General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Star Trek: Renegades New Episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
One of the biggest points of contention that I have with the new Regs that Paramount has put out for the development of fan based Trek films is a ceiling of $50,000 for the project. A half ways decent mock up of a star ship bridge is going to cost in the neighbourhood of $100,000.

The other main point I don't like is that any actor or production staff that have worked on a Trek film cannot be part of fan based projects. I have no idea how this is going to be enforced.

Note: In case I have to mention it. I don't think that any fan based Trek film I have seen is "crap". I used the term as I feel that is the way Paramount views things given the new Regs.
This is a place where I had zero knowledge before, so it is good to come here and learn new things. Yeah, barring actors or production staff from working on fan projects is just ridiculous. I kind of get where they are coming from, but there is 'unfortunately restrictive but understandable' and there is 'now you're just being a paranoid controlling douchebag'. That falls firmly in the latter category.

I'll go find a place to read up on Paramount's new regs, they sound a lot more restrictive than the mainstream news coverage I'd read had led me to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceHat View Post
This is a place where I had zero knowledge before, so it is good to come here and learn new things. Yeah, barring actors or production staff from working on fan projects is just ridiculous. I kind of get where they are coming from, but there is 'unfortunately restrictive but understandable' and there is 'now you're just being a paranoid controlling douchebag'. That falls firmly in the latter category.

I'll go find a place to read up on Paramount's new regs, they sound a lot more restrictive than the mainstream news coverage I'd read had led me to believe.
I can't link to anything ATM, but just google "paramount regulations for fan based films" and you should be able to find them. Now, I will qualify that I am working on what I read when they originally came out. They may have loosened up a little on some of the Regs since, but I doubt it.

Since we're talking Trek, I have create a Star Trek world here on Myth Weavers. Please feel free to comment on, suggest material, or add more.

No actor affiliated with Trek can be part of a fan-based film? Um, that could be problematic since Renagades has both Chekov and Tuvok involved. Yeah, and they've had Uhura.
Star Trek Continues managed to get the actor who played Apollo from "Who Morns for Adonis" reprise the roll in their first story.
All three crews have a number of professional actors.

I could see a rule saying "No actor currently involved in a Paramount Trek project can work on a fan project."

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
No actor affiliated with Trek can be part of a fan-based film? Um, that could be problematic since Renagades has both Chekov and Tuvok involved. Yeah, and they've had Uhura.
Star Trek Continues managed to get the actor who played Apollo from "Who Morns for Adonis" reprise the roll in their first story.

I could see a rule saying "No actor currently involved in a Paramount Trek project can work on a fan project."
Yeah but that is covered with their non-disclosure agreements.

PS: Don't forget the Emergency Medical Hologram/Dr. Lewis Zimmerman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post

No, major, actor currently in Star Trek project would take a role in a fan based film. Do you really think that Chris Pine, Karl Urban, Zachery Quninto would take a role in a fan based film? I doubt even many of the background actors would.

Most established Trek actors are in these fan based projects because they are invested in the characters and stories, and are thankful to the fan base that has supported them over all these years.

Renegades is no longer a Star-Trek-based series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
Renegades is no longer a Star-Trek-based series.
I think if you watch it you will find a small print Star Trek logo some where on the screen. Part of the new Regs you can't use Star Trek in the title, but you still need to have Star Trek some where on the screen to mark Paramount's IP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
I think if you watch it you will find a small print Star Trek logo some where on the screen. Part of the new Regs you can't use Star Trek in the title, but you still need to have Star Trek some where on the screen to mark Paramount's IP.
But they're not using any of Paramount/CBS copyrighted material. It was all taken out.

If you paid them enough, yes. They're actors. They need work. That's kinda their thing, when not involved in movies, tv shows, plays, or conventions.