokémon that I'm making is a Wolverine Pokemon called Mauler. He's a Steel/Fighting Pokémon. This is his stats

HP: 50
Attack: 50
Defense: 100
Special Attack: 50
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 100

So what's your opinion on Mauler's stats?

I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about Pokemon stats or whatnot, but I don't see the appeal. Why would I pick Mauler over Lucario? The important stats (HP, Speed, Atk/SpAtk) are strictly worse for a bit more defense.

Stats reference here: Click Me!

And this is without going into moveset, EVs, etc. Without knowing those, stats are a bit lacking in getting the complete picture.

His BST is only 450. He's got average speed and hits like a wet noodle. On top of that, both defenses are just 'okay' but he has really low HP so he'll only ever be able to tank resisted attacks.

Even if he had OP set-up moves like Shell Smash or one of the dances, or even legendary exclusive attacks, he'd be a very low ranking Pokemon. This feels like a first form though, so will he evolve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Saint View Post
His BST is only 450. He's got average speed and hits like a wet noodle. On top of that, both defenses are just 'okay' but he has really low HP so he'll only ever be able to tank resisted attacks.

Even if he had OP set-up moves like Shell Smash or one of the dances, or even legendary exclusive attacks, he'd be a very low ranking Pokemon. This feels like a first form though, so will he evolve?
Yes he have an evolution. Also Mauler only use claw and bite moves.

Ok this is Mauler moves: Scratch, Roar, Fury Swipe, Bite, Super Fang, Hyper Fang, Shadow Claw, Crush Claw, Dragon Claw, Slash, False Swipe, Hyper Beam.

alright I'm looking over your created pokemon Bartmanhomer and let me break it down for you

Typing: (Fighting Steel) overall a good cross blend, The Steel Type helps blocks all of fighting's weaknesses (Psychic Flying Fairy) We've however already seen this blend with Lucario (and it's Mega Form) and Cobalion. The three main weaknesses are going to be Fire, Ground and Fighting

Stats:
HP: 50 (ugh)
Attack: 50 (really)
Defense: 100 (meh)
Special Attack: 50 (don't need it/dump it)
Special Defense: 100 (eh)
Speed: 100 (hmm)

For your defense stats, Base 100 in both def and special defense is okay however what kills you is your HP, It might tank a resisted attack or a normal attack but that's about it.

What kills your pokemon is it's poor attack stat, you say this pokemon is a physical atacker right and uses claws and teeth to attack, well the best you can do with 50 base stat attack is maybe scratches and a few nibbles. Most pokemon with 50 attack are either not physical attackers or they are first stage pokemon like Skorupi. However your overall stat total suggests this pokemon is at least evolved or is a single evolution

With the moveset you've given it's clear that you want a pokemon that can come out and get the first hit in (good speed) however you shoot yourself in the foot with a bad attack stat as it won't do much and your pokemon won't be able to survive a hit meant to hit a weakness.

Your biggest move you're going to hate is Mach Punch, this punch move will deal weakness and go before your pokemon has a chance to attack and if it's boosted by like say Iron Fist or Tough Claws then it will KO your pokemon and what your pokemon will respond with won't be enough to kill it before another mach punch comes in and definitely KOes it

High Speed does nothing against priority moves.

The main problem with this pokemon is that it's too weak to tank (Bad HP/No Recovery) too weak to revenge kill. (No Priority & Bad Attack/Special Attack) can't deal enough damage to tank and counter a pokemon with priority (again bad HP/Attack/Special Attack)

My advice, if you're really intent on making this pokemon a brawler then give it the attack power needed to be a brawler. Even a Hitmonchan who has near the same base stat total is a better brawler then your Mauler. It has better attack power and priority moves while still having good defenses and a decent speed. You may out speed it but with mach punches it will overcome you.

Pure Power as an ability would do well... now he's a bulkier Marowak who can run scary choice sets except he has no coverage. He has all these bites/slash moves but no elemental fangs to offer him type coverage and no STABs.

I disagree with dumping special attack though. You'd never want to be so blatant about power building a Pokemon. Even extremely aggressive attackers on just one side still usually end up with something around 50 in the other attack stat. At base 450, you could actually just add stats without dumping another. Moving him to base 500 even could, with Pure Power as an offensive boost, make his HP high enough that he can actually use set-up moves and survive.

My suggestion would be to add 1 to his speed and increase his HP and use pure/huge power or hike his attack up to at least 100. Actually, even 100 attack is really weak without set-up moves or some powerful STAB like Close Combat or Earthquake to fall back on.

This is fun. We should have a CAP thread and poke around with each other's creations. We had one on Serebii awhile back. Might still...

Ok now I'm doing Mauler second evolution form Wolvon.

He have the same move set as Mauler which Wolvon included new moved to his evolution form: Quick Attack, Rage, and Recover.

His stats are

HP: 100
Attack: 100
Defense: 200
Special Attack: 100
Special Defense: 200
Speed: 200

What your thoughts and opinions of Wolvon stats and move sets?

Well, it just became an insanely over-statted 'mon, as it's BST is now 900. That's a whopping 120 points over Mega Rayquaza.

But, unfortunately, it still manages to be largely useless as it's not much more than a block of meat. It can kinda sorta take a hit, but has no STAB moves to hit back with, and has nothing to stall with beyond Recover and items.

Bigger numbers are nice and all, but if you can't do anything with those numbers, well, you can't do anything.