How can we turn a hireling into a horse? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

How can we turn a hireling into a horse?

How can we turn a hireling into a horse?

A coworker asked me today a game question. They're playing 5E DnD, which I'm not yet intimately familiar with. They have a hireling that they'd really like to turn (temporarily) into a horse. Bonus points if they can somehow keep the horse's head human (not centaur-like. Just the head.). They're currently level 3, and are seeking the best way to do this at an early level.

The closest I could get based on my knowledge would be either have the hireling take a level of druid (may not be an option), get to 7th level so their wizard can cast Polymorph, or find a magical item that lets them use polymorph. I also suggested that they could just buy a horse, but that's apparently not something they're interested in.

Is there some other way they might be able to do this? I imagine it would rely on DM fiat, but I'd be interested to see what rules the site can bring to bear on this.

Would the hireling allow this?
:O

Have an eccentric wild magic sorcerer hire them for a job, then at a suitable point in the story have the NPC's magics go awry. You can dictate what happens (man-headed henchman horse) because wild magic surge.

@TheOasysMaster It's not clear to me whether or not the Hireling would be a willing participant in this. If I were DMing the game, the answer would be "heck no," but it seems they're taking a slightly sillier tone. I'll report back when I can.
@Cairo , thanks for that option! I'll have to re-read the wild magic surge rules, but it seems like that's a possible (though improbable) route!

@mildly_competent I don't have my PHB here right now but I'm fairly sure the WMS table does not contain an entry for man-headed henchman horse, however what it does is give the GM a plausible excuse to have this happen

Is it important to them that they do it personally? I’m asking because the obvious option is to have a wizard do it in return for the heroes doing something for him/her.

There’s definite story potential there. ”So, how did we get into this situation? Well, it all started when we decided that we wanted Bob to be a horse...”

Hmm...if it were 3.5 edition, one level of druid could let him have the Shapeshift option, replacing Wild Shape. I think that could get a hireling sufficiently quadrupedal.

Why do the party want to turn their hireling into a human-headed horse, anyway? Why not hire a centaur, or just get a normal horse? Do they need a very intelligent horse for some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaday Daydream
Why do the party want to turn their hireling into a human-headed horse, anyway? Why not hire a centaur, or just get a normal horse? Do they need a very intelligent horse for some reason?
I don't honestly know. I think it's a little bit of silliness and a little bit of sadism! This guy was part of a group of bandits that they took out a while back, and apparently he was peeing-his-pants scared, and promised his life to them if they'd spare him. So I'm told now they've had this guy under their care/employment doing things for them with greater or lesser enthusiasm.

I think this might just be the next thing in a long line of torture they're giving this poor chap. Plus the horse might be more useful and funny if he had a human head?

I just told them to buy a horse or try to hire a centaur. But the coworker is quite insistent.

Polymorph... Also note hirelings have no obligation to stick around if not treated respectfully. And as they're NPC's controlled by the DM, he has fiat to determine that if the push it too far, he could lose it and leave...a sword sticking out of a sleeping party member's chest

Hmm...well, all I can suggest is proficiency with Medicine, proficiency with (and a set of) weaver's tools, a lot of Cure Wounds spells and potions of healing. And an expendable horse.

Alternatively, sovereign glue, duct tape, a battleaxe, and a cleric capable of Raise Dead (or Revivify+Gentle Repose), if you want to do a fast job of it.