Old Aug 11 '19, 6:15pm
Young Adult Dragon

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
[Eberron] Thronehold at Dusk: A Tale of the Shadow War

Thronehold at Dusk: A Tale of the Shadow War - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

Thronehold at Dusk
~ A Tale of the Shadow War ~

The island of Thronehold was once the capital of the continent-sized empire of Galifar. In 996 YK (almost two years ago), it was also there that a peace treaty was signed, officially ending a century of civil war that brought said empire to its knees, splintering it into a dozen countries.

Now the island is a supposedly neutral ground. The old imperial citadel serves as the seat of an international Tribunal, tasked to bring war criminals to justice. In theory, everyone praises the importance of their work. In facts, political intrigues and partisan positions tend to thwart it more often than not.

Furthermore, the situation of the island combined with a hundred years of power vacuum transformed the port town under the castle into a haven for criminals of all kinds and a central hub for all sorts of illegal traffics. The law has been restored, but old habits die hard — especially in a place where control has now to be shared among four nations plus a non-governmental militia, dividing the place between as much different sectors where different rules apply.

Bottom line, Thronehold is a shady swamp where crooks, gangsters and spies from all horizons spawn with one another. As a team of "Dark Lions" –members of the Twilight Brigade, Karrnath's counter-intelligence agency–,
you are about to be assigned the investigation upon the death of a high-rank Karrnathi military officer, Field-Marshal Alarich Vanalan… and, quite likely, to discover there's always room for things to get worse than you thought. Welcome in a game of intrigue, mystery and moral quandaries. Welcome in the Lion's den.

___

Hello everyone. I'm looking for 4 to 5, level-3 PC. As noted above, you'll be playing agents of Karrnath stationed in Thronehold. You'll find more information on the character creation page.

The ideally expected posting rate is 3+ per week. What I have in mind is a relatively short adventure – long enough to extend over some months at forum pace, but contained in order to minimize risks to see it fall apart before reaching a satisfying end.

The focus of the story, as also hinted above, will be on fantasy noir: investigation, social interactions, and characters possibly facing different conundrums. There should still be a few occasions for some (quick and brutal) fisticuff against enemy agents, nonetheless, don't worry; but, fair warning, hack 'n' slash with random monsters won't be the bulk of it.

An interest for the Eberron setting is kinda mandatory, but an intimate knowledge and a long frequentation of it are not. Fans and devotees are most welcome, but newcomers certainly won't be turned down on principle. If somehow you didn't hear of Eberron before, you may start by reading this thread for a quick, 10-points presentation, while this other one will provide an overview of Karrnath, the characters' homeland, and this one a survey of intelligence agencies throughout Khorvaire. I'll be available to discuss things and, if need be, help by providing elements to make a concept fit.

Deadline for applications is by the end of this month, 08/31 at 23:59 PT. Please present yourself at the nearest recruitment office for a life made of dull hours of surveillance and filling of the necessary paperworks that can nonetheless get you killed... sorry, I mean, a life of excitment at the service of your country.

Game Description:

The island of Thronehold was once the capital of the continent-sized empire of Galifar. In 996 YK (almost two years ago), it was also there that a peace treaty was signed, officially ending a century of civil war that brought said empire to its knees, splintering it into a dozen countries.

Now the island is a supposedly neutral ground. The old imperial citadel serves as the seat of an international Tribunal, tasked to bring war criminals to justice. In theory, everyone praises the importance of their work. In facts, political intrigues and partisan positions tend to thwart it more often than not.

Furthermore, the situation of the island combined with a hundred years of power vacuum transformed the port town under the castle into a haven for criminals of all kinds and a central hub for all sorts of illegal traffics. The law has been restored, but old habits die hard — especially in a place where control has now to be shared among four nations plus a non-governmental militia, dividing the place between as much different sectors where different rules apply.

Bottom line, Thronehold is a shady swamp where crooks, gangsters and spies from all horizons spawn with one another. As a team of "Dark Lions" —members of the Twilight Brigade, Karrnath's counter-intelligence agency— is about to be assigned the investigation upon the death of a high-rank Karrnathi military officer, they will discover there's always room for things to get worse. Welcome in a game of intrigue, mystery and moral quandaries. Welcome in the Lion's den.

Last edited by Etrigan; Aug 11 '19 at 6:32pm..
I'm totally in Etrigan.

Personal
Experience with D&D: few decades
Experience with Eberron: very minimal, but love reading and learning so I'll catch up

Character
Theda, female human cleric of Dol Dorn, war domain
She is an imposing, often angry looking person. She is an overt agent of Karrnath and takes her job very seriously. I am thinking she would be the front external face of the group drawing most of the attention away from the stealthier covert members. She has chosen to become a secret agent because Theda has a separate investigation of her own. Years earlier, her older sister traveled to Thronehold and went missing shortly thereafter. Theda's priority is her duty as a Dark Lion. But someday, she will finally track down what happened to her sister and take vengeance if needed.

Leaving a note here to remind myself to apply - I love Eberron and intrigue games are one of its best features. And coming up with a covert agent for Karrnath of all places is an intriguing challenge. All the James Bond types live in Breland, as I recall.

Would it be okay for a complete newbie to join?
The premise just sounds so cool.
I'll probably play a Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard 2.
I'll write a propper application when I get home.

PS: I'm not a native english speaker, so please, bear with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triago View Post
Would it be okay for a complete newbie to join?
Well maybe start by introducing yourself in the "Introduction" part of the site, it will be appreciated as a general rule. But other than that, no problem for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triago View Post
PS: I'm not a native english speaker, so please, bear with me.
Me neither. Most probably I let some faults and odd formulation slip here and there... so I won't judge others for that, as long as it doesn't reach the point where the excess of typos becomes a difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrigan View Post
Well maybe start by introducing yourself in the "Introduction" part of the site, it will be appreciated as a general rule. But other than that, no problem for me.
Already did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrigan View Post
Me neither. Most probably I let some faults and odd formulation slip here and there... so I won't judge others for that, as long as it doesn't reach the point where the excess of typos becomes a difficulty.
Perfect.