Role Play and Real Life - Myth-Weavers

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

Role Play and Real Life

Role Play and Real Life

Like many folks, over the years I found fantasy fiction (of course beginning with and always returning to Tolkien) to be a relaxing but meaningful way to escape from the real world of work and graduate school. I played D&D in high school with school friends, which faded as we went off to college and "got serious" about life. Years later with small children at home, I started playing some online games (DDO, LOTRO) that got me back into the world of D&D, but they always felt too scripted. As my kids have gotten older, I've found more time to get more fully into things like the LOTR LCG, and more recently D&D both via PbF and recently at my FLGS.

Now I like to think of moving into RPG's not as an escape from reality, but as extension of it. Not only have I read a lot in the fantasy genre and have an active imagination, but I also have taught Medieval and Renaissance history and regularly lead travel groups to the UK. I'm applying my interest in Gothic architecture, Norman castles, Celtic poetry, the stories of King Arthur, and more, into the fantasy realms of D&D. I hope I can bring some flavor and ideas from those real historical worlds into the games I'm in, as much for my own benefit as anyone's.

Tolkien himself said that the beauty of Myth (or Faerie, as he called it) is that it takes something familiar and makes it strange -- real world scenarios, problems, issues -- it lets us see them in a new light. We can toy with those things in a fantasy world without the serious consequences of making a real world mistake. Thankfully casting a fireball into a crowded room is not like nuking a small country, but it's not totally unlike it. Fantasy is a place for thinking as well as playing.

So I'm looking forward to getting to know this community better, and joining some amazing adventures with others who see role playing not only as an escape but also as something fulfilling and meaningful and thought-provoking -- as well as just plain fun.

Welcome! It is a good community.

Quote:
"Fantasy is a place for thinking as well as playing."
-TolkienProf
Very nicely put. I find this resonating with me for reasons I can't quite articulate.

Welcome to the community. I'm new here too. And although this site is murder on mobile, I'd certainly enjoy adventuring in Middle-earth with you sometime. When did you first discover Tolkien? What was your entry point into that world?

Welcome to the Weave, @TolkienProf !

First of all, here's a link to our New to Play by Post thread, which contains several handy links that you will likely find useful, including how our dice code works. We do things a touch differently than other sites, where we have game ads posted and prospective players apply. You'll want to swing over by our Games and Ads section to check that out! Every GM does it a little differently, so check the campaign info and forum for the exact details.

We support a very wide variety of systems here, ranging from good ol D&D (of all editions) to Pathfinder to Shadowrun to Fate to PbtA to OSR to, well, I don't think there's a system we don't support or have players for. So if you spot something outside of your norm that catches your attention - go ahead and apply for it anyways. Many of our GM's are very newbie friendly!

Also, I recommend getting chatty through out the forums or even dropping by our Discord Channel. Just watch out for those welcoming harpoons - they're harmless... mostly

If you have any questions, let us know! Don't be afraid to ask, either - we do our best to help people out.

-Yamazaki

Like all drugs, I got hooked on hobbits by a friend in high school. He gave me his three dog-eared volumes of The Lord of the Rings, which I still have. So I read them in around 10th grade, and have gone back to re-read them every few years. More recently I wrote a book review on several books exploring philosophy, politics, and economics in Tolkien, the most fun I've ever had doing writing. I've been to The Eagle and Child pub in Oxford where Tolkien and C.S. Lewis hung out, and you can feel The Prancing Pony in the bones of that old place. It's been a couple of years since I read the LOTR books (though I read The Hobbit with my kids more recently) so it's about time to get back into them...

When I was just a knee-high stripling my father used to tell me bedtime stories that he made up involving a tree-man and little people of the forest. It wasn't until several years later he gave me an old battered copy of the Hobbit to read and told me that it was from this and the 'sequel' (as he put it) that he got the story ideas.

Whilst reading the Hobbit didn't really grab me .. it's a fun story and all, but just lacked a little in the writing for me, probably because it was aimed at kids that were a couple of years younger than I was at the time ... LotR captivated me like no other book had before.

Think I must have read the trilogy at least 20 times now, and it never ceases to captivate me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TolkienProf View Post
Like all drugs, I got hooked on hobbits by a friend in high school. He gave me his three dog-eared volumes of The Lord of the Rings, which I still have. So I read them in around 10th grade, and have gone back to re-read them every few years. More recently I wrote a book review on several books exploring philosophy, politics, and economics in Tolkien, the most fun I've ever had doing writing. I've been to The Eagle and Child pub in Oxford where Tolkien and C.S. Lewis hung out, and you can feel The Prancing Pony in the bones of that old place. It's been a couple of years since I read the LOTR books (though I read The Hobbit with my kids more recently) so it's about time to get back into them...
*Envy* I hope to visit 'The Bird and Baby' one day. Only problem is that the pub is in England, and I have no reason (other than the pub of topic) to visit. Do they allow visitors into the Rabbit Room?

The back room at The Eagle and Child is pretty nondescript now, but the nooks in the front have great portraits of the Inklings, and are cozy and warm with the right brew to hand.

@TolkienProf: Two new members in two days interested in Middle-Earth, only 2 weeks after I posted my ad about a campaign using The One Ring RPG. Such a shame!

Welcome to the 'Weave. I too like games with something more than escapism & dice; philosophical themes and difficult questions with no single answer that can really enhance the narrative experience and function as a medium for thinking about such things, which are fundamental to the human condition. I think we are in the minority here, but I think this is the direction RPGs are slowly starting to move towards.

@TolkienProf and @Vladim: I can only hope that there is something more than escapism and rolling dice in the realms of RPG. Just because one form is written and the other improvised doesn't mean that real ideas can't be included. That's the reason I was drawn to LotR, and the reason I was also drawn into RPG games -- the fantastical elements provide a space to grapple with real philosophy and the stuff of life, in a way that other literature can't really grasp. I love it entirely.

I'm brand new to this community as well, and I'm comforted to discover like minds like you all so readily.