Level-up Approvals - Page 15 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Level-up Approvals

Thanks for the look, Ealt. Corrections listed below:

Yeah, between being triple class (and all three of them either new or new variations) and having a companion she's a beast, for sure. I appreciate the reviews and all of the catches!

Hopefully she'll be fun to play - I think I have enough depth in her background to give both consistency and areas for growth.

Oh most definitely FJ. Three very different classes!

I still have two issues with your responses:

1) Based on rules as written, and the post found here, double slice doesn't work in this case. I looked into this pretty deeply when I built my rogue, and was disappointed to find this out, but it's true.

2) From the section on the SRD discussing a phantom's skills and the associated chart: "This lists the phantom’s total skill ranks. A phantom can assign skill ranks to any skills, but it must possess the appropriate appendage to use some skills. Phantoms with Intelligence scores above the base value modify these totals as normal (a phantom gains a number of skill ranks equal to 2 + its Intelligence modifier per Hit Die). A phantom can’t have more ranks in a skill than it has Hit Dice. Phantom skill ranks are set once chosen." Unless I missed something, your phantom is still at base Intelligence for a phantom and would get 2 skill points per level instead of whatever it would if calculated normally. I'm guessing the clause is there for an emotional focus that modifies Intelligence of the phantom.

As for the spell, it's a minor thing, and Burst of Insight already exists, so it doesn't bother me currently. Going forward, we'll have to see. Otherwise, I can agree with everything else.

Well, that does suck. I'll be taking a different feat.

So what if one uses some trick to bump the Phantoms INT from 7 to 8? Does it then lose one skill point per level because it's no longer at the base value?

There's really something wrong with that... You'd have to bump INT a full three points just to break even on skill points, and five points just to gain 1 skill point per level!? That can't be what they intended...

That's how I interpret it. I think it's built that way for interaction with magic items. Intelligence is the lowest stat for a phantom so it makes sense it would take a lot to bump up. I think they give the default of two points per level so they can have any skills at all without heavy investment, as you pointed out.

Still, getting smarter and losing skills. Wrong. Interaction with magic is already heavily penalized behaving to share slots. Plus, what if you use the ability increase at 5th to bump INT? That's not a magic item, but you still increase INT for a loss of skills. It doesn't take any more investment to bump a Phantoms INT than it does any other companion. Makes less than zero sense!

I think you guys are being silly. It says to use the phantom’s INT mod only if it’s above base value.