General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Jumping the Gun/Ruining the mood

Jumping the Gun/Ruining the mood

Once again, solstice holiday ornaments are out on shelves even before Halloween.
Thanksgiving is still 3 week away.
And the Black Friday/Cyber Monday ads are flooding TV and internet.

I'm sick to death of the smegging holidays, and they're over a month away.
Hell, I couldn't even be bothered with Halloween this year, and that's arguably my favorite holiday!

Is it just that I'm an ass? (honesty welcome--I said it first)
Or could it be that advertisers and corporate marketing has gone way too far?

It's not just you. I basically gave up on caring about the holidays back when X-mas specials for every cartoon was still a thing.

One reason I stopped watching television almost 20 years ago. I can only imagine it's gotten worse since then. Just keep your internet, set your ad filters to maximum and enjoy your netflix, chum. You will honestly be happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchant View Post
One reason I stopped watching television almost 20 years ago. I can only imagine it's gotten worse since then. Just keep your internet, set your ad filters to maximum and enjoy your netflix, chum. You will honestly be happier.
Actually not really. At least not on cable where I am at. Most of the time you just get the same 4-5 adds every single time in the exact same order so once you've seen it a couple times you can start changing the channel and know when to come back.

Oh, it's not just the ads that chased me away. That's just one factor. I am genuinely glad to not have cable in the house, despite being practically raised by it.

Netflix would be more enjoyable if they'd stop sponsoring so much complete&utter crap! Esp the "comedy" shows. Yuck.

Still sorta looking forward to watching "Bernard and the Genie" (all time best christmas movie) again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
Still sorta looking forward to watching "Bernard and the Genie" (all time best christmas movie) again.
I must respectfully disagree with you on this point. Best all-time Christmas movie would be "Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas". Hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow71 View Post
I must respectfully disagree with you on this point. Best all-time Christmas movie would be "Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas". Hands down.
That's a funny way to spell Die Hard.

Die Hard is an action movie that happens to take place on christmas eve.
Bernard & the Genie is actually about christmas, its corruption by consumerism, and fantasy vs reality. And it is frickin' hilarious.

Back to the point: I don't care what the holiday: if it lasts for 3-6 months, it isn't a holiday--it's normal life.
Marketing may get more $, but at the price of stripping away everything that the so-called 'holiday' is supposed to be about. It isn't special anymore.

Must be an american thing than. Where I am from if holiday marketing lasted for 3 months we would all be laughing about it. In fact, we rarely get holiday marketing any more in general. I don't even recall seeing an X-mass special in the last several years that was actually in the proper season and not just random reruns at a random time.

What gets me about the holidays is that they just don't mean anything. It's literally just a few days off with an excuse to optionally make a family feast. I can do that any time I want anyway. There is just nothing special about it all.