Out of the Abyss! - Myth-Weavers

Out of the Abyss!

Old Jun 19 '19, 4:47am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Out of the Abyss!

Out of the Abyss - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

The Underdark is a subterranean wonderland, a vast and twisted labyrinth where fear reigns. It is the home of horrific monsters that have never seen the light of day. It is here that the dark elf Gromph Baenre, Archmage of Menzoberranzan, casts a foul spell meant to ignite a magical energy that suffuses the Underdark and tears open portals to the demonic Abyss. What steps through surprises even him, and from that moment on, the insanity that pervades the Underdark escalates and threatens to shake the Forgotten Realms to its foundations. Stop the madness before it consumes you!

Starting PointCaptured by the drow! You wouldn't wish this fate upon anyone, yet here you are—locked in a dark cave. The cold, heavy weight of metal tight around your throat and wrists. You are not alone, other prisoners are trapped in here with you, in an underground outpost far from the light of the sun.

Your captors include a cruel drow priestess who calls herself Mistress llvara of House Myzzrym. Over the past several days, you've met her several times, robed in silken garments and flanked by two male drew, one of whom has a mass of scars along one side of his face and neck.

Mistress llvara likes to impress her will with scourge in hand and remind you that your life now belongs to her. “Accept your fate, learn to obey, and you may survive." Her words echo in your memory, even as you plot your escape.

Welcome!

I'm starting the Out of the Abyss campaign and am looking for six players in total.

Game Style: A classic mix of roleplay, combat, survival, and partial-sandbox adventuring. The campaign will follow the OotA book fairly closely, but I will be making changes and additions to keep things interesting.

About Me: I've DM'd on the table-top for over twenty-five years and have previously spent about two years DMing here on Mythweavers. I had to take a somewhat extended hiatus due to increased work responsibilities, but now, after taking on a new position, I'm ready to dive back into the Weave. I will do everything in my power to be a DM that you can count on to be here, see his game through, and not leave dedicated players hanging in the lurch. My view on how a game of Dungeons and Dragons, particular one here on Mythweavers 'should' be played, is detailed below.

Expectations on Posting: Ability to post a minimum of one time every weekday is required. A single post is required at some point during the weekend. If you cannot commit to this, please do not apply. Exceptions for things that come up (as they do) is of course expected, but even the slightest development of a pattern will require me to ask another player to take your spot. I believe that the death of a PbP game is a lack of momentum. Be aware that I consider momentum of the game to be its most important asset besides committed players.

Player expectations: I am looking for players who understand several simple and fundamental things about DnD or roleplaying games in general. If you do not agree with my view on these issues, this is not the game for you.

1. The game is more important than your character - This is a shared, group activity. Its success is dependent upon your ability to craft and play a character that is malleable enough that they can bend and flow with most group decisions. If this mentality is shared by the entire party, serious conflicts are unlikely. If you find yourself only able to play characters who are so set in their development and personality that they cannot yield to actions and decisions that move the game forward for the benefit of all, please do not apply.

2. The show must go on - Campaigns work when players realize there is a joint responsibility to make them work. In pbp, this is especially true. We all need each other to keep the campaign fun, engaging, and entertaining. The group needs four personalities to drive the campaign, not three personalities and an emotionless stat-block.

3. The campaign world is a shell, not straight jacket. - This campaign will be set in the Forgotten Realms world. That being said, the background and history (the official canon, as it were) is there to provide a pretty background, names to organizations and places and so on. I am always willing to answer a question about any particular piece of campaign information the players would like to know. The short answer is that all of this information is available online, but the longer (and better information) is that the vast, vast majority of it isn't necessary to help someone have fun in this game. If you like that level of crunch in your campaign background, I will happily share your enthusiasm and give you buckets of info. In general though, I don't ask my players to understand more about the campaign world than I have personally provided. If they want to go further, awesome. If they don't, that is fine also.

Combat: Combat will be 'theater of the mind'. No battle-maps will be used. We will use a tiered initiative system. There only house rule that I use is an expanded use of knowledge skills, as detailed in the campaign thread.

New Players: Players who are new to DnD 5E, to Mythweavers, or to both, are more than welcome to apply. Adherence to the points listed above is far more important to me than familiarity with the game mechanics, world, or this site's BBCode.

Character creation:
- All characters will start at level 1.
- All characters will use the elite array of ability scores: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 in whichever order you prefer.
- All characters have max hit points at first level.
- No character may be of any evil alignment.
- All characters MUST select a Background (from the PHB or another approved source.)
- The Personality, Ideal, Bond, Flaw system should serve as a guide, don't feel pigeon-holed into the list in the book, but have something on your character sheet for these entries that I can work with.
- Race and class choices may be made from the PHB, DMG, Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, Volo's Guide to Monsters, and Xanathar's Guide to Everything. No race or sub-race with an innate fly speed will be allowed.
- Spells from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Princes of the Apocalypse are available to any classes allowed to use them.
- Feel free to add as much or as little background to your character as you like, but at the very least you must be able to answer the question, "How did you end up captured and imprisoned by the drow?" The more you give me, the more I can personalize portions of the story to your character.
- Please select and submit a list of starting equipment. Your character won't actually begin the game with any of it, but it may be recoverable at some later point, depending on the party's decisions.

I will be accepting applications for two weeks, and will close the ad at midnight on July 2nd.

Please post all applications here: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthr...0#post14346090
Please feel free to ask me any questions in the 'Character concepts and pre-game chatter' thread.

Last edited by Skarbrand; Jun 19 '19 at 4:47am..
The last adventure I took to the Underdark did not go in my favor but this sounds really interesting.

Is it safe to say that without a battle map that your account of the current landscape of the battle would be detailed enough to grasp where the PC's and enemies currently sit?

Whoa, this looks kind of awesome! Some pretty intimidating character applications, too. GL everyone.