This week in video games... - Page 12 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

As a sidenote with Skyrim and the legendary tweak to it...

My son recently, i.e. a few days ago, decided to mess with it. He discovered quickly that by using the paralysis transformation spell he could hit 100 in that particular casting skill in no more than 6 castings. I think it was 4 or 5, I don't remember off hand at the moment. He spent 40 minutes on this trick and ended up at level 192, lol.

Edit: It was his "proof of concept" that he could start a character and get every perk in the game within a few hours. He replicated this with both sneak and pickpocket as well. I'm uncertain if he's managed it with any other skills.

It's not quite as immediate as that tho, you need a way to get off the paralysis spell for free, which means knowing the right enchantment, and either a whole lot of ranks in enchanting plus several of the best soul gems, or going through the restoration potion exploit.
Doing it with sneak or pickpocket is a whole lot slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
It's not quite as immediate as that tho, you need a way to get off the paralysis spell for free, which means knowing the right enchantment, and either a whole lot of ranks in enchanting plus several of the best soul gems, or going through the restoration potion exploit.
Doing it with sneak or pickpocket is a whole lot slower.
4 specific pieces of armor can make it cost 0...

I just realized, Skyrim took our away ability to wear pants.

I concur, and second the motion. Motion moves to table. Opposed?

Well, Skyrim removed a lot of other abilities too. I wouldn't be completely surprised if TES 6 had 3 skills, Melee, Ranged, Magic. Maybe a fourth for stealth, but probably not.

Hey MonkWren, is you name actually MonkeyWrench but you're secretly afflicted with a condition that keeps you from writing the last third of a word? I just noticed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
Well, Skyrim removed a lot of other abilities too. I wouldn't be completely surprised if TES 6 had 3 skills, Melee, Ranged, Magic. Maybe a fourth for stealth, but probably not.

Hey MonkWren, is you name actually MonkeyWrench but you're secretly afflicted with a condition that keeps you from writing the last third of a word? I just noticed that.
Yes. It didn't fit into AIM way back in the day, so was shortened to the above, which has stuck with me ever since.

Also: Skyrim removed a lot of dumb abilities, in there. Like acrobatics and athletics (I mean, seriously? I gotta spend the whole damn game jumping everywhere I go?), or some of the extra schools of magic. I don't even mind that they lumped weapons into categories based on one-hand vs. two, instead of by weapon type. One of my few complaints about Morrowind was the sheer number of utterly worthless skills.

I rather liked Skyrim's perk system; I just think it suffered from a lot of crap-perks. Kind of makes Skyrim feel more homey and more like D&D, heh. In terms of levelling up, Wren is probably right that it was the most complex of the TES series, but that's not really very much to begin with. I'm glad the +5's died and I hope it was an agonizing death. I always modded that crap out.
Daggerfall had the most complex character creation of the TESes. Creating a custom class pretty much gave you free reign to make whatever character you wanted.

Heh, cool, a 'what have you played recently' thread. Sounds fun.

I really enjoyed Skyrim, but it only REALLY got good after installing a ton of immersion mods. Adding the need to keep warm, eating, drinking, and sleeping made all the difference to me. You would think it would start getting tedious, but it really amped up the gritty tundra feeling of the land.

For me recently, I finally got to Mass Effect 3. Played 1 and 2 a long while back and the universe, lore, characters and plot concept was an absolute blast... All up until that ending. I had some how managed to avoid spoilers this whole time, but I had already heard the ending would be bad, I mean, I was expecting a lot of crazy things for a bad ending, but invalidating every choice you made over the span of 3 games, that was genuinely unexpected. The build up and desperate all out galactic war feeling really got across to me... But again, the pay off, and knowing that every choice you made from the first game made no difference on the end... Just... I wasn't expecting a lot, but, Wow.

I waited until I could get it for cheap (10 bucks at best buy) but with all the DLC and thinly veiled gouging of its fans I STILL felt like I was held upside down and shaken until every penny fell out.

Amazing game and franchise, but Damn... I just feel like, with the frame work of the universe they had built, it had the potential to be epic, like some grand opportunity was thoroughly wasted. And I mean real epic not the watered down way the term is used nowadays.