In which you play as teen-aged girls with PTSD - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

In which you play as teen-aged girls with PTSD

Old Aug 14 '19, 1:46pm
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
In which you play as teen-aged girls with PTSD

He Who Laughs Last Laughs Best - Forum
Pathfinder

Magical girls: cute and powerful, pretty and adventurous, innocent and bewitching: being something like that is the dream of every girl, right?

But what if we took away the cuteness and the innocence. What if there was an oppressive, fascist regime, and the magical girls, with their smiles and their heroics, acted as a distraction, as government-approved rolemodels for the masses. What if this regime then found itself at war with unspeakable horrors from another dimensions, and the magical girls were the only ones capable of turning the tides in the favor of humanity. And what if this experience at war left the girls scarred for life.

This is, in EXTREME synthesis, the premise of Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka, a manga I've been reading recently, and I mean, you know me, I just HAD to make a Pathfinder game (warning: here be the Spheres system!) about it.

The four party members would be girls on their last year of high school. Three years prior they were magical girls drafted by the government in a war against eldritch horrors from beyond and, suffices to say, the experience has left them severely scarred: their PTSD would actually be a game mechanic here, an obstacle to overcome every day as they attempt to go on with their lives. The group that left for the war consisted of eleven girls: four died, three went their separate ways after the war, and then there's the four players. Who knows, maybe one of the four is still working with the government, acting as a smiling front for a project to train and indoctrinate new magical girls, because the chaos of the war shocked her so much that she's come to see the order promised by fascism as a preferable alternative. Perhaps one of them is the school's idol, desperately trying to dive into her social life so as to pretend that the past never happened. Perhaps one of them is still training to further hone her powers, using them to engage in full-fledged vigilantism. Either way, "what is you character's coping mechanism?" would be the main question you'd need to answer during creation.

From there, it's about balancing your pain when grappling with your past, your efforts in living your present, and your hopes for the future: as rising criminality, a wave of terrorist attacks and a mysterious conspiracy threaten your country, you have to juggle your desire to live a normal life, your need to complete your studies so as to prepare your future, and the instinct that pushesyou to using your powers to save people, which by now is second nature to you. It's important to note that this is a level FIFTEEN gestalt game, so the power level is through the roof: the idea is that your characters are the most powerful beings in the setting and I mean, if they weren't they wouldn't have survived the war. So yeah, all these criminals and terrorists and whatever are basically insects before you, and so are the police, the army and the other forces of law... And this add yet another layer of inner conflict: are you really doing what you're doing just out of selflessness and heroism? Or are you doing it for the sake of playing god, of enjoying the thrill of deciding who gets to live and who gets to die?

Tl;dr: it's a campaign in which you play as battle-scarred magical girls who live in a thinly-disguised dictatorship. You fight enemies who're far weaker than you: the true enemy is within.

The game's forum is still under construction, and plenty of flavor info about the world and the main NPCs are still missing: that said, the crucial info you absolutely need in order to make a character are already there, so feel free to drop by, read the stuff available, come up with character ideas, and ask whatever questions you might have. Application process will last for a minimum of 2 weeks, possibly more since it's summer.

Also don't mind SageBahamut, he's there for a side project that won't interact with the main game in any way, and he's not going to be one of the four party members.

Game Description:

It was said that Magical Girls defeated the very last boss whose mission was to wipe out humanity. But... the truth is there are no real endings in this world. Even after that boss was defeated, true peace never returned. We fight on a new battlefield of international crime, indiscriminate terrorism, civil wars, conflict... The Magical Girls' battle isn't over. It never ends.

My lung condition is getting worse. I'll try my hardest to not die on you guys, but at this point I make no promises. For all it's worth, when making posts and interacting with people I'll endeavor to act normally, I'll thank you to do the same.

Last edited by Tears of Tomorrow; Aug 14 '19 at 2:36pm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARPREDATOR25 View Post
you had me at magical girl spec ops asuka
Glad to have someone on board who's actually read the manga. This is not going to be a 100% faithful adaptation, but the key points are going to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
Well, that's 11 for 3 spots left, so...
That's four spot left. SageBahamut is not going to be part of the main party of four, he's there for his own separate thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
Oh. I'll try to think of something then, probably a Triple-Goddess Hedgewitch if that fits?
Everything fits as long as it abides by the character creation rules, which are explained with plenty of details in their own topic within the game's forum. Flavor-wise, everything can be made to work with minimal tweaks to one's fluff.

Oh goodness, I've never seen a game that I wanted to be in more. . . theme-wise, at least, I'm not so hot on spheres. Kind of crazy that only a day late and already so full!

Folks, this is a gaming site, not a place to discuss things like political correctness, sexism, or other things that would violate the Worldly Talk rule. Apply or move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui_ View Post
Oh goodness, I've never seen a game that I wanted to be in more. . . theme-wise, at least, I'm not so hot on spheres. Kind of crazy that only a day late and already so full!
Yeah, we got this big burst of attention from day one, but don't let that discourage you. If you need help with the spheres system I can certainly provide it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tears of Tomorrow View Post
Yeah, we got this big burst of attention from day one, but don't let that discourage you. If you need help with the spheres system I can certainly provide it!
That's very kind of you! <3 I'll start pouring through all the creation/setting material and work on it this afternoon