Seeking 4-5 players for a spin-off adventure - Myth-Weavers

Seeking 4-5 players for a spin-off adventure

Old Jun 14 '19, 11:04pm
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Seeking 4-5 players for a spin-off adventure

Tales From the Twilight of the Third Age - Forum
The One Ring

'At that point there was a deep ford which they might have passed, if they had still had their ponies, and beyond that a track led to the skirts of the wood and to the entrance of the old forest road. But Beorn had warned them that that way was now often used by the goblins, while the forest-road itself, he had heard, was overgrown and disused at the eastern end and led to impassable marshes where the paths had long been lost.'

J. R. R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, Chapter 14: Queer Lodgings

The Setting

‘It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.’

J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring

It is the year 2949 of the Third Age. Smaug has been defeated and the battle of the Five Armies has been won. It is the dawn of a time of prosperity and hope. The dwarven kingdom of Erebor has been reclaimed; the descendants of Durin the Deathless are wealthier than ever before. Dale and lake-town have been rebuilt. Agents of King Bard are now roaming the Wilderland, eager to lead Men into a golden age. In the forests, the elves of the woodland realm can again venture deep into what once was Greenwood the Great, while the Woodmen see their holdings expand for the first time in centuries. To the west, Beorn the Skinchanger has abandoned his solitude, and now leads all sorts of brave, stout-hearted folk to patrol the Misty Mountains. Further to the west, the remarkable stories of Bilbo have spread throughout the Shire, inspiring many young hobbits. This is a time for trade, exploration, travelling and all sorts of adventure.

Yet the Shadow, although defeated, has not been truly vanquished. It still lingers in places where no elf or mortal dares set foot. The Enemy awaits in hiding, scheming his return… for if the Free Folks do not unite to hold back the Darkness, the Shadow is certain to grow stronger and envelop the whole of Wilderland.

The Campaign

'As their eyes became used to the dimness they could see a little way to either side in a sort of darkened green glimmer. Occasionally a slender beam of sun that had the luck to slip in through some opening in the leaves far above, and still more luck in not being caught in the tangled boughs and matted twigs beneath, stabbed down thin and bright before them. But this was seldom, and it soon ceased altogether.'

J. R. R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, Chapter 14: Queer Lodgings

At the end of The Hobbit, the Necromancer is driven out of his stronghold in Dol Guldur, Smaug the golden is slain and the orcs are defeated and much diminished. Thus it seems that a new age of hope and prosperity has dawned for the free folk of Wilderland. Unfortunately, this will not last: in the coming decades, Sauron's power will grow again, and he will declare in Mordor, and darkness will return once again to the forest of Mirkwood. These events will eventually lead to the War of the Ring and the end of the Third Age.

This game will be a spin-off campaign focusing on the efforts of the Free Folk, mainly Dwarves and Men, to restore the Old Forest Road that once cut through Mirkwood. This is a great undertaking that will take many years to be completed. We will start in Lake-Town, run a first adventure based on a heavily modified version of the Marsh-Bell from the Core Rulebook, and see how we go from there. I cannot promise an epic campaign, but if we can find a good group then I would be happy to continue.

The SystemThe One Ring (click for link).

TOR is a dice pool-based system that uses a d12 and d6s to resolve actions. The core mechanic is very simple. When you need to roll, you use a 'feat die' (d12) plus a number of 'success dice' (d6s) equal to your skill rank. The higher you roll, the better, though the typical number to meet or beat (target Number, or TN) is 14. An 11 on the feat die is an 'eye of Sauron'-potential failure, and / or something bad happens. A 12 on the feat die is a 'Gandalf'-automatic success. 6s on the d6 rolls may enable critical successes.

The figure on the left gives a rough idea of how skill ranks translate in this game. More detailed probability analysis can be found here (click).

The Player Characters in TOR do not have classes or levels, and almost everything is based on skills. They also have additional statistics and mechanics such as Hope and Shadow, that introduce many themes from the books into the game in a very direct and impactful manner. Although some options can be better than others during character generation / advancement, TOR is for the most part not min-maxable, and most characters should be viable.

Knowledge or familiarity with the rules is not required. The rules are simple and easy to learn, and I and other players are happy to teach you. You do not need to own any of the books either.

Expectations1. Posting rate: About 1 substantial (i.e. narrative-advancing) post per week.
2. Communication: Absences should be communicated when possible, as should other issues that can impact the game such as frustrations, boredom, lack of inspiration, real-life busyness etc.
3. Stats and rolls: Players are supposed to make their own rolls and track their own stats.
4. Tone, language and writing quality: Decent spelling, grammar and sentence / paragraph structuring are all good and strongly encouraged. Of course, small mistakes and typos will happen, and they are not a big deal. Players should stay true to the themes, language and style of the novels as best they can, though of course none is expected to write as well as the Professor.
5. Characters: PCs are expected to be proactive and try to follow their goals. Of course, there will also be plenty of things to react to, but motivated characters with compelling goals make for much more interesting stories.

Application process'I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone.'

J. R. R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

I am not a big fan of the standard application process. I think it is inefficient and requires that applicants spend lots of time on writing characters and backstories, which is wasted if they are not chosen for the game. For these reasons, I want the application process to be as easy and efficient as possible. I am much more interested in the players, and have no interest in finalized character sheets.

To apply, follow the following steps:

1. Click on the spoiler below to check that we are on the same page. READ THE TEXT. If you strongly disagree with many of these points, then I discourage you from applying. If you generally agree, then proceed to the next step.

2. At the same time, please provide a link to an in-character post of yours that you think is good. This serves as a writing sample, but by giving me a link I can save you the effort of writing one.
3. At the same time, tell me a bit (very briefly; 3 sentences max) about your longest-running, or best, Play-by-Post game, and give me a link to it (if applicable). You can PM me the link if it's off-site (if you want).
4. At the same time, take a look at the pregens here (link). Choose the three you'd be most interested in playing and list them up in order of decreasing priority (e.g. Pregen A > Pregen B > Pregen C). You can use the symbols >> or = to indicate strong preference or equal preference, respectively (e.g. A >> B = C means that you strongly prefer character A, but between B and C you don't strongly care).

Character sheets wll be generated after player selection.

Game Description:

‘It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.’

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age. Smaug has been defeated and the battle of the Five Armies has been won. It is the dawn of a time of prosperity and hope. The dwarven kingdom of Erebor has been reclaimed; the descendants of Durin the Deathless are wealthier than ever before. Dale and lake-town have been rebuilt. Agents of King Bard are now roaming the Wilderland, eager to lead Men into a golden age. In the forests, the elves of the woodland realm can again venture deep into what once was Greenwood the Great, while the Woodmen see their holdings expand for the first time in centuries. To the west, Beorn the Skinchanger has abandoned his solitude, and now leads all sorts of brave, stout-hearted folk to patrol the Misty Mountains. Further to the west, the remarkable stories of Bilbo have spread throughout the Shire, inspiring many young hobbits. This is a time for trade, exploration, travelling and all sorts of adventure.

Yet the Shadow, although defeated, has not been truly vanquished. It still lingers in places where no elf or mortal dares set foot. The Enemy awaits in hiding, scheming his return… for if the Free Folks do not unite to hold back the Darkness, the Shadow is certain to grow stronger and envelop the whole of Wilderland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thramzorean View Post
? I looked at the OOC thread and I saw players had just been picked. Is this a new spin off?
Yes. There will be 2 campaigns; one has already been running for 3+ years, and the other will be the one the new players will join. Sorry for the confusion.

Alright, so far I have 2 potentially interested players, one of who seems keen to play an elf (which I'd rather avoid). That's a bit lower to what I was expecting / hoping for.

Given the low interest, I am thinking of leaving this ad open for a few more days before deciding what to do next (e.g. run it solo, or just cancel the whole idea, if I cannot find any players who I could work with).

If anyone reading this is potentially interested but put off by some thing or another (e.g. the limited character choices), I am happy to hear it and perhaps consider relaxing some restrictions, though I make no promises at this stage.

I'm keen to give this a whirl, although my PbP history is somewhat limited given that I've not long come into the fold as it were.

I'm at work at present so can't give this the attention it deserves right now, but when I'm done for the day I'll come back and update.

If you want to see a sample of narrative, rather than a link to my one current PbP game that's just getting started, if you'd rather give me a short scenario, I can craft something up to see if it passes muster.

@Suzuki Stumpy: No worries, newcomers are also welcome. I hope that, if I run this, it will be friendly for people new to Play-by-Post, new to Myth-Weavers and new to The One Ring RPG.

I had a quick look and though you are new here, any in-character post will serve just fine as a sample of writing. I am happy to provide a short scenario if you want, of course, but I think it won't be necessary to do so - and definitely not at such an early stage.

Any questions you might have - feel free to ask them here! Thanks for the interest!

That's great. Figured I'd post the links here rather than directly in the Applications thread for the game at the moment (given that we've yet to settle on characters, etc.)

Here's a link to the game I'm currently playing in .. as you can see, we've only just begun really: (link to my first IC post for the game) ... also, might be worth taking a look at the Character Sheet for the background information to give some further flavour.

As you can see, there's not much thus far to go on since we've only really played out our introductions and first little vignette.

As for Pregen preference: Barin Greycloak > Barald the bold > Evoric the Hunter

@Suzuki Stumpy: No worries, those samples work well, and give me a good idea for your writing style. I think it would fit this game.

So far there are 4 players interested in the game:

Suzuki Stumpy: Barin Greycloak > Barald the bold > Evoric the Hunter
Raistlinmc: Asfrid
Eliadia: Fareth >> Grimhild > Evoric
Fossil Firebird: (an elf)

I'll leave this open until the weekend to (hopefully) get at least 1-2 more interested players before starting to think about how to proceed. But I think I have enough players to at least try to give it a shot.

It's still early to generate character sheets, but those who'd like to play with the crunch can use this freely available, online page that guides character generation step-by-step. I am happy to explain everything to those unfamiliar with the system.

http://azrapse.es/tor/sheet.html

After some consideration, I have decided to remove the restriction of having to play a pre-generated character. I thought that having pregens would streamline the application process and provide strong hooks, but I can understand how it can be restrictive. However, note that selecting a PC from some heroic cultures may be very difficult to justify, so I may be reluctant to allow them. Feel free to run your ideas by me.

To make things fair, I also want to allow those who have already expressed some interest (@Suzuki Stumpy, @Raistlinmc, @Eliadia) to do the same, if they prefer to make a character from scratch.

For any questions, feel free to also use our OOC thread: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=472944

I’m also interested. This is my reporting week however, so I really wouldn’t be able to do much. One of the pretend would be fine by me. I’ll flesh out my application asaic.