Does anybody know a good website for making/displaying battle maps. - Myth-Weavers

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Does anybody know a good website for making/displaying battle maps.

Does anybody know a good website for making/displaying battle maps.

for DnD 5e
I like to run battles using battle maps, and I want to know if there are are any good websites for battle maps that would work with this website?

Also because I drew up a dungeon crawl map, and I wanna use it.

Help would be appreciated.

Google Drawings. The map can be updated in Drawings itself, so no need to keep on uploading a new image when the situation in the map changes. You can also set it so that the players can move their own tokens, making the explanation of movements clearer.

I use ditzie. I don't know if it's possible to get an account easily any more, though, as it's sort of a bit in limbo right now.

Other people use Roll20 but I've not a lot of experience with it myself.

GM I'm in several games with uses Roll20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyWulf View Post
Google Drawings. The map can be updated in Drawings itself, so no need to keep on uploading a new image when the situation in the map changes. You can also set it so that the players can move their own tokens, making the explanation of movements clearer.
I set up several battle maps based on this recommendation by @TheGreyWulf and it works beautifully! The fact that players can move their own tokens in real time also helps to avoid issues caused by DM posting lag in combat situations, which can cause all kinds of headaches.

Just set the Sharing option on the drawing to Anyone with the link can edit and your battles become a lot more self-regulating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyWulf View Post
Noice

One of my DMs uses Maptool (Def not recommended, the dice roller is terrible, there was about half a campaign where I never rolled higher than an 11.)
My other DM uses "Skirmish! VT" its a downloadable tabletop, good dice roller, but its still in its beta, but it works very well. They also have a handy tutorial section for importing maps and custom tokens.

This looks as though it could be one to keep an eye on. Probably slightly off-topic since it's not even at Beta stage yet (KS is currently running through August 7th): TaleSpire - PCGamer Article

Use Microsoft Excel (or Google docs Sheets) to make the maps and print to pdf or jpg. Then upload to a file share site like Flickr and wala.

roll20 comes with several pre stocked, free map icons and tokens. It is easy to import images you have and use them.

I used Dundjinni for a long time, and have a huge collection of tiles, walls, and generic stuff. I don't think it is in existence any more, but there was a huge community of free user created stuff for it that still may be out there and useable. I THINK, most of those have made it into roll20.