New Monastic Tradition: Way of the Claw (5e) - Myth-Weavers

New Monastic Tradition: Way of the Claw (5e)

New Monastic Tradition: Way of the Claw (5e)

Okay, so for the update on May 15, I want to offer a new monk tradition/path called "The Way of the Claw." The idea is that it would be for evil dark folk monks, primarily kobolds and goblins. Anyone want to offer ideas as to what would be appropriate and balanced for such a monastic tradition?

Maybe the Claw Monk can do something like a Hex or the Hexblade's Curse on a hit, maybe with the expenditure of a ki point on a hit.

Nice, nice! Keep the ideas coming.

Way of the Evil Claw...

I get images of dark rooms, lit by flames from charcoal braziers hanging in the corners as initiates kneel while their claws (either natural or exotic weapons, maybe fluffed daggers) are annointed with special poisons or alchemical potions?

The idea that a claw draws blood suggests to me that ki points can be used to shape or address the effects that these poisons or chemicals could have on a cut or even a scratch inflicted on a victim, such as increased damage, perhaps fevers or other recurrent illnesses, at mid-level, the introduction of even mind-control effects equal to suggestion/hypnosis, and at the highest levels, prolonged or unstoppable bleeding or similar effects. I would also see the potential for ranged weapons like darts to fit into the same concept.

That's the kind of stuff I am looking for... a theme. Thanks! Keep it coming.

What do you guys think of this in terms of flavor and balance?

Way of the Claw Monastic Tradition

Claw Technique

Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you grow claws (or your natural claws become harder and sharper). Your unarmed strikes now deal 1d6 damage, increasing to 1d8 at 5th level, 1d10 at 11th level, and 1d12 at 17th level. In addition, when you hit with an unarmed strike, you may deal slashing damage instead of bludgeoning damage. Your skin also becomes tougher and thicker. You have resistance to slashing damage.

Secrets of the Kobold

At 6th level, you learn the way of strength from weakness. You may spend 1 ki point to gain advantage on attack rolls against creatures if at least one of your allies is within 5 ft. of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated. This effect lasts until the end of your next turn. If you hit a creature while this effect is active, you may spend an additional ki point to turn the hit into a critical hit.

Secrets of the Gnoll

At 11th level, you learn the way of ferocity. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on your turn, as a free action, you can move up to your speed and make a melee attack. If you hit with that melee attack, you may spend 1 ki point to turn the hit into a critical hit.

Secrets of the Troll

At 17th level, you learn the way of healing. You may spend 5 ki points to gain regeneration. For the next minute, if you have at least 1 hit point, you regain 10 Hit Points at the start of your turn. If you take acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of your next turn.

Cool, but why did you post this?

Some thoughts:
  • It's hard to built in their abilities without a theme. So far it's evil monk, mostly kobolds or goblins. I would take it a step further and make them savage, almost feral when fighting. Bestial. Make their powers having them grow more bestial as they gain in levels and power. Specific creatures doesn't sit right with me; I would go another route.
  • Claw Technique - I don't mind the first part of this and it adds +1 damage, which isn't much. The slashing resistance seems off. I feel like it could use something else here, but I'm not sure what. Maybe something like this?
  • Secrets of the Kobold - Don't kobolds get pack tactics anyway? I would go another way here. Devour or Bloodfeast - maybe something akin to Long Death monks where you heal from kills by devouring the heart those they kill. Maybe something like Wis + level healed? It's gross, but sets a tone for them. I feel this would be open to abuse and maybe set a long rest cap on the amount healed (maybe four times your level, better than Open Palm because you cannot heal it all at once); the idea is they are just full!
  • Secrets of the Gnoll - pretty meh for a level 11 power. Why not something like sharpening their claws. Using 1, maybe 2 ki points (as part of an attack action) gives them the wounding property for a round (+1d4 damage on each attack and continue to bleed, look at sword of wounding). Make the DC based on Wis + proficiency bonus.
  • Secrets of the Troll - I am not crazy about the name, but the ability is a good start. If you look at the 17th level powers, they are REALLY good: quivering palm (save or die), touch of long death (area effect up to 20d10 damage), opportunist (extra reaction attack). This should be a good feature! I would look to the regenerate spell and have it heal damage when initially activated. I also like the attaching limbs thing...because why not! Lastly consider the activation cost. Likely keep it an action instead of a bonus action.

I love the idea of this thought! Some potentially great flavor and could make some great bad guys. I like the advantage idea too for ki points (almost like a "rage" power), but couldn't find a way to squeeze it in. Maybe instead of the level 6 feature if each enemies to heal is too gross.

Thanks for the feedback!

What about this rework?

Way of the Claw Monastic Tradition

Claw Technique

Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you grow claws (or your natural claws become harder and sharper). Your unarmed strikes now deal 1d6 damage, increasing to 1d8 at 5th level, 1d10 at 11th level, and 1d12 at 17th level. When you hit with an unarmed strike, you may deal slashing damage instead of bludgeoning damage. In addition, when you hit a creature with an unarmed strike, you may also spend 1 ki point to make your opponent bleed. At the start of each of the creature’s turns, it takes 1 necrotic damage, and it can then make a Constitution saving throw, ending the bleeding effect on a success. This bleeding damage increases by 1 point at levels 5, 11, and 17.

Secret of Survival

At 6th level, you learn the discipline of the kobold and goblin, which are survivors. When you fail a saving throw, you may spend 3 ki points as a reaction to re-roll the saving throw.

Secret of Fury

At 11th level, you learn the discipline of the gnoll, which has endless ferocity. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on your turn, as a free action, you can move up to your speed and make a melee attack. If you hit with that melee attack, you may spend 1 ki point to turn the hit into a critical hit.

Secret of Indomitability

At 17th level, you learn the discipline of the troll, which is famous for regeneration. You may spend 7 ki points to cast regenerate without components.