The United Nations says Israel is imposing an "apartheid regime" on Palestianians - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

The United Nations says Israel is imposing an "apartheid regime" on Palestianians

The United Nations says Israel is imposing an "apartheid regime" on Palestianians

Source

About time someone said it, if you ask me.

EDIT: Dammit, misspelled Palestinians.

Links to the UNESCWA page and for the report itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakle View Post
UNESCWA is a committee entirely composed of Arab countries and Palestine. No bias in this report.
So you disagree?

There IS an issue of potential bias in the report as a result of its sponsoring body (though it was not written by that body, only at its behest by a former UN human rights investigator and an american political science professor). It is reasonable, based on that potential, to subject the contents of the report to additional scrutiny. It is not reasonable to discard the report entirely on that basis alone.

The title of this thread should be changed to 'UN Agency says Israel is imposing an "apartheid regime" on Palestianians'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
So you disagree?
I think that the term 'apartheid' refers to specific policies in a specific time, place and context and that is very suspicious to throw that term on wholly different policies in another time, place and context.
South African, under white minority rule, deserves its own term.
And so does Israel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
It is reasonable, based on that potential, to subject the contents of the report to additional scrutiny. It is not reasonable to discard the report entirely on that basis alone.
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia Israeli Practices towards the Palestinian People and the Question of Apartheid, Page iv
We also acknowledge the authors of and contributors to Occupation, Colonialism, Apartheid? A Reassessment of Israel’s Practices in the Occupied Palestinian Territories under International Law, whose work informed this report (see annex I) and was published in2012 as Beyond Occupation: Apartheid, Colonialism and International Law in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
This is already a bad sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
There IS an issue of potential bias in the report as a result of its sponsoring body (though it was not written by that body, only at its behest by a former UN human rights investigator and an american political science professor). It is reasonable, based on that potential, to subject the contents of the report to additional scrutiny. It is not reasonable to discard the report entirely on that basis alone.
The american political science professor, Richard Falk, is a pro-Palestine. He has been publicly critical of Israel for a number of years.

The sponsoring body had a number of staff members that worked on it. Here is a list of them from the acknowledgement page:
"This report benefited from the general guidance of Mr. Tarik Alami, Director of the Emerging and Conflict-Related Issues (ECRI) Division at ESCWA. Mr. Rabi’ Bashour(ECRI) coordinated the report, contributed to defining its scope and provided editorial comments, planning and data. Ms. Leila Choueiri provided substantive and editorial inputs. Ms. Rita Jarous (ECRI), Mr. Sami Salloum and Mr. Rafat Soboh (ECRI), provided editorial comments and information, as well as technical assistance. Mr. Damien Simonis (ESCWA, Conference Services Section) edited the report."

I do not care if the UN wants to investigate Israel's practices but use neutral 3rd parties to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Such as?
Probably someone who wouldn't want to do it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOasysMaster View Post
This is already a bad sign.
Can you explain why that is a bad sign?
To me it looks as if it may be nothing more than the acknowledgement of previous work on the same subject that came to similar conclusions, but I admit to not being familiar with those prior works.

Quote:
The american political science professor, Richard Falk, is a pro-Palestine. He has been publicly critical of Israel for a number of years.
Is he 'a pro-Palestine' as a result of bias, or as a result of extensive familiarity with the issues and a reasoned response thereto?
What qualifies him as 'a pro-Palestine'?

Quote:
I do not care if the UN wants to investigate Israel's practices but use neutral 3rd parties to do it.
'If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.'
- Desmond Tutu, survivor of South African Apartheid
'We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.'
- Elie Wiesel, Jewish survivor of the Holocaust

Find me a neutral 3rd party and I'll show you 'an anti-Palestine'.