This week in video games... - Page 14 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

I don't have it, but I heard it's really fun, and a lot better than three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkingkoal View Post
For me recently, I finally got to Mass Effect 3. Played 1 and 2 a long while back and the universe, lore, characters and plot concept was an absolute blast... All up until that ending. I had some how managed to avoid spoilers this whole time, but I had already heard the ending would be bad, I mean, I was expecting a lot of crazy things for a bad ending, but invalidating every choice you made over the span of 3 games, that was genuinely unexpected. The build up and desperate all out galactic war feeling really got across to me... But again, the pay off, and knowing that every choice you made from the first game made no difference on the end... Just... I wasn't expecting a lot, but, Wow.

I waited until I could get it for cheap (10 bucks at best buy) but with all the DLC and thinly veiled gouging of its fans I STILL felt like I was held upside down and shaken until every penny fell out.

Amazing game and franchise, but Damn... I just feel like, with the frame work of the universe they had built, it had the potential to be epic, like some grand opportunity was thoroughly wasted. And I mean real epic not the watered down way the term is used nowadays.
On the plus side, despite the ending issues, I still feel that Mass Effect 3 is the best in the series. The journey is just phenomenal and extremely emotional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Did anyone get Black Flag? How different is it from the previous games?
It's fairly solid. I would suggest that you check out Total Biscuit's review of the game, if you want an in-depth explanation of its pros and cons.

As good as AC4 is supposed to be, I kind of don't want to play it. I actually liked the future plot, which they've completely screwed over for the sake of an endless franchise, and it'll always be lurking there in the background just making me realize that this game series used to have an overarching plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkingkoal View Post
For me recently, I finally got to Mass Effect 3. Played 1 and 2 a long while back and the universe, lore, characters and plot concept was an absolute blast... All up until that ending. I had some how managed to avoid spoilers this whole time, but I had already heard the ending would be bad, I mean, I was expecting a lot of crazy things for a bad ending, but invalidating every choice you made over the span of 3 games, that was genuinely unexpected. The build up and desperate all out galactic war feeling really got across to me... But again, the pay off, and knowing that every choice you made from the first game made no difference on the end... Just... I wasn't expecting a lot, but, Wow.

I waited until I could get it for cheap (10 bucks at best buy) but with all the DLC and thinly veiled gouging of its fans I STILL felt like I was held upside down and shaken until every penny fell out.

Amazing game and franchise, but Damn... I just feel like, with the frame work of the universe they had built, it had the potential to be epic, like some grand opportunity was thoroughly wasted. And I mean real epic not the watered down way the term is used nowadays.
Blargh. Every time somebody brings up Mass Effect 3 I get this knot in my stomach. I will never invest that much, emotionally, in a game franchise again. Once burned, twice shy.

Which I guess was good in the long run, because Diablo 3 probably would have embittered me a lot more if it hadn't come on the heels of ME3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Clamantis View Post
Blargh. Every time somebody brings up Mass Effect 3 I get this knot in my stomach. I will never invest that much, emotionally, in a game franchise again. Once burned, twice shy.

Which I guess was good in the long run, because Diablo 3 probably would have embittered me a lot more if it hadn't come on the heels of ME3.
In case you hasn't gathered, my ME 3 was Oblivion. Heh.

Er, actually I didn't complain much about Oblivion in this thread, but yeah. Oblivion made me a cynical gamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
In case you hasn't gathered, my ME 3 was Oblivion. Heh.

Er, actually I didn't complain much about Oblivion in this thread, but yeah. Oblivion made me a cynical gamer.
Morrowind was a once in a series sort of game. Lightning never strikes twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Clamantis View Post
Morrowind was a once in a series sort of game. Lightning never strikes twice.
That may be true. But there's a big difference between failing to recapture the magic of a unique experience, and intentionally trying to be an derivative as possible to the point where you actually retcon massive amounts of lore just to make the game world less unique, and therefore more likely to have just enough appeal to the largest number of people possible, and also leaving out parts of the game to sell to us later for extra money as "DLC". All while simultaneously turning an originally PC centric series into a dumbed down console port with all the technical limitations that entails, and even some it doesn't.

It always boggles my mind how reasonable people can be so unreasonably accepting of Oblivion as if it's just some flawed gem with a core of goodness buried under bugs. I just don't get it.

Today saw the re-release of City of Steam, the Unity based F2P, Industrial Age Fantasy MMO.

Some say it's P2W, but with a focus on PvE, there's no real "win" so that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

It is beautiful, and accessible to almost everyone, so I suggest giving it a whirl if you have a free hour or two, and let me know what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
That may be true. But there's a big difference between failing to recapture the magic of a unique experience, and intentionally trying to be an derivative as possible to the point where you actually retcon massive amounts of lore just to make the game world less unique, and therefore more likely to have just enough appeal to the largest number of people possible, and also leaving out parts of the game to sell to us later for extra money as "DLC". All while simultaneously turning an originally PC centric series into a dumbed down console port with all the technical limitations that entails, and even some it doesn't.

It always boggles my mind how reasonable people can be so unreasonably accepting of Oblivion as if it's just some flawed gem with a core of goodness buried under bugs. I just don't get it.
Because, despite it's flaws, Oblivions still shares the core gameplay mechanics and style of all the other TES games, and those are always fun, despite the bugs, retconning, and other issues with Oblivion. Was it flawed? Absolutely. Is it a steaming crap of a game no-one should ever play? No.