If there really is an apocalypse, this might be a sign - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

If there really is an apocalypse, this might be a sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzana View Post
I have missed alot without cable. I am just waiting for Disney to buy Coke or McDonald's and soon we will have a Mega-corpartation. Disney: We own you.
Here's a fun fact: Go look up how many of the 50 biggest economies in the world are multinational corporations, rather than nations. We already have mega-corporations.

I've got and looked up the '50 biggest economies in the world" and so far I'm seeing...a list of nations. Do you have a link to back your claim?

Does anyone know what this'll actually mean for Marvel? Is Disney just going to distribute their movies and merchandise, or will they start making movies (I admit to being partial to Pixar versions, after The Incredibles...), or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
I've got and looked up the '50 biggest economies in the world" and so far I'm seeing...a list of nations. Do you have a link to back your claim?
I think what he is saying is that many corporations have large GDP than many countries. For example, WalMart's "economy" is larger than all but 18 countries.

Not that I disagree, but this seems like something worth posting a link to when referencing it? Perhaps someone could oblige?

Who knows, this could actually be really good or really bad. It all depends on how hands on Disney is, it would be ideal that they just fund some incredible projects but you never know. Not all corporation buy outs turn great companies and studios into crap. EA has made quite the turn around itself. Only a couple of years ago was EA the video game Satan, EA is more widely accepted now since they attempt to turn out good games.

EDIT: Daniel, I posted a link to the article on my OP.

Personally, I've enjoyed a few of the animated Marvel/DC movies that've come out (the Ultimate Avengers, Wonder Woman...) and think it's an underappreciated medium for comic book adaptations. So I'm hopeful this might result in more of those.

I was referring to a link concerning the fact that these companies have a greater income than the GDP of countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
Personally, I've enjoyed a few of the animated Marvel/DC movies that've come out (the Ultimate Avengers, Wonder Woman...) and think it's an underappreciated medium for comic book adaptations. So I'm hopeful this might result in more of those.
^This. While the animated movies haven't been of the highest caliber they were enjoyable. If Disney plays their cards right they should be having Pixar and Marvel collaborating with the massive mountains of money at Disney's disposal. They could make some really amazing things if they did, I hope they don't dumb it down though. Imagine a full 3D pixar/marvel helmed X-men movie. Imagine Wolverine going "SNIKT" and eviscerating a group of baddies turning them into glorious HD gory pulp.

*Drools*

EDIT: Oh, my mistake. Stop your ninja posting shenanigans! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
So I googled, it, and the first thing I got was " http://www.corporations.org/system/top100.html " But that one's old. Lemme try to find a more recent one...

Edit: Here's another reference. http://news.mongabay.com/2005/0718-worlds_largest.html That one's still old, but it's not AS old. Anyone have a better link? I mean, I don't actually get this stuff from online news sources all too often.