General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Star Trek: Renegades New Episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
But they're not using any of Paramount/CBS copyrighted material. It was all taken out.
Obviously, they have cut ties, then. But, how is it a Star Trek fan film at this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
Obviously, they have cut ties, then. But, how is it a Star Trek fan film at this point?
It is made by and for fans of Star Trek...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
It's not but I can change the title of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceHat View Post
This is a place where I had zero knowledge before, so it is good to come here and learn new things. Yeah, barring actors or production staff from working on fan projects is just ridiculous. I kind of get where they are coming from, but there is 'unfortunately restrictive but understandable' and there is 'now you're just being a paranoid controlling douchebag'. That falls firmly in the latter category.

I'll go find a place to read up on Paramount's new regs, they sound a lot more restrictive than the mainstream news coverage I'd read had led me to believe.
Some of the highlights that I can remember.
-Official props and uniforms need to be used.
-"Star Trek" can't be in the main title.
-The film needs to be identified as "Star Trek" IP in fine print on the screen
-$50,000 dollar cap
-No Crowd funding
-The whole actor/production staff thing
-Can only be a maximum of 15 minutes
-If the story cannot be told in one 15 minute ep then a second 15 minute ep can be attached.

Plus a number of other points I can't remember.

Some of these could have been changed as I haven't read the new Regs since they cam out.

Newest ep of Continues is out. I think it's their last one. Pity. Was hoping they'd get to do the 40 episodes originally intended. Wish now I'd had more money to send to their crowd funding.
I'd like to see CBS Paramount licensing mess turn the idea of making an Original Time Line show over to these guys. I think they'd do a better job. Mignogna actually cares, knows the property, and can pull off Kirk without seeming like a doofus. Plus they already have the sets built, so they just need the $, actors, and permission.

Don't worry, I'm sure the upcoming Star Trek: Discovery will exceed everyone's expectations...expectations that are so low at the moment that they're several sediment layers into the earth, but expectations nonetheless.

At this point Discovery would exceed my expectations by actually finishing its first season.

To be 100% honest I am looking more forward to seeing "The Orville" then I am the new Trek. From what I've seen thus far...it really doesn't feel like Star Trek.