Can't decide on a game system! - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Can't decide on a game system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammogromin View Post
The whole shebang in terms of dwarves elves hobbits and dragons and stuff.
I was planning on making it so that each of the fantastical races shared similar cultures to certain countries here on Earth.
ie Victorian French elves.
But beyond that it would just pretty much be the basic D&D settings people are usually fond of.
Oops, sorry, I didn't notice you have replied!

OK, the basic solution would be to look at Mythras. You might want to add some of the Classic Fantasy supplements for monster stats and the like, too, or not.
(I wouldn't want to use their magic system, frankly, and they're meant to emulate adventurers having a class...which I see no need for in a skills-based system. Why would I want to downgrade?)

Pros:
-It can easily support elves, dwarves and dragons.
-No classes and the like.
-It can easily model "inept modern" characters, too. Just have everyone picking "civilised" and bar people who aren't in a dangerous profession from learning any combat style (though you may allow the "unarmed" skill, or not). OTOH, modern characters should have decent Size, which actually helps you in Mythras, and possibly above-average Charisma!
-Luck points should prevent them from dying if they try to fight before acquiring and perfecting their own Combat Styles.
-Given enough time and lessons, anyone can learn anything. (Some kinds of magic might be restricted - there are several kinds of magic in the corebook - but by default getting access to Folk Magic could be allowed to everyone).
-Combat is way more tactical and fun than WoD!

Cons:
-Combat is bloody and brutal for those that lose. As stated above, PCs have a buffer, and this is a good excuse to have their characters captured and possibly impressed into service...so it's not that much of a con.
-You might want to add a rule from another version of BRP allowing them to learn by receiving lessons in addition to normal experience.
Now, whether you should do that depends on how long your campaign is going to be. But given that the increase from an "advancement check" is 1-5% bonus to your skill, it might take them a while to learn their new skills and become "proper" adventurers!

So, that's my opinion. Whatever you decide, have fun!

Quote:
I have heard of HERO but can't seem to find anything that would point me in the right direction to get started and I have briefly heard whispers of End All Be All but can't find anything besides supplements when I look.
You can get the core books from the Hero Games site. They’re pricy, but Fantasy Hero (standalone version for, well, fantasy) is only $10, and it would probably be fairly easy to create “modern” characters for that, since the basic rule is, if it isn’t worth anything, it doesn’t cost any points. It doesn’t matter how much they know about UNIX - it’s not applicable, so no points go towards it.

However, I’m not sure that I’d recommend HERO, especially if you already know GURPS. It has a very steep learning curve, and it’s not ideal for Zero to Hero because it’s oriented towards larger-than-life characters. A normal person is very normal in HERO, and it would take them a long time to become the kind of swashbuckling Conan/Fafhrd/Grey Mouser types for whom Fantasy Hero caters best.

(Mind you, you’d notice the progress, starting from such a low base, and because the system was designed originally for superheroes and adapted for other genres, there is no real upper limit to how epic characters could eventually become. Eventually.)

HERO would be a good system for one of those variants on this theme where the PCs are transformed into people of heroic stature in the fantasy world. But if you used it for your concept, I think you’d need players who would be prepared to find pleasure in approaching this situation with the attitude that one might really take if one’s flabby systems-analyst (or whatever) self suddenly found oneself in a D&D-esque fantasy world: “Ohmygodohmygodohmygod, I’m going to die unless I’m incredibly lucky.”

If you do go the Mythras/other BRP-based route (and it has a lot to recommend it), and you want stuff on which to draw for a more grandiose epic feel, Pendragon is in many respects just BRP with all the numbers divided by 5, so it’s very easy to transfer stuff. Do you feel that your friends, in a crisis, might turn out to have heroic passions that could motivate them to achieve extraordinary things? Go Pendragon, and instead of Mythras’ relatively moderate Passion effects, have a relevant Passion roll add +50% to a skill.

One BRP-friendly thing you could do is give the PCs more magic than most people for some reason connected with them being transported to another world. One way in which RuneQuest-derived systems are different from a lot of fantasy systems is that they suit settings where everyone is capable of magic, and magic is useful for everyone (definitely including warriors). Your average farmer knows Bladesharp for use on his plough. All PCs could have gigantic POW, too, if you define it as capacity for magic and eliminate any element of drive or willpower. This could compensate for being really, really bad at anything normally required to survive in a very unforgiving system.

The Design Mechanism has a free not-all-options version of Mythras for people to look at, if you’d like to explore it before buying.

I hacked Pathfinder into a classless XP buy version like gurps. So there's a progression that is limited by HD as a cap for what you can access, but everything is XP buy in various categories. Using the feats and skills of the d20 PF/3.5 system. If that is something you might be interested in you can PM me and we can discuss it.

Quote:
If you do go the Mythras/other BRP-based route (and it has a lot to recommend it), and you want stuff on which to draw for a more grandiose epic feel, Pendragon is in many respects just BRP with all the numbers divided by 5, so it’s very easy to transfer stuff. Do you feel that your friends, in a crisis, might turn out to have heroic passions that could motivate them to achieve extraordinary things? Go Pendragon, and instead of Mythras’ relatively moderate Passion effects, have a relevant Passion roll add +50% to a skill.
Ok then I guess I will look at Pendragon as well.

Sorry I'm kinda just straight up distancing myself from pathfinder and D&D with this. it is too close to home and something I bother with too damned much.

Quote:
Sorry I'm kinda just straight up distancing myself from pathfinder and D&D with this. it is too close to home and something I bother with too damned much.
I agree completely. IME, when presenting a radically different paradigm, it helps if the game system doesn't trigger
"Kick in the door! Loot the place!"
the old reactions in players!
...and the ones the change helps most are actually the players themselves, although some of them are also the most likely to complain.

Quote:
Ok then I guess I will look at Pendragon as well.
Honestly, pretty much anything in the BRP family works well with pretty much anything else. You have to tweak specific points when you transfer things, but the framework is so robust that it’s easy to do. I’ve never owned any version of the official generic Basic Role-Playing, but I used to use stuff from amalgamating RuneQuest with Call of Cthulhu over and over again as a generic system for all sorts of settings.

Quote:
Sure thing bud. Good luck.

Someone recently told me I should try Anima. I have the books but haven't looked at them in quite a few years.
As far as I remember it had a convoluted damage chart and a class/ level based system. But I was told in good confidence I should consider it.
Not too familiar with the system TBH. The few times I played it were like drop in the bucket games that confused everyone when it came time to roll combat.