This week in video games... - Page 11 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

I actually got Skyrim on the recent sale as well. I'd been avoiding it after my experience with Oblivion. It's interesting. The gameplay is even more dumbed down than Oblivion with even less skills, no stats anymore at all, and the total removal of the staple spell crafting system of the last three games in the series... On the other hand, the world, graphics, and the performance are far superior to the lore destroying, intentionally derivative, low resolution, sluggish mess that was Oblivion.

One thing to keep in mind about Skyrim and all TES games is that while they are all very open ended in their game world, the actual individual quests and character interactions are about as linear as a rail road track. As a matter of fact, Skyrim often forces you to accept optional quests the moment you encounter them with no option to say "I'll do it later." And of course the quests themselves are generally devoid of any meaningful choices, and basically just variations of "Go here and kill everything"

I don't know if it's just that my expectations have fallen so low, but I can't really hate Skyrim the same way I did Oblivion. It's just more enjoyable for some reason.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Watch Dogs has been kicked back to 2nd quarter of 2014. Tentative release date at this point is some time the 2nd week of April, which I hope sticks. I am so looking forward to this game.

I think I got Skyrim during the summer Steam Sale. I love how you can just click to install mods. But I haven't really played it for a while. Lately I have been playing Saints Row the Third. A lot. I should probably finish it, but I did shell out for Saints Row IV last night on Steam since it's 60% off as well as all the DLC.

I picked up Skyrim when it came out. Interestingly, EVERYONE in the aid station, gamer or not, was playing it, whether on PC, 360, or PS3. I'm a PC Gamer myself, and, I just started up a new campaign again. This time I console-commanded my way through the main questline, and now I'm just out and exploring (again), but this time with a flintlock rifle! (Mods. Mods. MODS!) Also, I decided the M1 Garand I could run around with was just a little too powerful ;D

I had Skyrim on my Xbox 360 for the longest, but when I got my new PC (spec'd to be able to run games) I got it for the PC and modded the ever loving hell out of it. Now, I actually feel a bit more like a hero than I did originally. Never mind having Sheogorath yell "CHEESE FOR EVERYONE" is just fun from time-to-time (said "shout" causes explosive cheese to rain from the sky, for those of you who don't mod or are on consoles).

Also, thanks to Steam's sales I've picked up Sleeping Dogs (and all its DLC), Bioshock: Infinite, and Batman: Arkham City GOTY Edition for dirt cheap! I will be busy this holiday season, which is good, since I'm not going to look into upgrading my console until tax season hits. Then, it's on, assuming my new guitar doesn't take up too much tax money....curse you spending money I don't have...

So, good thing I'm ADHD about the games I play, otherwise things would get weird. After all, my mage in Skyrim still has 4 dragon priest masks to find! I will find you....
~Lady Deathwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
I actually got Skyrim on the recent sale as well. I'd been avoiding it after my experience with Oblivion. It's interesting. The gameplay is even more dumbed down than Oblivion with even less skills, no stats anymore at all, and the total removal of the staple spell crafting system of the last three games in the series... On the other hand, the world, graphics, and the performance are far superior to the lore destroying, intentionally derivative, low resolution, sluggish mess that was Oblivion.
The *levelling system* is "dumbed down" - the gameplay is still the same old click-at-it-till-it-dies-from-your-chosen-damage-source that was in Morrowind and Oblivion. One can also argue that with the perks added (a nice little idea taken from Fallout, at a guess), the levelling system is actually more interesting and complex than it ever has been - and they do add a nice dynamic to the way you plan out your character. Admittedly, you can now level to Oblivion and back with the "Legendary" thing, but it takes so long it doesn't matter to most players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint
One thing to keep in mind about Skyrim and all TES games is that while they are all very open ended in their game world, the actual individual quests and character interactions are about as linear as a rail road track. As a matter of fact, Skyrim often forces you to accept optional quests the moment you encounter them with no option to say "I'll do it later." And of course the quests themselves are generally devoid of any meaningful choices, and basically just variations of "Go here and kill everything"

I don't know if it's just that my expectations have fallen so low, but I can't really hate Skyrim the same way I did Oblivion. It's just more enjoyable for some reason.
I find that while in Skyrim it's often easiest to just kill everything, there are actually other ways to complete many quests - they are still a minority, but more numerous than might be expected. Sneak, in particular (or Illusion) can offer all kinds of alternate routes through dungeons that involve less killing, and Speech can frequently open doors without a key, as can Pickpocketing.

As for the person above complaining about all the pointless searchable drawers and warderobes and whatnot: So don't search them. No-one's forcing you to search everything, and it's not like the designers put anything important in them. It's just your own neuroses keeping you doing the frenetic "I MUST CARRY EVERYTHING" that forces you back to town so often. Something any experienced TES vet has had to deal with over the years.

I remember morrowind... oh god... "Hey, that's not nailed down. yoink. And that too, yoink. Damn, why can't I move? Oh right, I'm varrying fifty seven forks and 60 plates..."

Most of that stuff isn't even valuable. There are lots of things to dislike about Skyrim, but that isn't one that makes any sense.

I found myself enjoying the vanilla aspects of Skyrim more than those of Oblivion, then again, I'd hardly play either without enough mods to make my poor computer cry.

Regarding the quests, Skyrim IS chockful of mmorpg-esque grindish quests that get auto-added to your journal with no option not to get them or remove them, you can still not do them, but they're still there in the journal. There are, of course, a good few quests that can have interesting alternatives.

I too, suffer from compulsive looting, and compulsive stealing... and putting a couple tons of items on a corpse and dragging it to the horse, looting and then riding into the sunset.

There IS something I cursed vehem- *killed by Mountain Lion*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
I remember morrowind... oh god... "Hey, that's not nailed down. yoink. And that too, yoink. Damn, why can't I move? Oh right, I'm varrying fifty seven forks and 60 plates..."

Most of that stuff isn't even valuable. There are lots of things to dislike about Skyrim, but that isn't one that makes any sense.
Haha, my first game of Morrowind, I didn't even make it out of the Customs Office before getting overloaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
Regarding the quests, Skyrim IS chockful of mmorpg-esque grindish quests that get auto-added to your journal with no option not to get them or remove them, you can still not do them, but they're still there in the journal. There are, of course, a good few quests that can have interesting alternatives.
Those bother me less than the ones that are there permanently because the message or the quest itself is bugged. I mean, it's to be expected, but it's still annoying.

I used to go through open world games like a whirlwind, sucking everything up in my path. No home was safe, no little girl's tea set, no single mother's dishware, no working husband's shovel and pick, all would be taken up by the plague that was "Adventurer!"

Now, unless the item has a particular interest to me, or a price tag over some arbitrary amount, I just don't care. Now I use bodies to poison rivers or leave piled up as a warning to would-be bandits.