General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Jumping the Gun/Ruining the mood

It is not just american, Germany has it too, we have Speculatius which are supposed to be eaten from the first till the twenty-fourth of december (we call that "Advent's Zeit")...we could buy them since AUGUST...that's four WHOLE MONTHS EARLY.

EDIT: Also, yes, holidays seem to be getting further away from being anything special. Just as our major religions are losing a lot of their support (supposedly, I have no evidence, except hearing about it rather often). There is probably a lot of historic parallels and such, but I can't be asked to look for all that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinGin View Post
It is not just american, Germany has it too, we have Speculatius which are supposed to be eaten from the first till the twenty-fourth of december (we call that "Advent's Zeit")...we could buy them since AUGUST...that's four WHOLE MONTHS EARLY.
Oh, you are talking about the whole concept of a holiday season? We misunderstood each other. I am familiar with that and have zero problems with it.

I thought you were explicitly talking about holiday themed adds like how every season you get the regular adds for products, in particular products that have absolutely zero to do with the actual season all themed up. Like the Coca Cola adds that always feature santa when the season is there or mobile phone adds that are exactly the same garbage as the regular ones but everyone has a red hat and it's snowing. That's the thing that would be odd if it lasted for 3 months.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, yes, holidays seem to be getting further away from being anything special. Just as our major religions are losing a lot of their support (supposedly, I have no evidence, except hearing about it rather often). There is probably a lot of historic parallels and such, but I can't be asked to look for all that information.
They are not really loosing support any more. That trend has already peaked a long time ago. Rather what has been happening for almost a century now is that the religions them self are loosing significance. It's basically stopped being a thing you genuinely believe in and become a sort of cultural token.

Although I am not truly qualified to talk about it either being a staunch atheist.

I know not everyone is able to do this, and so it is not fair for me to say anyone should, but with everything in life you can choose to be bothered by it, or not. I mean, unless it is literally directly effecting you or a friend of course. I definitely don't mean to imply you should just ignore the pain in your chest because you don't want it to bother you.

But holiday decorations early? I'd rather enjoy the sparkle than let them bother me. Holiday commercials early? They're no different than regular commercials, just have snow in the background. Holiday treats available early? Just buy them when you want, not early.

Life is what you make it friend. And it is too short to be bothered by early holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Fate View Post
Life is what you make it friend. And it is too short to be bothered by early holidays.
But without impotent nerd rage masquerading as cleverness and intellectual superiority . . . what would become of the internet?

All kidding aside, I'm with Fate in the "ignore it tell you don't want to" camp.

I love my holidays. We do Halloween in October, Thanksgiving in November, and Christmas in December. I don't like to mix them up, but don't much care if the mall is decorated for Christmas in November. I even have a picture of my little sisters dressed up in Halloween costumes at the mall posing against a giant poster of "Santa coming soon!" I've never done anything related to Black Friday or Cyber Monday, mostly out of laziness, so my reaction to all the commercialization is mostly . . . meh.

That said, I do get a little frustrated that nearly all the outdoor lights are sold out by the end of November. It's a war on Christmas! Thanks Walmart!

Yea, it's not so much of a bother as it's just a drag. Holidays are just weakens by another name these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchern View Post
That said, I do get a little frustrated that nearly all the outdoor lights are sold out by the end of November.
This I would agree with i suppose, since it does actually effect you. I'm lucky here because my local super store has them on clearance after the season, and I stock up on them half price. Then if I can't untangle them next year, I don't fret, I just replace!

One advantage of living inside an apartment block is that I don't have to worry about decorating the outside.

I'm in sunny CA, so almost any winter-themed anything is a bit silly in anything before December.
Used to be that there was no advertising or anything before Thanksgiving. That was the whole point of Santa being on the last float of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade: That is the beginning of christmas shopping. No shops put out merchandise, and no ads were posted until then.
Now it seems like, since there is no money to be made from merchandising, Thanksgiving is going to flat-out disappear.
Halloween used to be about making your own costume, and trick-or-treating was about meeting your neighbors and showing off. Now it seems to be about meandering the malls and over-structured "fun".

Just a warning folks, don't take this conversation into Worldly Talk territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Just a warning folks, don't take this conversation into Worldly Talk territory.
How are we supposed to know where the line is given this topic? I am serious. We are going to need an official explanation here if we are going to obey this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
I'm in sunny CA, so almost any winter-themed anything is a bit silly in anything before December.
Used to be that there was no advertising or anything before Thanksgiving. That was the whole point of Santa being on the last float of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade: That is the beginning of christmas shopping. No shops put out merchandise, and no ads were posted until then.
Now it seems like, since there is no money to be made from merchandising, Thanksgiving is going to flat-out disappear.
Halloween used to be about making your own costume, and trick-or-treating was about meeting your neighbors and showing off. Now it seems to be about meandering the malls and over-structured "fun".
Now that is definitively an american thing. You have two holidays we here don't get and they sort of line up before the proper holiday season so you just get to milk it. Except you don't because consumerism. But still.

Me, I stopped caring once I grew old enough that staying up past midnight was no longer something you forced your self to do one day a year and became something I did every other day.