This week in video games... - Page 616 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

Let's keep the conversation on the topic of games.

Sorry.

I got bored of Skyrim and started playing City of Gangsters again to prepare for the Angela's maid game. I'm kind of annoyed there aren't more maid games on steam. It always seems like there's this one perfect concept I'd love to see that never pops up. Either that or some game title catches my eye, and I always end up disappointed by what I'm treated to.

Did you know there's a game called "Operation: Matriarchy" on steam? Yeah...it's a sci-fi Doom clone where you walk through a space station shooting people mutated by a space virus.

When I first saw that game I was like "Is this going to be some kind of 'Destroy all Humans' kind of camp parody game where I play as some weird kind of world conquering woman organization? Because that easily sounds like it would fall into 'so bad it's good' territory."

Then I clicked on it, and was heavily disappointed.

What kind of games would you like to see made? I personally just want some over the top cheese. Something that completely crosses the line twice style stuff.

I want to see more grand strategy games that are non-violent, or at least tend towards non-violent actions. Sometimes when I look at my game library I'm struck by how many games are all about killing folks, and it makes me really despondent.

I've got an idea of a 16-bit game that's X Com meets Resident Evil. Unfortunately I have neither the programming nor art expertise to make it a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
I want to see more grand strategy games that are non-violent, or at least tend towards non-violent actions. Sometimes when I look at my game library I'm struck by how many games are all about killing folks, and it makes me really despondent.
Offworld Trading Company, maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchslasher View Post
Offworld Trading Company, maybe?
Possibly, but I was thinking games that encourage you to be altruistic. I want a political game that encourages and rewards being good to your allies, not to simply engage in realpolitik!

I've thought for a while now that as stupid as slasher flicks are a non-linear kinda sandboxy survival horror game based on the concept could actually be really interesting. It should combine elements of The Ship or The Sims with survival horror so you start out the same way the characters in slasher flicks start out having to meet a bunch of needs while building up relationships with characters, and then have the monster attack and have to use those relationships to survive and if you're so inclined help the NPCs survive as well. It's got both sex and violence, but how much of either there is depends on your choices and your ability. What's not to love? The problem of course would be AI. I know there are a lot of multiplayer games where you have to team up to survive against a monster, but all of those are purely about beating the monster or escaping either by working together or screwing over your team. Basically they just completely cut out the first part of any of the actual movies and get straight to the slashing. If you could make a decent AI for the allied and hostile NPCs it'd be a much more interesting experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Lint View Post
I've thought for a while now that as stupid as slasher flicks are a non-linear kinda sandboxy survival horror game based on the concept could actually be really interesting. It should combine elements of The Ship or The Sims with survival horror so you start out the same way the characters in slasher flicks start out having to meet a bunch of needs while building up relationships with characters, and then have the monster attack and have to use those relationships to survive and if you're so inclined help the NPCs survive as well. It's got both sex and violence, but how much of either there is depends on your choices and your ability. What's not to love? The problem of course would be AI. I know there are a lot of multiplayer games where you have to team up to survive against a monster, but all of those are purely about beating the monster or escaping either by working together or screwing over your team. Basically they just completely cut out the first part of any of the actual movies and get straight to the slashing. If you could make a decent AI for the allied and hostile NPCs it'd be a much more interesting experience.
The way to do it would be something like Evolved meets Betrayal at House On the Hill. There's a Monster, and a team of 3 - 5 Victims; any role can be filled by an active player or AI bot. The Victims need to construct some weapon or uncover some mystery to defeat the Monster, while the Monster can be hurt and temporarily knocked down but until their Weakness is uncovered/a Weapon is constructed, they can't be killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
Possibly, but I was thinking games that encourage you to be altruistic.
Well most RPG's reward the "good" play better than they do the "bad" one, in my experience.

In SWTOR for example, Light Side choices (at least for Sith Empire characters) are far and away more practical, sensible and tactically sound (usually). The Dark Side options are usually childish and stupid, and were they continued across an entire Empire would quickly lead to its collapse rather than emergence as top dog of the galaxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytebio View Post
Well most RPG's reward the "good" play better than they do the "bad" one, in my experience.

In SWTOR for example, Light Side choices (at least for Sith Empire characters) are far and away more practical, sensible and tactically sound (usually). The Dark Side options are usually childish and stupid, and were they continued across an entire Empire would quickly lead to its collapse rather than emergence as top dog of the galaxy.
I don't want it in an RPG, I want it in a grand strategy game. I want something with the sale of Europa Universalis or Civilization that encourages you to be a good person instead of living by realpolitick.

"Bavaria I know we've been allies for the last century and a half, but you haven't grown since 1550 and I've eaten all of Poland so it's time to leave you behind and then conquer you."