What do you think of my multiclass? - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

What do you think of my multiclass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
A Beguiler would be great because there is little to no decision making in the character creation, but I wouldn't throw a Sorcerer at a new player, because you have to be careful in your spell choice and you can permanently gimp the character fairly easily. Likewise, as a Sorcerer you could accidentally stumble on a completely broken combo.
Yea, my bad. I forgot that the sorcerer does not get all his spells by default like the beguiler does. It's been ages since I did D&D.

Quote:
And I would throw a Barbarian at a player and specify that this is not the literary Conan -- maybe the Ahnuld Conan, but not the one you find in the comics or books. I would also specify that it is specifically the simplest introductory character I can make, and if you want to do fancy maneuvers or other fighting styles, that there are other trickier options to do that well. And that if you want to be the Literary Conan, you can do that too, but it'll be as complex as all hell; he was a ****ing badass.
The only true Conan is Arnold Conan.

Anyway, the entire point is that with a melee centric character you pretty much have the worst possible thing you can hand a new player. He basically gets a one trick pony whose only trick is "roll 1d20 + BAB". Oh, and you can like rage once a day. At best this is tedious. At worst it's frustrating.

By level 8, even without the 'Extra Rage' feat, a Barbarian can rage 3 times a day. And he gets a choice for when to do things like Power Attack, and by how much, and when to Charge, Withdraw, 5-foot-step, Full Attack, or Move and Attack. Sometimes they could even do things like attempt to Sunder, Trip, or Disarm, and they wouldn't be crap at them, because of the amount of strength they have and that they are wielding a two handed weapon. These can all be complex things for someone new, and they don't need any trap options making things hard for them. Granted, if I were making a character sheet for someone, I'd add some extra neat things to a Barbarian, but the point of telling a player to make a Barbarian themselves is useful because all you have to do is say, "Don't play a race with small size or a penalty to strength or constitution, make sure your strength and constitution are as high as you can make them, make sure to pick up the power attack feat, wield a Greatsword, and make your class Barbarian. Everything else is gravy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPQ_Purple View Post
The only true Conan is Arnold Conan.
You want to be reaaaaal careful where you say that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPQ_Purple View Post

The only true Conan is Arnold Conan..
The milius movie was a gigantic turd cast in the face of all Howard fans. Schwarzie might have made an excellent Gnorts the Barbarian, but he was as much Conan as I am the Pope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
The milius movie was a gigantic turd cast in the face of all Howard fans. Schwarzie might have made an excellent Gnorts the Barbarian, but he was as much Conan as I am the Pope.
Yea, like I can totally sympathies. I've been in a similar situations with works of literature I like. But honestly the movies are just really fun to watch. So I guess its just one of those taste things you can't debate.