Additional Players Needed for A New Nation (5e) - Myth-Weavers

Additional Players Needed for A New Nation (5e)

Old May 7 '19, 6:56pm
Wyrm

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Additional Players Needed for A New Nation (5e)

A New Nation - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

A New Nation looking for additional characters. There are two players who have been around since the beginning, but I'd like a larger party, so I'm looking for some add-ons. Please consider if you'll actually stick around before applying. It would be nice to have a consistent party.

Character Creation: Anything from the Players Handbook is allowed. If you're not human, you're probably not native to Hilbensal, so feel free to explain your background any way you want. We'll be using a point buy system (27 points). The characters originally started at 1st level but new players will start with the same XP as the current players. At the moment, the players have 2352 experience points, so expect to be at 3rd level.
We will be using the option to take feats.

Most Needed Classes: A rogue is the most needed class, but decisions will be made based on the quality of the application and my confidence that the player will stick around.

Religion/Gods: Hilbensal is a diverse blend of native and foreign cultures where numerous religions are found. You can worship any god, from another campaign, to ancestor worship, to nature worship, to your own invented pantheon, to real, existing religions. Ancroix's religion, for instance, is a loose translation of Christianity. If you're going to be a divine caster, I just ask that you choose the appropriate domains from the PHB that fit with whatever god you see yourself worshipping.

Magic: Both arcane and divine magic are quite rare. This won't affect what class you choose, but it may affect your ability to, for instance, replace lost spell books. People may be in awe of you, as well, which could work for or against you depending on the situation.

Posting Rate: I tend to post slow but I post reliably. Usually, I post at least once a week, often more regularly than that, but my job means my posting rate can fluctuate, especially if highly detailed posts are required from me. If you would like to join, please be able to post at least once a week. Even if it's slow, you can be confident I won't drop the game, as it's lasted three years now.

Game Style: I'm more of a role-player. You might encounter NPCs who are arrogant jerks, elf-hating racists, religious zealots and lying cheats. This is not a combat heavy game, but more of a story.

Story So Far: The party, a group of mercenaries, has uncovered a cannibal cult in the hills. It's leader, who self-styled himself a god, escaped, the cannibals turned on each other, and the party themselves escaped. They reported news of the cannibal cult to the king, who tasked them to investigate rumors that a murderer named Garthime had fled from Ancroix and may have come to the Hilben port town of Brevisa. A group of Ancroillaise travelers, led by Pere Chretien and Mere Purete, were heading to Brevisa to take a boat back to Ancroix and offered to pay the party to protect them while traveling there. Whil accompanying the Ancroillaise, the party uncovered evidence of a second cult (not a cannibal cult this time but an earth elemental cult), entered that cult's temple, freed some slaves, and escaped the temple although they left the cult leaders alive. The party is now accompanying the freed slaves and some others to a port to return them home. At the moment, the party has just stumbled upon a group of cannibals who just slaughtered a village.

To apply: Post your application in this thread. It's a good idea to PM me with your interest.

Acceptance: I'm looking for three more players. I'll start accepting applications on May 17. If I have to pick from a large group, your character description, background and playing/writing style will be what I'm considering. Once I have three accepted applications, I will stop accepting new applications regardless of the date. Either way, I'll close the ad on May 31 and not accept any new applications after that.

Game Description:

For 1000 years and across 1000 miles the purple banners of Essalim have flown over their empire. For 400 years they have flown over the small corner of the world known as Hilbensal, until the unthinkable happened 5 years ago.

There had never before been a people or a nation that made up Hilbensal. United only as an administrative unit within the Essalite Empire, the Hilben found their first common purpose in opposing the corruption of the colonial governor. When the local Essalite general Auderat Bersandi and his 10000 man army joined the rebels, it looked as if independence could come. But what would come were 5 years of chaos; mercenaries hired by both sides ran amuck victimizing the local population as often as they fought each other.

Bersandi and his army occupied the old Uhr Keep built by Essalim to protect against bandits and barbarians, it looked as if the Hilben were safe from invasion. The mighty Essalite navy threatened the coast, but with no Hilben navy to face they were useless. This left the former colonists free to try and stabilize their nation, but success in creating order has been spotty at best. Finding a true system of justice has been the most difficult administrative problem for the young nation. In it absence, bounty hunters have been employed to keep the order and find lawbreakers.

Six months ago, an army of 40,000 marched north from Essalim under the command of Tribune Atrox. Outnumbering Bersandiís men 4 to 1 and better equipped, it looked like Hilbensalís brief experiment in independence was doomed. Somehow, Bersandi managed to push the larger army into tight quarters, forcing them to engage in the narrow spit of land connecting it to the continent. Ignorant of the lay of the land and rushing to engage before winter fell, Atrox fell into Bersandiís trap and his army was destroyed. The land bridge where he was defeated has now been re-dubbed Atroxes Neck to honor both his folly and his beheading. No further invasion followed. It looks as if independence is truly here.

You are a band of bounty hunters. Perhaps you are one of Hilbensal's human natives, or perhaps you are one of the many foreigners of all races brought here in hopes of glory and a payday. Either way, you and your compatriots are all the fledgling nation has to keep order. It's a homebrew world but one I've barely created, so feel free to use creativity in your character background (with the proviso that I'm imagining Dark Ages Earth).

This is a 5th edition D&D game set in a homebrew world. I'm hoping for good role-players. I'm new to 5th edition and not a rules horse by nature, so you may have to bear with my fumbling through the 5th edition rules.

Completed

Allison Pax
Human Rogue (Thief) 3 CG

AC 14 HP 18 Speed 30ft

Str 10 (0) Dex 16 (3) Con 10 (0) Wis 12 (1) Int 12 (1) Cha 16 (3)

Attacks
Shortsword +5 1d6+3
Shortbow +5 1d6+3
Dagger +5 1d4+3
Dagger (Off-Hand) +5 1d4

Sneak Attack (2d6)
Expertise*
Cunning Action (+Thief Bonuses)
Second Story Work
Criminal Contact
False Identity: Seraphine Arcus

Looks good, I will look at your party and some of the story and see if any needs pop out to me.

Interesting premise, I wonder how the story will unfold.

@TheMCBookworm in this thread. It's best to start a post and edit it until completed, and maybe PM me when it's done and put "Final" in bold or something at the top. I'd rather that than numerous posts with updates to the application, and I''ll be able to easily identify which ones to read.
@8w_gremlin I assume you can see the existing threads in the game forum. Feel free to read through and see what I've said so far, get a sense of the game's writing, etc.

Gendrey Ablefoot

Gendrey padded his way silently down the hallway of the dungeon. His companions kept a safe distance behind him relying on the halfling's natural talent on remaining unseen and missing very little to alert them to danger. He had been with the group for the last two seasons and had grown comfortable with his role. 'Observe and report', he reminded himself fingering the hilt of his dagger as he ghosted his way down the hallway.

Poking his head into the crumbled room he saw movement and froze pulling his body tight against the wall. A long tail was just visible a moment before it disappeared behind some rubble. He took a step into the room his curiosity drawing him inward. An uncharacteristic scuff of his shoe announced his presence, however.

The lizard's head popped up, alerted by the sound. A grey green creature with a multitude of legs stood before him. He halted hoping that without movement the beast would lose him at this distance in the shadows. He looked at the creature and caught it's eye....
Gendrey's vision flashed. He lifted a hand to shade his vision from the sudden light. 'Where did that light come from?' standing before him were a small group of armed adventurers.... but not his own.

"Well met." said a woman in armor getting up from her kneeling position beside him. He did not recognize her nor the symbol emblazoned upon her shield. She smiled warmly, Gendrey felt only panic.

"The lizard," he said somewhat startled the realization of the danger the group was now in fully upon him again. "you should exercise caution, it was just here!"

One of the men chuckled, "Don't think it's much of a problem." he said trying to keep the mirth from his voice. "What year is it?"he asked.

'What year is it?', Gendrey though... 'What a strange question.' "1447 N.E.", he answered his eyes darting about the room looking for the dangerous lizard he saw a moment ago. The room was different. Brightly lit from a now non-existant ceiling. Overgrown vines crawled the walls and broken stone littered the hallway he had just come from. "What happened?..." he asked his mind swirling with questions.

"I'm sorry, little one.", said the woman. "It's 1852 N.E.
You've been petrified for 400 years."

Gendry Ablefoot
Lightfoot Halfling Rogue 2/ Monk 1 CG

AC 17 HP 21 Speed 25ft

Str 8 (-1) Dex 18 (4) Con 12 (1) Wis 16 (3) Int 10 (0) Cha 10 (0)

Attacks
Dagger +6 1d4+4
Shortbow +6 1d6+4
Unarmed +6 1d4+4

Sneak Attack (1d6)
Expertise* Stealth/Perception
Cunning Action
Unarmored Defense
Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFreebornManoftheUSA View Post
@8w_gremlin I assume you can see the existing threads in the game forum. Feel free to read through and see what I've said so far, get a sense of the game's writing, etc.
Will we be taking the place of the slaves?
just wondering about starting equipment etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8w_gremlin View Post
Will we be taking the place of the slaves?
No. Of former players who abandoned the game and whose PCs I've been NPCing (something I no longer want to do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8w_gremlin View Post
just wondering about starting equipment etc.
Hmmmm, that's a good question. The party doesn't have much in the way of magic items. I should probably do something about that. For now, though, roll as 1st level. According to the PHB, levels 1-4 get the same starting treasure.

Relgis

Relgis
CG Human (Variant) Ranger 3
HP:
28/28 | AC:
Studded Leather Armor+DEX
15 /
Studded Leather Armor+DEX + Dual Wielder Feat: You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:
• You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
• You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't light.
• You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.
16 | PP: 14 | HD: 3/3d10 |
DC12 +4 Spell Attack
Spellcasting slots
2/2
1st | Inspiration [ ]
Right Hand: | Left Hand: | Status: Normal

WIP

Braxcus Almsmauth Sheet
Neutral good Dragonborn Paladin 1, Warlock 2
HP: 26/26 AC: 18 Init: +0 Perception: 10 Speed 30ft
Divine Sense: 4/4 Lay on hands: 5/5 Breath weapon: 1/1
1st: 2/2