Can't decide on a game system! - Myth-Weavers

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Can't decide on a game system!

Can't decide on a game system!

So in the near future I will be running an IRL game for my friends.

The premise is that the PCs are playing themselves in... "ANOTHER WORLD"
This other world is a fairly generic high-fantasy setting.

Yes I hate the trope as well but it's kinda an interesting thing to see them deal with these issues as their
(out-of-shape non-paragon frankly wimpy but heck so am I) selves.

The issue I'm having is that I don't know what kind of system to use here.
I initially started this off as a one-shot using the WOD system but I found I just didn't like it for what kind of experience
I want to facilitate with this setting.
The combat system was too light and it felt kinda severe with how things were skills
didnt fit as great and the humanity system I just don't need.

I have decided I don't want a class system of any kind and I also want a good progression system.
Progression being I can take them from Zero to hero without being restricted.
I've already been looking through a bunch of different game systems. GURPS, BESM, M&M, FATE.
Of the majority of these I've kinda taken a liking to GURPS and BESM.

But I have issues with both.
Anyways I'm on my tablet in a fast food joint atm so I'll wrap this up.

TLDR: Need a system with good progression but no class system where I can take the crew from zero to hero.

No problem, the MW dealer in obscure systems is here! I just need you to answer a question before a recommendation!

When you say "generic high fantasy", what do you mean?

Do you want dragons, elves and hobbits, the whole D&D-inspired set-up? Or do you mean something like the world of Conan?

How about RuneQuest? Granted the system is based around the Glorantha setting, but you could adapt the technical systems to suit (although Glorantha is fantastical enough).

Of the games that you've mentioned taking a liking to, what are the things about them that you liked, and what are the things about them that you didn't like? That might give us some more insight into what you're looking for.

Just going by those two games, it seems like you're interested in point-buy games with a good deal of granularity. other games along those lines are HERO and EABA.

One thing that I've had some success with vis a vis players playing themselves is to just go ahead and use the game's method of generating attributes, and picking skills, and whatever, rather than trying to exactly emulate the abilities of the player in question.

So... when playing ourselves in D&D, we still just rolled our ability scores. When playing ourselves in GURPS, we used the normal point-buy rules, and so on. That way, if Jeb thinks he has an 18 DEX or INT, but everyone else thinks JEB DEX or INT is 12, at best, you can just point at the rules and say, "Your INT is what you rolled." (or spent points on, or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Stumpy View Post
How about RuneQuest? Granted the system is based around the Glorantha setting, but you could adapt the technical systems to suit (although Glorantha is fantastical enough).
That’s a good thought, and while most (not all) editions of RuneQuest itself are Glorantha, there’s RuneQuest-adjacent Basic Roleplaying-based stuff that isn’t (such as Mythras).

You can hack classic Call of Cthulhu (no idea if it’s still this way in 7e) easily to create modern characters. Basically, everyone gets five appropriate professional skills for their EDU skills, and their hobbies are their INT skills. Base minimums for all skills on stats.

I was going to suggest WOIN (specifically, NOW for character creation, and OLD for the fantasy world). But WOIN maybe wouldn’t be great for generating characters that are actually real people - the careers might need some tweaking.

Otherwise, it would be tailor-made for this concept. I have an idea for a WOIN campaign that I may GM at some point that’s broadly similar (generate contemporary Earth characters with NOW, have them transported to a slightly “Sword and Planet” science-fantasy-ish world using NEW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
No problem, the MW dealer in obscure systems is here! I just need you to answer a question before a recommendation!

When you say "generic high fantasy", what do you mean?

Do you want dragons, elves and hobbits, the whole D&D-inspired set-up? Or do you mean something like the world of Conan?
The whole shebang in terms of dwarves elves hobbits and dragons and stuff.
I was planning on making it so that each of the fantastical races shared similar cultures to certain countries here on Earth.
ie Victorian French elves.
But beyond that it would just pretty much be the basic D&D settings people are usually fond of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Stumpy View Post
Will add it to the list to check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Silverbane View Post
Of the games that you've mentioned taking a liking to, what are the things about them that you liked, and what are the things about them that you didn't like? That might give us some more insight into what you're looking for.

Just going by those two games, it seems like you're interested in point-buy games with a good deal of granularity. other games along those lines are HERO and EABA.

One thing that I've had some success with vis a vis players playing themselves is to just go ahead and use the game's method of generating attributes, and picking skills, and whatever, rather than trying to exactly emulate the abilities of the player in question.

So... when playing ourselves in D&D, we still just rolled our ability scores. When playing ourselves in GURPS, we used the normal point-buy rules, and so on. That way, if Jeb thinks he has an 18 DEX or INT, but everyone else thinks JEB DEX or INT is 12, at best, you can just point at the rules and say, "Your INT is what you rolled." (or spent points on, or whatever.
I like them for different reasons.
BESM feels a bit easier to get into. It's also a system at least one other player is really familiar with.
My problems with it is it feels too streamlined? Or rather there isn't enough support for it.
Everything has to be made 100% by me because they only have the one book to help out with that I'm pretty meh about it.
I dunno I haven't played it in a few years but I remember being somewhat frustrated with how certain power systems were handled. It also feels like if I tried to start anything under high powered it wouldn't be fun for the players.
It is after all a system meant to be "anime"

GURPS has some great things to it. The amount of attention to detail is amazing. The systems are well described and there is plenty to pick and choose from.
Bad side is there are a bit too many splat books to go hunting through
(Don't think that counts as a really bad thing for me just my players.)
My other issue with the system is that the combat seems to be heavily towards gritty low-fantasy.
Which is fine starting off but I intend to take my players to the area of epic heroes.
So it doesn't fit the 0 to hero vibe I want.
And while I do like the bell-curve system for the dice rolls. My players are mostly D&D dweebs and as is it's hard enough to show them how to do basic addition in that. I don't know if they can count backwards.

I have heard of HERO but can't seem to find anything that would point me in the right direction to get started
and I have briefly heard whispers of End All Be All but can't find anything besides supplements when I look.

Sorry for taking a bit to get back to you I have been consistently back and forth from my work for the past month so I am scrambling for time to work on this campaign and do my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammogromin View Post
The whole shebang in terms of dwarves elves hobbits and dragons and stuff.
I was planning on making it so that each of the fantastical races shared similar cultures to certain countries here on Earth.
ie Victorian French elves.
But beyond that it would just pretty much be the basic D&D settings people are usually fond of.
Oops, sorry, I didn't notice you have replied!

OK, the basic solution would be to look at Mythras, maybe with some of the Classic Fantasy supplements, then.
Pros:
-It can easily support elves, dwarves and the like - it's doing it already.
-No classes and the like.
-It can easily model "inept modern" characters, too. Just have everyone picking "civilised" and bar people who aren't in a dangerous profession from learning any combat style (though you may allow the "unarmed" skill, or not). OTOH, modern characters should have decent Size, which actually helps you in Mythras!
-Luck points should prevent them from dying if they try to fight before acquiring and perfecting their own Combat Styles.
-Given enough time and lessons, anyone can learn anything. (Some kinds of magic might be restricted - there are several kinds of magic in the corebook - but by default getting access to Folk Magic could be allowed to everyone).

Cons:
-Combat is bloody and brutal for those that lose. As stated above, PCs have a buffer, and this is a good excuse to have their characters captured and possibly impressed into service...so it's not that much of a con.
-You might want to add a rule from another version of BRP allowing them to learn by receiving lessons,