DC Universe - Page 6 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

DC Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrigan View Post
Nope, *all of them except Young Justice and Harley Quinn*.

In what decidedly look like a Californian villa, by the way.

Oh it embraced it tenfold.

Ah.

Eh, that's normal TV Budget stuff, I didn't care, I had super hero's Musketteer's and Time Pirates with Laser Guns fighting while the assassin chick was getting laid by The Queen Of France. It was hilariously awesome and stupid, and It was great. I could have gone with that being a whole episode.

... ... ... ... ... ... what the hell? Is, is that like a Feerbie or Tickle Me Elmo stand in being worshiped by Vikings as a god?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothsword117 View Post
Eh, that's normal TV Budget stuff, I didn't care, I had super hero's Musketteer's and Time Pirates with Laser Guns fighting while the assassin chick was getting laid by The Queen Of France. It was hilariously awesome and stupid, and It was great. I could have gone with that being a whole episode.
Well, there's budget limitation, and also there's... a tendancy to a certain offhandedness, to say it politely, that seems to quite systematically apply to whatever isn't the American culture.

I mean, I don't ask for HBO-levels of historical reconstitution. And I know this is in no way a problem that affects only this specific show. But it's a bit unsettling to find that they don't have problems to cast dozens of extras whenever the heroes walk through a U.S. city or town, but King Louis XIII has to make his own bed while waiting for his wife, in a "castle" that has not a single servant or courtier?

And without the "fun" parts you enjoyed to compensate, I remind that basically the same occured for a whole episode a few weeks later, when Nat lands in Feudal Japan, and the episode vilain is a Tokugawa shogun described as a local tyrant who wants to marry a peasant girl against her will. So Nat has to protect the girl and also protect his own armor / "exo-suit", because if he took it the local bully could threaten not only the village but maybe the region? Yeaaah... makes sense... only if you forget that the Tokugawas shoguns were the absolute rulers of the whole Japan from the dawn of 17th century to the first half of the 19th.

There's "normal TV budget stuff" and there's "not even trying", and banking on the viewers' ignorance. I'm pretty sure I spent more time and effort digging for bits of historical relevance the last time I created a Vampire: the Masquerade NPC. Like... I spent maybe one hour on Wikipedia.

Which leads up to why I enjoyed season 3. Again, it's not that they did better. Instead, they sort of defused any criticism by advance by making "not even trying" the aknowledged whole point. When you have Julius Caesar barging in Aruba and doing a rousing speech to a bunch of Spring breakers in order to enroll them in his army to conquer America, concern from even the most basic historical accuracy seems kinda beside the point. You just sit and enjoy the fun ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothsword117
... ... ... ... ... ... what the hell? Is, is that like a Feerbie or Tickle Me Elmo stand in being worshiped by Vikings as a god?
Spot on.

Praise Beebo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrigan View Post

Spot on.

Praise Beebo.
Fair enough on the other thing, but to get too the quoted part.

I, have a reputation in my IRL gaming group. Might have something to do with that one time a character I was playing used the invention of mass produced contraceptives and adult toys to facilitate using Tricked out Simalticrams and Magic Items to wind up up rooting the initial plan for the campaign in a D&D 3.5 game. (The DM recovered by just deciding the BBEG organizations nebulous goal wouldn't be revealed to be "take over the world." but instead "Summon an Elder Evil.", so that now it was justified to start throwing even crazier stuff at us, and a great time was had by all.).

But I'm gonna be GMing for the group soon. Mutants and Masterminds game in the DCU.

And I am so totally stealing this plan, and just adding too it. Like, Vikings are going to also wind up hi-jacking the Time Travel tech, coming too the modern world, but first Detouring too get Dinosaurs to use as mounts. And the Feerbie or Tickle Me Elmo stand in is going to have actual motion tracking and Lasers built into it's eyes because evil spy dude tried to steal and smuggle out tech from STAR Labs which is how this all got started.

You know what the hell wtih Evil Spy Dude, this is Kiteman's inadvertent doing!

I watched a bit of Titans. I was expecting it to be bad, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised! I wouldn't say it's amazing, but the first few episodes at least are actually, on the whole, pretty good.

I think part of the reason I dislike the whole "shared universe" thing is the immersion-breaking aspect. This isn't connected to any particular "canon" of Batman, so when I see Batman, I think the various different incarnations of Batman and it takes me out of the universe - now I'm thinking of comics vs films and I'm reminded that this is just a TV show. Contrast with Spiderman: Homecoming, for example, where Tony Stark features quite prominently but he fits with Iron Man the film. This is exaggerated by the fact that Titans conspicuously doesn't show Bruce Wayne even when it's unnatural not to (and despite having frequent flashbacks to Dick's past which they could actually just have left out, for the most part).

However, that's basically my only quibble with it so far. Well, also, some of the blood splashes look kind of weird, like they are deliberately fake-looking for stylish ascetic effect, but it's not a big thing.

I may watch more once I'm finished with the first draft of Booster Gold: The Movie.

I have also been watching Titans.

I was really happy with it the only let down I had was Dove and Hawk. They seem boring compared to the others and aren't really part of the gang.

Donna Troy made more a impact than they did for me so I hope in season 2 she becomes a regular or a main character.

I enjoy the dynamic.

Robin BeastBoy Raven Starfire.

So I like another girl on the team as it feels that Hawk and Dove aren't really members of the team but more like allies.

This is going to turn into pay TV all over again.

Want to watch cool things on CBS? CBS All Access
Disney things? Disney +
DC? DC Universe
etc etc

I would do a free preview of DC Universe but I don't know that I can justify paying for it on a monthly basis.

We just finished Season 3 of Young Justice, and I like it. I don't think I like it as much as Season 1, but it is still good.

Parental Note: If you are watching with the littles, season 3 (unrated) is much closer to PG-13 than seasons 1 and 2 (which were all rated TV-PG). We are not letting the 7 year-old watch just yet, primarily for the second reason I give below. She'd have nightmares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyArcanine View Post
I have also been watching Titans.

I was really happy with it the only let down I had was Dove and Hawk. They seem boring compared to the others and aren't really part of the gang.

Donna Troy made more a impact than they did for me so I hope in season 2 she becomes a regular or a main character.

I enjoy the dynamic.

Robin BeastBoy Raven Starfire.

So I like another girl on the team as it feels that Hawk and Dove aren't really members of the team but more like allies.
I honestly don't get the hate for the show. Yes, the promotional stuff was awful and I actually went into it fully expecting to hate it--Starfire in particular due to those initial photos--but I was absolutely blown away by it. Each episode just got better and better, and the finale did the one thing I honestly didn't expect they'd ever do in a million years despite all the references through the season, courtesy of the
Bat-embargo, considering that we not only saw an accurate portrayal of Batman for the first time ever in live-action (and yes, the movies have all done a cruddy job of portraying him), but he was kicking ass to boot! And no, not as a clumsy boxer in heavy armor just slugging badguys or shooting guns <gags>.
<spoiler>. And that cliffhanger scene? Holy snikeys.

Sure, some of the characters are less interesting than others, but when you have a ton of great characters, that's to be expected. Starfire completely blew me out of the water though. Sure, she doesn't look like her comic counterpart and she's not naive or ignorant about life on Earth, but that doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot considering how great she is on the show. Complaining that she's not bright orange 24/7 is just shallow when her actress is knocking her portrayal out of the ballpark.

All in all they did a fantastic job updating the story for a more mature audience, and some changes were clearly made. But considering that they all pretty much have their proper abilities, and they use them on a fairly regular basis, is just awesome.

I'm just always disappointed the DC can't take plots from some of the animated stuff and use that in live action films. I always feel like they just make the movies and know that they can bank on people's love of the characters to get them to buy the tickets, etc., instead of putting in effort.

And my biggest complaint for instance about Arrow, is that its gone Soap Opera, and should have ended a few seasons ago (read, after season 2).