Boring Wealth by Level Experiment - Page 15 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Non Sequitur

A place for light-hearted forum games and other threads that don't promote discussion.

Boring Wealth by Level Experiment

Are there any randomly generated setbacks to this business? Obviously we are looking at a farm here, so bad weather, drought, frost?

How about competition? Size of market, expanding distribution costs? Employee theft? employee injuries? marauding invaders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
Are there any randomly generated setbacks to this business? Obviously we are looking at a farm here, so bad weather, drought, frost?

How about competition? Size of market, expanding distribution costs? Employee theft? employee injuries? marauding invaders?
There are rules for random events in the DMG2. However those are DM dependent and would grant XP. The issue is that they're DM dependent. Also they're completely moronic. Every month there's a 5% chance of a fire that outright destroys the business.

It's like pointing out that there are random encounter rules in the DMG. Every hour or so of travel you're suppose to roll for a random encounter, but no one does that because it's annoying as hell, and often ruins the DM's goal.

The objective of this is basically the question of "at the rate of one post a day, with that roll being 'I roll Profession', how fast would you level via Wealth by level?" compared to playing a game normally.

The logic is that many GMs have rules about posting rates, and so on. Also in AD&D you did level via gathering wealth, plus in a business game it's logical you would level via money.

Basically if you were allowed to level by wealth by level, how fast would you level if your single post a day was "I roll profession" with a week passing, followed up with "I roll profession and profit checks".

Needless to say, the data I have so far has come to the conclusion it is far faster. Either that or I'm a lousy DM who needs to give out levels far more often.

Then again, as many posters in this thread have pointed out, many games just flat out die before they hit a single real-world year. I admit many of my games die long before a year.

I more got bored than anything. I'll update it if you really want but I've been having medical issues and a lot of bookkeeping heavy games.

In all honesty, I just feel kind of annoyed that there's no real story here. I mean the experiment has pretty much already proved its point. The only thing left to do is get to level 20.

In all honesty, It would almost be faster to just code a spreadsheet to do it for me. Or just run a downtime game for the people who are actually interested in this.

Yes, you have proven the point. So, a Master Merchant takes ~7 years to reach Level 10.

As a Guildmaster is likely to have been in their trade for 30-40 years, they're not going to be level 1 commoners...