Supernal - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Supernal

Old Jul 11 '19, 5:14am
Young Adult Dragon

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Supernal

Supernal - Forum
Mage

In Mage the Ascension, you play a normal person who can use and cast spells. Mage the Ascension is often a game of magic vs morality. You were a sleeper and awakened your magick.

The Supernal Chronicle is a weird Tradition chronicle, focusing on exploring mysteries, dealing with the strangeness of Magick, Chantries intrigue and the occasional obstacles in your path to discover the truth.

The Tradition main goal is for all humanity to reach ascension. Global Ascension won't be our main goal or objective but try to keep it in mind, when making your character.

Mage characters are proactive, hooks will be given but if your character is the kind that needs constant guidance, you might need to revise your concept.

Our chronicle begins in Las Vegas, where your masters part of the same cabal are concerned with a stolen wonder from a young apprentice. Retrieving the wonder is your main goal.

Las Vegas will be your main base of operation, but mages aren't limited by location and there will be plenty of places to explore on Earth and Otherworlds.

Metaplot essentials: (Everything else would be as assumed by M20 default)

-The old council's stronghold collapsed in Horizon.
-The New Horizon Council has taken over, taking the traditions into the new Millenium.

The Nine traditions, some have taken new names to reflect their changes in attitude (see Mage 20, p. 145-146 for more details on these metaplot changes). This metaplot change just makes the Traditions more open in general to more concepts.

Character Creation

Follow the guidelines in M20 for creating your Tradition Mage. You can use merits, flaws, archetypes from the sources below.

Sources available:

Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition
How do you do that? (M20 edition)
Book of Secrets (M20 Edition)
Gods & Monsters (M20 Edition)

Game Description:

Supernal is a mage the ascension 20th-anniversary chronicle.

Last edited by All; Jul 11 '19 at 5:15am..
Quote:
Originally Posted by All View Post
The core book is big but would recommend to read it at least once. There are many things that won't make sense unless you read it.
I had hoped for a little more guidance and a little less reading. In the end reading the full book would give a lot more knowledge than a beginning mage should have. I wouldn't mind sharing the learning process with the character if the game, the setting and you allow (well and appreciate). It might be a little work and patience required by you and the other players, so I would understand if you are not up to it.
Quote:

As for your focus, the first step is to establish what you believe in. It is the most important step, as everything comes from there. Some mages believe that they have been abducted by aliens, some mages believe that humanity are gods themselves, some mages believe in the heart of the cards, etc...
Mmh... I think he'd believe the control over magic comes from himself, grown with proper physical and mental training, meditation, yoga, martial arts, etc.
Is that something to work with?
Quote:
When you know what your character is and what he believes in, it becomes easier to put him in one of the Nine Traditions and go from there.
Sure, if you are willing to put some time and thought in it for guidance I would appreciate that. If the above belief doesn't match anything, which questions should I answer to get to something workable?

Regarding the spheres (Correspondence, Mind and Time), would such a combination make sense? What others should I consider for combinations? With an arete of 2 I'd need at least a fourth to spend all seven dots, which one? Anyway, we can delay these questions to after defining the belief system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarin View Post

Mmh... I think he'd believe the control over magic comes from himself, grown with proper physical and mental training, meditation, yoga, martial arts, etc.
Is that something to work with?
Look at the The Akashic Brotherhood probably then.

It works, but like Arcane Desperado mentioned, if you plan to go martial arts vibe, training etc...the Akashic Brotherhood (modern name Akashayana) is probably what you want.

As for spheres combination, yeah there are effects that combine with all three but again, it depends on your objective.

Mind illusions, in general, are internal meaning nobody besides the victims can experience the illusion.
Force illusions (using Prime) create physical illusions that can be seen by everyone in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All View Post
It works, but like Arcane Desperado mentioned, if you plan to go martial arts vibe, training etc...the Akashic Brotherhood (modern name Akashayana) is probably what you want.
I didn't plan full Buddhist, eastern philosophy, "Bruce Lee" - but that is indeed something to think about.

Quote:
As for spheres combination, yeah there are effects that combine with all three but again, it depends on your objective.
I have got no real objective regarding my magic progression, as I have no idea what routes I could take. If the combination isn't a "poor" choice I'll probably start with it. Maybe all at two dots and a seventh dot in Matter.
Quote:
Mind illusions, in general, are internal meaning nobody besides the victims can experience the illusion.
Force illusions (using Prime) create physical illusions that can be seen by everyone in the area.
Yeah, I guess I'll drop physical illusions.

The main question remains, would you enjoy a newbie that needs (and demands) in game training? I will probably fail to use magic "correctly" on more than one occasion, I might need a reminder on what's possible or impossible to do, etc. I guess I am a fast learner and I will read the book eventually (I'll take homework reading assignments if you want ).

P.S. with all the Do extra stuff, maybe Akashic Brotherhood is not the best newbie choice...? The eight limbs for example. When do they get applied? They seem to at least partially replace other abilities? Actually, Do and Martial Arts are somehow similar - although it's clear that the starting Do is rather low and it's hence quite likely that a character does have Martial Arts as well and potentially higher.

The 'problem' with Mage is that you can (ultimately) do anything. Because there are no limits, deciding on a concept can be difficult.

To make it a bit easier, decide what you'd like to do with magic, or decide on a goal for your character. Basically, start at the end, and work backwards.

If we stick with your magician, what are his end goals? Is it simply to scam unwary punters out of their hard-earned, or does he have loftier ideas? Does he desire to be the greatest showman in the world? Would he continue down the path of entertainer or use his powers for other reasons?

(Of the three spheres you listed, Correspondence and Time are amongst the most difficult for a new player to understand, not to mention that they're best used in conjunction with other spheres.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarin View Post
P.S. with all the Do extra stuff, maybe Akashic Brotherhood is not the best newbie choice...? The eight limbs for example. When do they get applied? They seem to at least partially replace other abilities? Actually, Do and Martial Arts are somehow similar - although it's clear that the starting Do is rather low and it's hence quite likely that a character does have Martial Arts as well and potentially higher.
Don't fall in the trap to think that all people in a tradition do the same thing. It is mostly about what they share in common in their beliefs.

Another point, there isn't any easy or simple tradition. But well if you want a classical wizard or a Harry Potter, you might want to consider the Order of Hermes.

You never have to do anything. Do is there but not all Akashayana have even ranks in Martial arts or even bother with Do. The ideology is more important to the traditions than what the mage does.

A monk would be a typical Akashayana, but nothing stops an Akashayana from being an Attorney or a manga artist for example.

Do and The eight limbs are explained in the book later on p.426 to 428.

As @grapefruit mentioned, there aren't any limits or any right or wrong path to take, which I know can be difficult to grasp.

Quote:
Do and The eight limbs are explained in the book later on p.426 to 428.
Rereading reveals that it says
Quote:
... must have at least two dots in limb-related Abilities other than Dharmamukti for every dot in Do
So, those are the associated abilities listed for each of the limbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapefruit View Post
The 'problem' with Mage is that you can (ultimately) do anything. Because there are no limits, deciding on a concept can be difficult.
Yeah, I know that from Ars Magica. Somehow, maybe just through practice, I found the 15 arts easier to grasp that the spheres and how they combine.

Quote:
To make it a bit easier, decide what you'd like to do with magic, or decide on a goal for your character. Basically, start at the end, and work backwards.

If we stick with your magician, what are his end goals? Is it simply to scam unwary punters out of their hard-earned, or does he have loftier ideas? Does he desire to be the greatest showman in the world? Would he continue down the path of entertainer or use his powers for other reasons?
I should think about that probably. Currently I have no goals in mind. He is certainly not the best entertainer, las vegas has seen (social probably tertiary). Maybe it is the awakening that will set forth a purpose, right now it could be simply exploring what his discovery of real magic means for him.
Quote:
(Of the three spheres you listed, Correspondence and Time are amongst the most difficult for a new player to understand, not to mention that they're best used in conjunction with other spheres.)
Let me check my intuition:
- Picking a pocket by reaching into my own would be correspondence and matter?
- A voodoo puppet would be correspondence and life?
- teleportation seems to be just correspondence?
- would it be possible to set e.g. a book in a library on fire by igniting a book at hand with only correspondence? Note that I mean non-magical ignition, magical would probably add forces to the equation.
- Combining correspondence and time should allow syncing two events, so that e.g. the two detonators of a bomb get defused in exactly the same instant?