Shadows of the Past (1e Numenera) - Myth-Weavers

Shadows of the Past (1e Numenera)

Old Jun 15 '19, 9:12pm
The Cannibal Ice-Cream Lord

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Shadows of the Past (1e Numenera)

Numenera: Shadows of the Past - Forum
Numenera

The GameHey there, Weavers! Octavian_5 here again. My health has recovered enough and I have enough confidence in myself again to drag my tumor-riddled carcass back here to try to run another game! This time around, I'm running a campaign of Numenera. The first edition. I don't have anything against Discovery or Destiny, mind, but I prefer the first edition for several reasons.

Shadows of the Past opens in the Steadfast, in the eastern reaches kingdom of Malevich, where a local noble family has put out a call for adventurers willing to aid them in solving a problem they're having in exchange for generous pay. The campaign won't stay there, however; I plan on running this as a sort of "player-directed sandbox". I'll be throwing interesting places, people, and plot hooks at the party, but ultimately where the party goes and what adventures they have is up to the players; if you all decide to ignore every plot hook I throw your way and focus on personal stories, that's great! If you decide you want to explore the Frozen South or the floating cities of Urvanas, those options are always on the table.

In essence, I'm planning on this campaign being a player-driven sandbox where you explore the Ninth World and your PCs, and the story sort of writes itself from those explorations.

ThemesI like for my games to have themes, on occasion. Overarching elements that help define the plot and tone of a campaign. A phrase or a question that helps sum up what the game is really about. For Shadows of the Past, that theme is The Past is Inescapable.

The past touches everything in the Ninth World, its influence pervasive and often-unnoticed. There is nothing that the people of the Ninth World interact with that hasn't been shaped or molded, intentionally or not, by the prior worlds: the food they eat, the clothes they wear, the animals they domesticate, the land they live on, even the very stars themselves have been engineered and modified by the unknowable ancient civilizations of bygone worlds. And neither are their personal lives untouched by the past. Everyone, for good or ill, is shaped by the events in their lives. Every triumph and tragedy and transgression that occurs influences those affected by it, and the same events that transform one man into a saint may make another into an utter monster.

These are the sorts of themes I plan on exploring in this campaign: how the past, both the relatively recent and the inconceivably ancient, shapes the present and those who live in it. Certainly not everything that happens can be laid solely at history's feet, but how much influence do prior events have on current ones? Lofty themes, to be sure, and ones that might not be the focus of every adventure or story, but definitely ones that form the central elements of the campaign.

ApplicationsIf this sounds like the sort of game you'd be interested in, that's great! I'd love to have you apply! There's just a few things to keep in mind with your applications.
  • Copy the template from this thread. EDIT: I am aware that the template is rather, ah, involved when it comes to coding. After thinking about this for a bit, I've decided that use of this template is very much preferred and appreciated, but not mandatory.
  • In the Applications folder in the game forum, create a new thread with your character's name as the title. Paste the template there and fill it out. You'll be creating starting, Tier 1 characters; I may permit XP advances after the application period has closed, but assume nothing.
  • Don't forget to check out the houserules thread!
  • In terms of character concepts, particularly in regards to character morality, I do have a stipulation or two. There are Descriptors, such as Cruel or Dishonorable, that are not particularly positive. I am not banning these Descriptors. However, it should be noted that I'm using what I like to call the "Han Solo Rule": you don't have to be a noble hero who is a shining beacon of goodness and purity, but I'm going to insist you not be a psychopath who sets puppies on fire for fun. This isn't that sort of game, and I'm not looking for those sorts of characters. Han Solo is a good rule of thumb if you want to play a less-than-heroic character: you might be selfish, greedy, abrasive, and not at all a good guy, but when it comes down to it you kind of are.

I plan on accepting a maximum of five (5) players. The application period will end on July 1st, 2019.

If you'd like to improve your chances of being accepted, there's a few things you can do:
  • Have Good Spelling and Grammar: When you're writing the wordier bits of your application, please go back and double-check them for any glaring typos or other errors. I'm not asking for anything big here. Punctuation. Paragraphs. Simple stuff, you know?
  • Display Some Knowledge About the Setting: I don't expect you to have memorized everything having to do with Numenera. I don't care if this is your first game with the setting or the system. But knowing what the Steadfast is or who the Angulan Knights are would do a lot to improve your chances.
  • Be Mindful of the Themes of the Campaign: As mentioned before, the chief theme of Shadows of the Past is that The Past Is Inescapable. Keeping this theme in mind when creating your character is sure to improve your chances of getting accepted. What events in your character's past shaped who they are today? What was done to them, for them, or by them that they cannot escape, for good or for ill? Put some juicy plot hooks and personal flaws I can use into your character!
  • Be Active: I tend to assume that applicants who are interested and active during recruitment will be interested and active players. Ask questions, make revisions and tweaks to your application, engage me in discussion about who your character is.

If you have any questions regarding the application process or the campaign, feel free to ask them here in this thread.

BooksThe following books are acceptable for use:
  • Numenera 1e Core Rulebook (the one with the orange cover, the Amber Monolith, and the chap in the helmet that makes him have an unfortunate resemblance to a certain internet meme)
  • Character Options 1 (with the exception of the Travels Through Time Focus)
  • Character Options 2
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera Explorer's Guide (with the exception of the Castoff Descriptor)

Books that repeat material have been omitted for brevity, but are still valid options. For example, the Artificially-Intelligent Racial Descriptor appears in both Character Options 2 and Sir Arthour's Guide to the Numenera; both are acceptable sources.

Material from other Cypher System games, such as The Strange, may also be permissible; there are several Foci from The Strange that would fit easily into a Numenera campaign with little or no modification. Please ask before using anything from such sources, however. Likewise, third-party or homebrewed material may also be permissible with GM approval, but will be held to an exacting standard.

Material from the Numenera Discovery and Destiny rulebooks is not permitted. As GM, I'll be stealing things like lore, creatures, artifacts, and etc. from them, but for the purposes of character creation and the like we'll be sticking with 1st edition.

Player ExpectationsFor the lucky folks who get in, I'm not expecting much. I'm keenly aware that life has a nasty tendency to knee us in the yarbles (see the disclaimer box below). I'd love it if everyone could manage at least a post a day, but the chances of that happening are slim. So post when you can, try to shoot for a minimum of one or two posts a week, but I'm not going to be aggressively policing my players for activity. But if you go missing for a month or so without so much as a warning, I'm probably going to find somebody else to fill your spot.

Seriously, if you're going to be gone for a bit, just let me know. That's all I'm asking for. I'll endeavor to do the same.

DisclaimerThis disclaimer is something I'm probably going to start putting in all of my game ads from this point forwards, just so folks are informed up-front about certain things. Did it for my last one, doing it for this one.

The long and short of it is that in late July/early August of 2018, I was diagnosed with stage 4 high grade neuroendocrine cancer. It's aggressive. It's presently incurable. I am terminally-ill. I also have to take intensive chemotherapy once every three weeks, and while I'm managing well enough in terms of recovery there are still a few days where basically all I can do is exist.

In short, my health may be a possible concern.

However, despite the difficulties that my health might pose, I have no intentions of simply up and abandoning this game without warning. I may have to step back and archive it if my health does interfere to much, but I have no plans to vanish and leave you all wondering if I've finally shuffled off this mortal coil.

All that said, if my illness being a possible problem is a dealbreaker for you, I understand completely. I'd like to thank you for at least reading this far, and express my sincerest hopes that you find a game to join that will both suit your preferences and remain active for a long time to come.

ClosingIf you've read this far, thank you! I appreciate your attention. If I have your interest as well as your attention, I very much hope to see your application soon!

-Oct

Game Description:

The Ninth World. The latest in a procession of epochs, stretching back into the distant and unknowable past. The people of the Ninth World don't even know for sure if theirs is the ninth, despite calling it such. For all they know, it is the seventh. For all they know, it is the seventy-seventh. But there is one thing they know for certain: in the Ninth World, the past is inescapable. The Numenera, the treasures and nightmares that are the prior worlds' leavings, touch every aspect of life in the Ninth World. The food that people eat, the clothes they wear, the homes they live in, the monsters that threaten them: nothing escapes the influence of the unknown history of the prior worlds. Even the very drit upon which one stands has been shaped by the Numenera.

Indeed, no matter where in the Ninth World you stand, you will always find yourself standing in the shadows of the past.

Posting Status: Not Great! I'm terminally-ill with a particularly nasty variety of cancer and undergo intensive chemotherapy every three weeks! I'm doing my best, but I understand if this is a deal-breaker for me as a player or GM.

Last edited by Octavian_5; Jun 19 '19 at 9:24pm..
Will you allow Adapts To Any Environment from The Strange?

Looking over it real quick, I see nothing that strikes me as inappropriate. We'll have to ignore the flavor text, of course, and nix the starting equipment it'd normally give you. But as for the Focus itself? Adapts to Any Environment gets my seal of approval.

Also, minor update: after discussing character options with a potential player, I have opted to add an additional houserule, which uses the rules for damaging objects found in the Discovery and Destiny rules.

As things (hopefully) are slowing down, I probably will throw in an app. However, if you get a bunch of interest from people who have never played before, I would be up for taking a Reader role and being on standby if someone needs to drop out.

Another thing, as you are open to mixing and matching rules. Armor rules from 2E is so much easier to deal with than the bookkeeping of 1E.

Glad to have your interest, @TatteredKing! Can't wait to see your application.

And way ahead of you there; I might be something of a grognard, but even I'll admit that the Armor rules for Discovery/Destiny are far simpler than those in 1e Numenera. Far less bookkeeping involved, which is nice.

And just giving this a quick bump. Still accepting applications!

Congratulations Octavian_5!

Shadows of the Past has been selected as Weaving Myths' Season 3, Episode 9 Highlighted Game of the Episode!

Weaving Myths S3E9 can be listened to here: Click Me! (once posted)
To find out more about Weaving Myths, check out its thread, here: Click Me!

Best of luck with your game, and once again, congratulations!

--The Myth Weavers Staff

I've got to say, I wasn't expecting this. Thank you all so much.

Also, a note: we have one week until the application period closes! I'll be recovering from the tumor-hurting juice this weekend, so if you're interested in applying, the sooner the better!