NaNoWrimo 2018 - Page 11 - Myth-Weavers

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

NaNoWrimo 2018

Sure it is. If you have support, that is. Don't worry so much about the 50k. Worry about keeping up a habitual pace that's right for you. If you reach 30k instead of 50, that's still an accomplishment!

People see the 50k finishing line and realise they started so late behind the pack, they might as well give up. That's forgetting the point of being a writer, which is to write.

500 words a day. 100. 50. Something. Just like learning how to touch type, or juggle, writing is a skill that gets better with practice, and it starts with a little each day. If I'm at a loss for what to write that day, I will brainstorm something and play the, 'what if' game. I will plot out all the things that could happen next, and pick the most exciting one to write. Once I start, it's easier to keep going.

My prior record was 18,841 words in 2016.

I am 23 words short of doubling that record in 2018. Tomorrow, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAndrewJ View Post
My prior record was 18,841 words in 2016.

I am 23 words short of doubling that record in 2018. Tomorrow, though.
That's a great achievement! Celebrate it.

I've just reached 1 million for my Lifetime NaNo wordcount, which is oddly satisfying in a strange sort of way. It really does build up over time. This is my 11th year/win. So far this November, I've written a novel, a novella, and a YA novel start. I don't think I'll be able to finish the YA novel this month, but I'll get close.

I hope all of you are able to reach the peak of some new mountain this year, whether it's in writing or something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphinous View Post
I've just reached 1 million for my Lifetime NaNo wordcount, which is oddly satisfying in a strange sort of way. It really does build up over time. This is my 11th year/win. So far this November, I've written a novel, a novella, and a YA novel start. I don't think I'll be able to finish the YA novel this month, but I'll get close.

I hope all of you are able to reach the peak of some new mountain this year, whether it's in writing or something else.

Congrats Dauph, that's impressive.

This year, so far, I've managed to get the furthest I ever have into Nano, beating out my previous 35k from 2016. I also hit a lifetime nano word count of over 100k this season-- and I'm actually on track to finish a novel this year. That's the most exciting part. And I'm still ahead of Madadh, which is always a plus in my book.

Everyone is so close! Don't give up. I think this is the best year ever!

And well done, Chase. That's a great improvement and nothing to look down on.

The end of NaNo will start rolling across the globe in less than 24 hours. If you haven't yet validated, even if you're not close to 50k, but think you might get there, it's a good idea to take a moment and paste your words into the validator early anyway.

Why?

My friends, my wordcount was off by over 300 words compared to my word processor when I validated. With my wordcount, that was no big deal, but if you're close and their wordcount is wildly different from yours, it can be a huge deal. If you think you have any chance of hitting 50k by the end of the day tomorrow (and that's in YOUR timezone, not anyone else's), validate now and compare the result to your word processor's.

There is no punishment or penalty for validating prior to 50k, you just don't get the win yet. You can still update your wordcount after winning.

Also, congrats for crossing the line, hecklenjyde!

Go Team Weave!