Boring Wealth by Level Experiment - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Non Sequitur

A place for light-hearted forum games and other threads that don't promote discussion.

Boring Wealth by Level Experiment

Ah!!! That makes perfect sense. Sorry, been playing pathfinder so much lately that I forgot there are other systems out there.

Is this dead now? I really wanted to see how it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Goddess View Post
Also the last update was on the 27th if you bothered to check the post.
Naa, all I know is that only new posts show up and none happened for over two weeks.

Tip for everyone: Edits to your posts don't register as new posts. I've had GMs append stuff to existing and apparently unfinished posts, and then wondering why nobody reacted to the edits. I recommend a short notice in the OOC thread in such a case.

~Month 14, Week 4: June 5st 2017~

Earned 22 gp.

1434 gp on hand.
50 gp in masterwork tools.
25 gp in Guild membership.
Total wealth: 1509 gp

~Month 14, Week 5: June 6st 2017~

Earned 22 gp. Paid 10 gp

1446 gp on hand.
Total wealth: 1521 gp

~Month 15, Week 1: June 7st 2017~

Earned 22 gp.

1468 gp on hand.
Total wealth: 1543 gp

~Month 15, Week 2: June 8st 2017~

Earned 22 gp.

1490 gp on hand.
Total wealth: 1565 gp

~Month 15, Week 3: June 9st 2017~

Earned 22 gp.

1512 gp on hand.
Total wealth: 1587 gp

~Month 15, Week 4: June 10st 2017~

Earned 22 gp.

1534 gp on hand.
Total wealth: 1609 gp

~Month 15, Week 5: June 11st 2017~

Earned 22 gp. Paid 10 gp.

1546 gp on hand.
Total wealth: 1621 gp

A thought occurs:

In order to make this accurate, you have to include food costs.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/...rinkAndLodging

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environmen...ationAndThirst

If we're being generous, that's at least two common meals per day (6sp- or 4.2 gold per week) just to main survivable levels of calories.

That'd... really drag this timeline out a while... also, there's the whole 'taxes' thing, but to my knowledge there are no actual rules for that.

PC is an Elan, already considered that. Also how many of your adventurer PCs bother to keep track of stuff like that? This is meant to compare leveling via the Realm Folded Tavern's rate of income, while leveling via WBL, compared to the rate of leveling normally...while playing play by post.

It's meant to compare it to playing through a module or adventure path on play by post, and comparing it to how long it takes in real time. I.e Would me leveling up via simply playing business owner in realm folded tavern and leveling via wealth by level, actually be faster than leveling via actually playing a module and dealing with combat, roleplaying and all that. (seriously the number of games I've had die, the instant combat showed up).

It's about rate of level up in real time, more than anything.

And no, claiming that you can "play a game where you auto-level every real life day" means nothing. Because this system is actually based on a game that I was actually playing in. It's the equivalent of using a game shark and claiming you completed your pokedex. It's meant to question how much time combat, and adventuring actually takes in terms of playing the game legit, and whether it actually is that fast in terms of leveling. Especially when games die and so on.

It's also an experiment for info in my own DMing, with me wondering if I'm giving levels out often enough. Since I don't tend to use the XP system.

I mean the person just doing profession leveled up month 8, week 4. So 39 days real time. So logically I think, if I start a campaign at level 1, I should at least have the PCs at level 2 after 39 days of play-by-post playing. Otherwise simply making a character and rolling profession 1/day would level up faster.

Quote:
PC is an Elan, already considered that.
Ah, fair enough.

Quote:
Also how many of your adventurer PCs bother to keep track of stuff like that?
Mine? All of them. At least until the ring of sustenance is purchased. Best. Item. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaNari View Post
Ah, fair enough.

Mine? All of them. At least until the ring of sustenance is purchased. Best. Item. Ever.
Also the only reason he's an Elan outside of the "El Presidente Immortal Ruler" joke, is in order to cut down on bookkeeping. Because if he was human, this build would be a lot more optimized. Skill focus for one.

Also this is a level 1, non-gestalt, 25 point buy (that's 3.5 point buy, not pathfinder point buy), build. Which is pretty much the most basic stat-line you can make. Find me a 3.5 game that doesn't have either 28 point buy, start at level 3 or higher, or gestalt, and that's ignoring the fact that this guy has ZERO flaws or variant rules out of unearthed arcana. The only way you could make this build more restrictive, is to make it core only, and quite frankly if you're not allowed to use the Master or the Merchant Princess, there's no point in running businesses. It would be like comparing the power level of magic and mundane, while banning all spellcasting classes except the truenamer, then claiming that magic sucks.

Outside of someone running a commoner game, or a darkest dungeon style "horror" game where PCs are suppose to die often and have low-power 20 or lower point buy while also starting at level 1, this is about the weakest stat-line you'll ever find in terms of a 3.5 game. These stats were chosen so I could basically look at almost any 3.5 game, and argue that this build would run faster in terms of real-time via using those creation rules instead.

Let's put it this way, the 4 games currently running ads for 3.5 games as of this post have the following starting characters builds.

1. Point buy 30, and starting at level 4.
2. Point buy 40, tristalt starting at level 8.
3. Gestalt level 10. Roll 6m4d6r1v1 3 times for ability scores.
4. Point buy 25, level 1. (Also run by a young adult dragon, so I'm curious how long the game will actually last. Remember that one of the questions I'm bringing up is how fast you're actually leveling if games just keep dying).

Just saying, if this was a trislalt, level 8, 40 point buy build, I would already be level 20. Maybe not that far, but I would at least have a shop with a LOT of upgrades. Probably pulling in 3000 gp or so a month. But that still raises the question. After 40 days or so pass, in their game, will they be at level 9? Although I'll have to wait til this build is level 8 leveling to level 9 to see how long I take for an actual comparison.

So was back reading to make sure I hadn't missed anything but is the experiment over or does it continue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaruAmoriani View Post
So was back reading to make sure I hadn't missed anything but is the experiment over or does it continue?
I'll update it when I get home. I pretty much just update it whenever I feel like it. I would update it more regularly but without any real data to compare it to....its pretty much impossible to get any kind of comparison rate or data outside of 'it takes this long to level up making money and not killing things."