Tempest - A Clash of Magic - Myth-Weavers

Tempest - A Clash of Magic

Old Feb 12 '19, 10:07am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tempest - A Clash of Magic

Tempest: A Clash of Magic - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds 3e

Magic isn't hiding. It's railing against the prison of time like a crazed lunatic, and what's worse, is it's escaping.

Ancient families are seeing the return of their power. Old artifacts now thrum with new vigor. And creatures unseen for centuries or even millennia are walking in broad daylight.

The world of magic and mystery is starting to return to the modern earth. And the modern earth isn't ready for it. Those without magical talent, the sad majority of humanity, cannot see, understand, or remember their encounters with it. But magic is dangerous and growing. So those who have no idea of the newfound dangers in their midst need protection against it.

Those who can't defend themselves, those who don't even know that they need to be defended, those that are alone in the dark, now have protectors. The Special Investigations Unit is a new squad built for a world of emerging magic. Drawn from various backgrounds and extensive types of training these individuals step forward to protect civilians from the chaos of magic.

Who are you? And why have you joined the SIU?

System: Mutants and Masterminds 3e with some rule modifications

Power Level: PL 10 with 120 power points.

Magic in this Setting: Each character is allowed to have access to two elements. One must be spirit. The other can be Fire, Wind, Water, or Earth. Spirit allows for the interaction and memory of magically inclined beings. Those without spirit magic cannot remember encounters with magical creatures or objects. And will instead fill in the gaps of their memory with 'probable excuses' such as a gas explosion, or terrorist attack. The other elements allows for the manipulation and work of the element. A mixture of Spirit and the Element of choice allows for a variety of magical types and styles.

Setting The setting for this game is a modern day coastal city in the United States called Emerald Bay. Emerald Bay has several large parks, a thriving city center and a growing population. It also has a large crime rate and several dilapidated neighborhoods.

References: Dresden Files, Avatar: The last Airbender, Kaze No Stigma

Game Description:

The world of technology and magic have existed together but separate for thousands of years. Though as time passes, these two worlds clash together. Ordinary mortals are unaware of these clashes. Their minds clouded against the actions of the arcane. However, these clashes have become more and more frequent in recent years, and as magic resurfaces and bubbles through to reality, new actions need to be taken.

Those that are aware of magic have created new task forces to deal with mystic interference. But due to the variety and scope of the issue, have been forced to take on recruits of mystic persuasion, rather than just that of police and military.

The world itself is a modern-day city, with a hidden background of Kami, Fey, Witches, Warlocks, and other spectral beings.

Can you give an example of the sorts of powers we'll be wielding? I see the mention of Avatar. That brings to mind a very specific power set of projecting elements. Do you see magic in this game being very regimented - you're a Fire Mage, Water Mage, etc, or is there room for more arcane powers? For example, teleportation might be an aspect of Air, or shapeshifting might be an aspect of Water?

Basically, can we do anything we want within our respective 'element' so long as it can be narratively linked to the element? Or do you really want to see more physical manifestations of powers, such as 'firebending' or 'earthbending' would suggest in Avatar: The Last Airbender?

Edit: Also, is a spirit only build acceptable? Or are all magically inclined beings dual-natured?

You could just be a spirit based person. Likely to have gained the power through repeated interaction with the supernatural so that your mind 'awakened' to its innate energy. But that usually comes with some hefty growing pains, so I'd expect it in your background.

Teleportation and Shapeshifting would both be a bit extreme. But you have the right idea. And I'd allow it if those were your characters focus with the magic.

Here's a response I had to an earlier question about spirit magic and magic in general.

Telepathic abilities, seeing invisible, seeing auras, and similar abilities would all fall under the spirit purview. You could also mix spirit and an element to get different effects. Spirit and Water for example could be used for healing. Where as spirit and fire could be done for visible illusions. Spirit and Earth could grant you a homunculus or some form of summon. And spirit and Air could be tracking/hiding magic. But those are just broad examples.

Alright, so if I understand it right, Spirit is more of a mental or spiritual domain. So pure Fire would be things like fireballs, immunity to fire, shooting fire out of your feet to fly. That is, the raw elements are purely physical, elemental effects or actions. But Spirit+element can get you some more 'meta' powers, like Spirit+Water giving you a water-elemental construct that can do your bidding. Whereas Spirit just gives you the more traditional enlightened / psychic / clairvoyant paranormal powers you typically hear about in the real world.

I guess I just want to vet some examples to be sure I'm on your wavelength.

Yeah. That's about right.

Also, can we have some more background on the SIU? Like, if nobody knows about magic but those that practice it, how did such an organization come to be? Is there a Department of Spiritual Affairs we're agents of, or is it just another branch of the Emerald Bay Police Department? How were we informed of the organization? Is our recruitment going to be part of the game or are we just going to start off as fresh SIU agents? Or are we more inventing things as we start out till we get a feel for how the world works?

You mention Avatar as an influence here. Would it be possible to make a Sokka instead of a magic user?

I see one application that appears to be a summoned elemental, stuck on Earth. Do you have preferences regarding non-human or half-human types of characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notion View Post
Also, can we have some more background on the SIU? Like, if nobody knows about magic but those that practice it, how did such an organization come to be? Is there a Department of Spiritual Affairs we're agents of, or is it just another branch of the Emerald Bay Police Department? How were we informed of the organization? Is our recruitment going to be part of the game or are we just going to start off as fresh SIU agents? Or are we more inventing things as we start out till we get a feel for how the world works?
The SIU is, apparently, a branch of the FBI. It is known publicly for dealing with terrorist organizations that focus on occult style killings. This allows them to recruit those who are actually in the occult know how without raising too many red flags. Know thy enemy and all that. You work loosely with the local PD, typically they'll find a case that has a lot of occult symbols or strange scenarios and the SIU will take over the case and resolve it.

The SIU would have either been approached by you, searching for someone who actually understands magic when you yourself are learning it. Or it may have approached you while you were learning magic in an attempt to keep you from being a part of the problem. Or it could have been any of a hundred other ways you connected (mutual acquaintances or the like).

I would appreciate your recruitment being in your background and you starting as fresh agents.

I'd welcome some suggestions of the game world, such as families, equipment, histories or the like that you want involved. But it isn't required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmons View Post
You mention Avatar as an influence here. Would it be possible to make a Sokka instead of a magic user?
A complete Sokka would be impossible. You would have some magical potential and abilities. Maybe nothing as grand as slinging powerful spells and the like. But you would most likely have some ability. Just remember, 99% of the populace can't hold on to any interaction with magic. So an ordinary cop wouldn't even realize what was going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGoblin View Post
I see one application that appears to be a summoned elemental, stuck on Earth. Do you have preferences regarding non-human or half-human types of characters?
The more magical your character is, the less ordinary humans can have a sustained interaction with you. Someone with a bloodline of fey or elemental or what have you would be a 'forgetful face'. Someone who seems to blend into the crowd, despite being physically attractive. Someone of full bloodline could almost completely rely on not having any lasting resources outside of 'special' humans and magical creatures. If you're willing to work around this issue (such as people forgetting you're on the phone when you call, people forgetting your name as soon as they lose visual contact with you, etc.) Then it's fine. If you want a mystical background, I would recommend either very thin mystical blood (a demon your great great great great grandmother or something), or a contract (you made a deal with an elemental for magical prowess), or something along those lines.