Call of Cthulhu - The Haunting (an all time classic!) - Myth-Weavers

Call of Cthulhu - The Haunting (an all time classic!)

Old May 5 '19, 5:38am
Wyrm

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Call of Cthulhu - The Haunting (an all time classic!)

The Haunting - Forum
Call of Cthulhu

"I felt myself on the edge of the world; peering over the rim into a fathomless chaos of eternal night."
H.P. Lovecraft

The Hook
Boston, March 1920

A mild winter followed by a warm start to spring has turned the city of Boston into a playground for the blue-blooded New Englanders along Beacon Hill, thankful for a respite from the usually freezing temperatures in the early months of the year and eager to display their New Year fineries on the social circuit.

For the less privileged, it is a case of making the most of the new America, higher wages and the dawn of the material age. No longer is the automobile a trapping of the elite; businesses are flourishing and life is good as the country turns inwards and mends itself.

For one Baxter L. Marsh, none of this is of any concern. He has too many problems of his own to enjoy the zeitgeist – most notably the tragedy at 20 Sheafe Street.

Baxter cannot afford to leave the place empty for long, but recent events at the house have made it difficult to attract new tenants. It is this that has led him ask some friends for help, and the reason why you now find yourself in Baxter’s office in Summer Street on a windswept yet pleasant spring morning.

Premise
This is a running of the classic Call of Cthulhu scenario, The Haunting. It’s probably the most played CoC adventure of all time, having appeared in every edition of the rulebook until the most recent 7th edition came out. If all goes well there is the potential to continue beyond this adventure and perhaps develop it into a fully-fledged campaign.

Tone
The game will have a traditional Lovecraftian tone – intellectual horror and cosmic dread. Your investigators are ordinary people who become drawn into a futile struggling against cosmic horrors. Death and insanity are not only constant threats, they are almost inevitable. The question is not so much will you survive, but how long?

Essential Info
Game system: Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition (free Quick-start rules are available here)
Setting: Boston, 1920
Number of Investigators: 3

Character Creation
The only change to the rules as set out in Chapter 3 of the rulebook (or page 6 of the Quick-Start) is as follows:

Generating character attributes
  1. Roll 3d6 and multiply the total by 5. Repeat this four times and allocate the five scores as desired between STR, CON, DEX, APP and POW.
  2. Roll 2d6+6 and multiply the total by 5. Repeat this twice more and allocate the three scores as desired between SIZ, INT and EDU.
Make a thread in the Applications folder to create your character. Background doesn’t have to be extensive but should include a link to Baxter L. Marsh, an architect who lives in Boston and who has asked your character for help with a personal matter concerning a property he owns.

Game Description:

A game of Lovecraftian horror set during the 1920s.

I haven't played CoC before, but I do love horror, cosmic horror, etc., so I'd be absolutely up for playing in this if I can get a handle on the rules...

I've always been looking for an excuse to dabble into CoC. I will check out the Quick Start rules and get back to this app.

What is your expectation for posting frequency?

3-4 times a week hopefully, or at least enough to keep things moving. If your character is playing a key role in a particular scene then you’ll need to be posting frequently. If you’re more peripheral to what’s going on at a particular time then you may not be expected to post quite as often.