Game System - Power Growth - Myth-Weavers

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Game System - Power Growth

Game System - Power Growth

I have a idea floating around in my head that I would possibly like to make into an actual adventure. The problem is I don't think the game systems I am familiar with would be the best choice.

The Game: The story would take place is near modern times in a world that resembles, or possibly even mirrors, our own. Technology is at about the level it was in the early 1990s, particularly in regards to computers and cell phones. They exist but are not yet common place in homes of the public.

The beginning has a tight-knit group of friends that are either still in high school or recent graduates, or a mix thereof. You start out in a small-ish town with the nearest large city being nearly fifty miles away. An apocalyptic event begins to unfold and the players are forced to simply survive at first. At this point they are normal humans but as the game progresses they would begin to develop powers. Simple ones at first, but eventually they grow in power to rival even gods. There is story based reasons for all of this but I don't really want to go into specifics.

The specifics:Power growth- Able to go from normal human to god-like or demigod-like capabilities. I am not necessarily looking for them to be all-powerful, perhaps more like a pantheon where each has their own niche.
Modern - Or close to it. I would prefer that it mirror real life pretty closely.
Leadership - I would like players to have some ability to form organizations, guilds, clans, rebellions, whatever you want to call them. This does not need to be extensive but I would like it to be available to them if it is an interest.

What I am familiar with: Pathfinder, D&D 3.5e and 5e.

What I have at least looked at: I played one session of Godbound. I have also created a single character for Mutant and Masterminds (whatever the current edition is I think) that didn't go anywhere.

Out of these I think Mutant and Masterminds might work best but I was hoping to see if anyone had recommendations on systems to look into. Godbound, I think the level of power might be too abrupt of a shift.